What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia V. Chile

aqua_duck

Coach
Overall we matched them just in attack they've got a world class player in Alexis Sanchez, we just haven't got that type of game breaker

Cammo

Bench
Can't be too unhappy with that performance. We were supposed to get flogged every game but we showed great signs during that match.

Created a lot of chances which is something that has been missing from our game for a long time.

Congrats Socceroos on showing some time ticker for the first time in a while. Future doesn't look as bad anymore

Misanthrope

Staff member
Really proud of that effort. Scoreline of 3-1 really wasn't a fair reflection of a game in which we harried and pressured them into virtual submission for the last 60-70 minutes.

They got lucky, they definitely got the rub of the refereeing, and we had a bit of bad luck with some of our chances.

If we play like that and go down 3-1 every game, I'm not going to be at all angry. We were entertaining, competitive, and we're doing it with a side that will only improve with more time together and more time with Ange's game plan.

pantherz9103

First Grade
We were the better performing side for the last hour but still lost 3-1. The poor start cost them. A player like Leckie showed what he can do. Could've lost 6-0 after the start so I'm proud of the performance and if all was fair we should have drawn the match. Oh well, The World Cup is a learning curve for the squad. We could easily lose all 3 games and come last in the cup even while playing good football. Couldn't have got a tougher draw but they will be better off as a team after this cup.

Last edited:

African Monkey

First Grade
Your fullbacks were very impressive I thought. A shame they were so slow out of the blocks.

Can't see Chile doing much with Medel and Jara as their centre halves. Both out of position and looked clueless against crosses.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't seen us play that well for sometime, we were outclassed no arguments there but I feel very prod.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Overall we matched them just in attack they've got a world class player in Alexis Sanchez, we just haven't got that type of game breaker

I didn't see Sanchez do anything other than fall over whenever a stiff wind brushed his delicate frame.

Yet Troisi and Cahill get roughly fouled and it's waved on? Oh, to be a European or South American team.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I haven't seen us play that well for sometime, we were outclassed no arguments there but I feel very prod.

I honestly felt we outclassed them over the course of the match. We don't have a player to match up to a Sanchez, but the team dynamic once they settled into the game had Chile rattled.

Your fullbacks were very impressive I thought. A shame they were so slow out of the blocks.

Can't see Chile doing much with Medel and Jara as their centre halves. Both out of position and looked clueless against crosses.

Davidson really impressed me, but all of them stood up and made a good account of themselves. Leckie and Bresciano were stellar, and Cahill was reliable.

My only 'meh' goes to James Troisi, who is fifteen flavours of 'meh'.

aqua_duck

Coach
I didn't see Sanchez do anything other than fall over whenever a stiff wind brushed his delicate frame.

Yet Troisi and Cahill get roughly fouled and it's waved on? Oh, to be a European or South American team.

Scored the 1st, set up the 2nd and created the majority of their chances.

Cletus

First Grade
So now we just need to beat Spain and Holland. Easy. I was pretty happy with that, yeah we're rubbish but I thought we'd be worse than that. Looking forward to the next two.

Misanthrope

Staff member
We're rubbish? Did you turn the game off after 15 minutes?

The only national team that has people saying "good on you!" for losing. No wonder we're sh*t.

Of course we'd prefer a win, but we're a side that just had the majority of its stars retire (most of them justified) and in a group with three sides labeled as contenders. We were never going to win a game, so all we can do is make improvements on the dynamic and build towards the Asian Cup and 2018.

The side out there today, with the exception of Bresciano and Cahill, is the nucleus of the side we'll take to Russia. It showed today that the future isn't as grim and dismal as the Osieck era would have had us believe.

If you can't take that as a positive, you've been following the Kangaroos in our (sadly) Mickey Mouse international scene for far too long.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
That was a terrific effort by the Australians imo, actually had the better of the game, aside from the first 15 mins...

I had expected a one sided affair, but you more than held your own, and created the chances to earn a better result.

Tough group this one

aqua_duck

Coach
Honestly not sure why people are having such a sook about the ref, Croatia and Mexico got truly dudded, we had a few 50/50 calls go against us nothing that was game changing