What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell Mitchell

Noa

First Grade
Not to mention was the 2nd best player in the Storms 2006 team and representing Australia at 19.

And he's not as fast as a young Inglis was. Nowhere near.

I have read other people's opinions that he has not even dominated in the NYC this season. Big call to compare him to the legend Inglis. He dominated against men scoring a dozen trys in q cup at 18 before he made his nrl debut. He might be as good as Jamie Lyon or Hayne, a level below hodges and Inglis.

Hodges better then Hayne :lol: GTFOH! Inglis you can make a case for but Hodges? Please!

Not to mention was the 2nd best player in the Storms 2006 team and representing Australia at 19.

And he's not as fast as a young Inglis was. Nowhere near.

He's as fast Inglis was at the same age, and Inglis at the same age was really lite and skinny compared to the frame Mitchell runs with.

Latrell has a year to go before he's 19, I have no doubt he could be playing for Australia by the end of the year.

Tommy Smith

Referee
The best fullback of the modern era - Billy Slater - was 3 months shy of his 20th birthday when he debuted. Mitchell only turned 18 five weeks ago.

The point is, players develop at different rates. Even if Mitchell isn't destroying teams on a weekly basis in the U20s doesn't mean that once he develops his game further and grows into his body, and he has A LOT of growing to do, that he won't dominate in 1st grade when he gets the opportunity.

Big Pete

Referee
You do these kids a disservice when you compare them to greats or say they can be even better.

Mitchell is a great prospect but we probably won't see it until 2017.

Son of Minto

Bench
Inglis was clowning on grown men as an 18yo in the Qld Cup, Mitchell isn't on his level although he does look promising

18?

Inglis was dominating Q Cup at 17 in 2004. Mitchell is a pretty good fullback in the Holden Cup at 18. Apart from both being Indigenous and playing fullback, there's no comparison.

18?

Inglis was dominating Q Cup at 17 in 2004. Mitchell is a pretty good fullback in the Holden Cup at 18. Apart from both being Indigenous and playing fullback, there's no comparison.

Latrell has been 17 for the season playing under 20's. Also the best talent don't end up playing NSW cup nowadays, they go straight from under 20's to first grade.

Son of Minto

Bench
Latrell has been 17 for the season playing under 20's.

Inglis TURNED 17 in 2004 and was scoring 4 tries in a game in the Qld Cup.

Also the best talent don't end up playing NSW cup nowadays, they go straight from under 20's to first grade.

Nope. A lot of U20s players spend time in NSW Cup/Qld Cup before first grade. I can name a number of the best players from Penrith/Brisbane/NQ/Canberra/Warriors who have this year.

If all the players dont play and he gets a jersey because theres no one left like Mata'utia did last year, then maybe. :lol:

Mata'utia didn't get that jersey for nothing. He atleast got chosen ahead of the likes of chambers, gagai, lafai, Wighton, Roberts and he also beat Johnston and tupou to grab a wing spot for Aus.

Inglis TURNED 17 in 2004 and was scoring 4 tries in a game in the Qld Cup.

Nope. A lot of U20s players spend time in NSW Cup/Qld Cup before first grade. I can name a number of the best players from Penrith/Brisbane/NQ/Canberra/Warriors who have this year.

Who are these players? I can name you a number of the ABSOLUTE TOP PLAYERS in the u20's who went straight to first grade. Eg DWZ, Milford, Johnston, Walker, Mata'utia, Brooks, Elgey, Klemmer, Moeroa, Cartwright etc

Inglis turned 17 at the beginning of 2004, Latrell was 17 for half this year and most of the season. Latrell is only 6 months older and playing NYC and would have been playing first grade had it not been for the 18 minimum rule.

Last edited:

Son of Minto

Bench
Mata'utia didn't get that jersey for nothing.

:lol:

Who are these players?

Rob Jennings, Brent Naden, Oliver Clark, Stanton Albert, Christian Crichton, James Fisher-Harris, Coen Hess, Braden Uele, Ashley Taylor, Paul Byrnes, George Fai, Ata Hingano, Toafofoa Sipley, Tevita Pangai, Andrew Heffernan. Thats off the top of my head.

Who are these players? I can name you a number of the ABSOLUTE TOP PLAYERS in the u20's who went straight to first grade. Eg DWZ, Milford, Johnston, Walker, Mata'utia, Brooks, Elgey, Klemmer, Moeroa, Cartwright etc

LOL. DWZ, Johnston, Walker, Brooks, Elgey, Moeroa, Cartwright all played NSW/Qld Cup before their NRL debut.

and would have been playing first grade had it not been for the 18 minimum rule.

No, he'd have played 1 game during Origin.

:lol:

Rob Jennings, Brent Naden, Oliver Clark, Stanton Albert, Christian Crichton, James Fisher-Harris, Coen Hess, Braden Uele, Ashley Taylor, Paul Byrnes, George Fai, Ata Hingano, Toafofoa Sipley, Tevita Pangai, Andrew Heffernan. Thats off the top of my head.

LOL. DWZ, Johnston, Walker, Brooks, Elgey, Moeroa, Cartwright all played NSW/Qld Cup before their NRL debut.

No, he'd have played 1 game during Origin.

A laugh doesn't answer anything.

Ok so what about Klemmer and Milford. Those two seem like the two best that have come out of each state, why didn't they play nsw cup first?

And probably more earlier on in the year.

Last edited:

half_back

Juniors
A laugh doesn't answer anything.

I couldn't find any record of dwz, walker, brooks, moeroa and Cartwright playing nsw cup before there NRL debut. I found it for Johnston and Elgey but not the rest.

And probably more earlier on in the year.

Moeroa played a single game for Wenty in Rd 17 last year the week before debuting against the Warriors.

Son of Minto

Bench
Ok so what about Klemmer and Milford. Those two seem like the two best that have come out of each state, why didn't they play nsw cup first?

Because they didnt need too? Thats not the point. You first said "the best talent don't end up playing NSW cup nowadays, they go straight from under 20's to first grade". Thats not true. As I've already pointed out A LOT of the best U20s players get elevated to NSW/Qld Cup before first grade, including almost ALL the examples you listed as the "ABSOLUTE TOP PLAYERS". Without looking it up, I'd say its more often now then a few years before.

Because they didnt need too? Thats not the point. You first said "the best talent don't end up playing NSW cup nowadays, they go straight from under 20's to first grade". Thats not true. As I've already pointed out A LOT of the best U20s players get elevated to NSW/Qld Cup before first grade, including almost ALL the examples you listed as the "ABSOLUTE TOP PLAYERS". Without looking it up, I'd say its more often now then a few years before.

i singled out Klemmer and Milford because they were the two best in there time in jrs. Same with Sione Mata'utia who was the best Jr in his year. Likewise Latrell is easily the best in his year.

Big Pete

Referee
Latrell Mitchell isn't even the best fullback this year, let alone best player.

If Trbojevic or Holmes were regulars, it would be them.

Since they're not, then it defaults to Paul Byrnes who has been killing it for the Broncos and continues to cut teams to ribbons with his kick returns. Did it about three times yesterday.

Mitchell is a good prospect, may even rival the likes of Hayne, Folau and Inglis with some luck but right now he doesn't compare to either of them at the same age.