What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16 teams

L

legend

I read in todays paper that the NRL was looking at having a sixteen team comp for next year with the Bears to move permanently to NorthPower, Manly to go back to Brookvale and of course Souths. I'm all for this to happen but the question I have to ask is there enough playing talent to cover two new sides?

If you look long term and the NRL gets the junior infrastructure up and running again then we could see the NRL return to the halcion days of the early to mid nineties.

Bebeto in Japan

Juniors
I believe what will happen is that we will have 15-16 teams but eventually, we will have clubs dying. With extra teams, we will have increased player payments, etc and that will kill some clubs. Still I prefer clubs dying by natural attrition rather than being kicked out like Souths were. But it will be good to see Manly back. Someone to hate.

imported_Storm

Juniors
The league could be self-sufficent on 16 teams the main problem is we have too many Sydney teams competiting for the same market. Sydney has a population of just under 5 million, bring back Manly, and we have a total of 9 teams in that market place, (well 8 if u don't include SGI)

Thats just over 550,000 people each club is competiting for, with not all of them likeing league. You meanwhile have a club like the Broncos who according to a recent survey have over 1.8 million activefans in an area inQueensland with over 3.5 million people. Surely enough people for another side???

Also Perth and Adeliade have markets that could be broken into. I have no arguements, Central Coast could sustain a team, but more or less saying u have Penrith, Canterbury, Parramatta, Wests, St George and Cronulla all competiting for South-West Sydney.

alien

Referee
I read in todays paper that the NRL was looking at having a sixteen team comp for next year with the Bears to move permanently to NorthPower, Manly to go back to Brookvale and of course Souths.

*BUMP* :)

I don't know why this didn't happen.

Latest posts