What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruiting Concerns

Leaguelegend20

Juniors
As it stands, we have made no signings by Rd 14 of the competition. This would fly with me, however our form is simply not good enough to think we can be lackadaisical in the recruiting department. By now, most teams with already strong squads (Souths, Warriors, Panthers) have been very active in the recruiting markets. I understand we have placed an emphasis on retention, however it concerns me we have not even been rumoured to sign anyone as of yet. If we leave it till after Round 26, we will be forced to sign duds and fringe depth players.

It has been years since we netted a massive signing, and it's f**king frustrating. Obviously our bargain purchases like Tapau and Gavet have ripped it up, but a big coup would be nice. I am going to email Meyer asking him for information on this, as well as searching for rumours of who we are looking at.

I'm wondering if any of you share in my concern of our seemingly constant inactivity in the player market.

Got the backbone of a great team already. Im happy to bank on our juniors atm.

Players to look to move on to create cap space if possible: Lawrence, Blair, Fulton, Lulia, Luani, Moltzen.

If anything would like strike outside back and barnstorming second rower.

Vic Mackey

Referee
We signed Aaron woods, that means we don't need to sign any good players, didn't you hear grants speech?

Fordy20

Juniors
I don't share your concerns. The club is in it's second year of rebuilding and is still dealing with the hangover of contracts from the previous administration, including it's former coach. We look thin at hooker, but I can't see anyone wanting to sign given they'll be squeezed between Farah and Cherrington just like Austin is squeezed between Anasta and Moses at the moment. It would be nice if we got Politoni back, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it since Luani is off contract in 2015 and Cherrington will be NSW Cup hooker by then.

The only person I'm worried about not signing is Potter. Despite the abundance of negative opinions on this forum, I hold him in high regard. He's exactly what the club needs for life after Sheens and Benji.

Leaguelegend20

Juniors
The only person I'm worried about not signing is Potter. Despite the abundance of negative opinions on this forum, I hold him in high regard. He's exactly what the club needs for life after Sheens and Benji.

I too rate Potter very very highly. I was one of his only fans around this time last year. But I just think we are reluctant to really exert ourselves in the player market like the other big clubs. Thats just how I see it.

Look at the Chooks, they've signed in the past 24 months; SBW, Maloney, Jennings, Casty, Mortimer, Moa.

Souths have signed; T'eo, Grant, Stewart and others.

Whilst our squad atm is very short from being brilliant, all the best sides know how to recruit and recruit well. Something we have never been able to get right since Gareth Ellis.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Mate, after the Tedesco saga, do you reckon they have any room under the salary cap to sign any big names next year?

Over the past year they have had to resign a lot of of players on increased contracts - Farah, Simona, Brooks, Moses, Woods, Nofo. Siro,Teddy.

As has been mentioned, unless they can move someone on, I doubt they have the space.

Last edited:

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I too rate Potter very very highly. I was one of his only fans around this time last year. But I just think we are reluctant to really exert ourselves in the player market like the other big clubs. Thats just how I see it.

Look at the Chooks, they've signed in the past 24 months; SBW, Maloney, Jennings, Casty, Mortimer, Moa.

Whilst our squad atm is very short from being brilliant, all the best sides know how to recruit and recruit well. Something we have never been able to get right since Gareth Ellis.

I think Potter has a lot of good points but I ask the question; is he using the players he does have available the best he could. You can have the best players in the game in your team but if they are not performing a coach is mad for perservering with them. Potter needs to rejig the team he has....

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member

One of his only fans?

Mate everyone here bar 1 or 2 have been fans of Potter since he took over.

BrotherJim05

Bench
We signed Aaron woods, that means we don't need to sign any good players, didn't you hear grants speech?

It may have annoyed people but Grant was speaking the truth. Signing Aaron Woods would be considered a marquee signing by any club, as with Tedesco.

We have the makings of a fantastic team. Once Moses is blooded, Simona moves to left side and Potter ends his 2 month drinking binge and goes back to his original strategy with four fowards on the bench....we won't need any signings.

On that note though, I really hope we resign Gavet

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd rather Lawrence be retained. He's a better centre than Lulia and any other options in Lower grades.

If he isn't to play NRL, he'd at least be a good enough back up.

He could also make a good back rower. He's slow for a centre but bloody quick for a back rower.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
Would love a decent center. It's a real shame Marion Seve is missing the year in the 20s. He may have been ready for a taste of firsts next year. Apparently Fine and taukafa have top 25 contracts for next year so I'm guessing we aren't really looking outside the squad

macnaz

Staff member
We have also signed his brother, FWIW.

Who knows Rosco , he could be great .. but just another gamble , fmd his joint is so hit and miss its not funny ... even when they get a winner the stupid merkins still haven't realised they have won.

The Rosco

Bench
Who knows Rosco , he could be great .. but just another gamble , fmd his joint is so hit and miss its not funny ... even when they get a winner the stupid merkins still haven't realised they have won.

Yeah Naz,
He's a big, rangy build like James.
Have you seen him in the lower grades, or is he filed away somewhere ?

I was having a beer with an old Magpies player the other day, and he agreed that Lawrence's time was just about up. Such a shame, but we gotta move on, I guess.

We have to catch up for that fish soon. You still at the same place ?
PM me and we can catch up.

macnaz

Staff member
Yeah Naz,
He's a big, rangy build like James.
Have you seen him in the lower grades, or is he filed away somewhere ?

I was having a beer with an old Magpies player the other day, and he agreed that Lawrence's time was just about up. Such a shame, but we gotta move on, I guess.

We have to catch up for that fish soon. You still at the same place ?
PM me and we can catch up.

No I cant say ive seen him play yet mate , hopefully he is champ.
Btw , ill pm u about the fishing etc Rosco :)

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Gould made a very pertinent comment when calling the Ttians V Dragons. He said how you need a few players to cover the most critical positions in a team.

While it is an obvious comment it got me to thinking that we have more depth than at at any time in the past but when you look at our spine we really don't have better than average replacements for Farah and Brooks. I accept Rowe is just OK and Moses is coming through.

Can anyone put me at ease as to how Cherrington is developing and who can step into the 7 should Brooks have a long term injury. If we are going to recruit I reckon our fowards are OK at the moment (maybe a gun second rower wouldn't hurt) but I really think we need something in place to cover the end of Farah (injured or retired) and a really solid half. The hard thing there is half backs don't like to play second fiddle in any team.

What do you guys thinK?

Fordy20

Juniors
It's hard to recruit for hooker at the moment. There's not a lot of good ones running around that haven't already been snapped up. Luani can't even cover for Farah during Origin, so I don't think he's an option for when Farah retires. Personally, I'd like to get Politoni back. He's clearly on the outer at the Sharks, stuck in NSW Cup. As for halfback, we've got former Junior Kangaroo Tim Moltzen waiting in the wings.