What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outside Backs for 2016

GC Dragon

Juniors
Yeah i agree the players/ coach / culture that he comes into is key. Still only young and has shown how destructive he can be . Wonder if we are looking at him .

Weipa Dragon

Juniors
Sometimes the smell
Is the one right under your nose. Here we are looking at backs from all over the place when we have plenty of up and comers playing for Saint George right now. How good have the roosters been with putting young wingers on the field. That young Elliot fella is a classic example. I'm no expert but isn't kiti glimin faster than anyone at the club. The 20s centre Isaac thompson, I've heard nothing but sterling reviews on. Tom Carr. Matt dufty looked incredible on his feet. We don't need to sign a bunch of average backs, because chances are we have some already, they just need the chance.

Last edited:

nrlnrl

First Grade
Sometimes the smell
Is the one right under your nose. Here we are looking at backs from all over the place when we have plenty of up and comers playing for Saint George right now. How good have the roosters been with putting young wingers on the field. That young Elliot fella is a classic example. I'm no expert but isn't kiti glimin faster than anyone at the club. The 20s centre Isaac thompson, I've heard nothing but sterling reviews on. Tom Carr. Matt dufty looked incredible on his feet. We don't need to sign a bunch of average backs, because chances are we have some already, they just need the chance.

Fair point, give them chances where possible. Glymin was unlucky was unlucky with injuries this season, so hard to know whether he's up to NRL standard yet. Thompson is still eligible for Holden Cup next year so it's his time to produce rather than live off potential - from what I saw this year he didn't really improve on last year's promising form. Matt Dufty is also still eligible for Holden Cup, he has shown plenty of ability in Under 20's & needs to be given some time in NSW Cup to see how he handles playing out of his age group - will size be an issue for him ? I've only seen Tom Carr play once & looked a good winger who knows how to finish. He's out of the comfort zone of Under 20's & will spend time in NSW Cup & could be given a chance in NRL in 2016.

Tom Carr has played alot of first grade in the Illawarra for sometime now.

I know its not anything like the NRL or even the NSW Cup but he at least knows what its like to play against older players.

I can see him having an excellent season in the NSW Cup next year.

Finger I think Cranston has moved on Daniella and N Smith did mid season and I was told he was another guy who got the shits with Logan.

Eather was another guy who wasn't spotted all year also.

BennyV

Referee
Tom Carr has played alot of first grade in the Illawarra for sometime now.

I know its not anything like the NRL or even the NSW Cup but he at least knows what its like to play against older players.

I can see him having an excellent season in the NSW Cup next year.

Needs to fill out a bit, but if/when he does he definitely has the speed and skill to play first grade in a few years.

Thats what Mary said Benny that he needs to fill out and they are going to work hard doing that.

Kitty put on some weight and he looked really good this year and i was glad they kept him.

Fingerbang

Bench
We had a centre who starred in the schoolboys rep team this year too....did we not? Might be worth giving him a shot in a higher grade too, such as NSW Cup. Nothing wrong with developing talent a little earlier, if they have the size to handle it.

Reuben Garrick played for Aus last night in the under 18's scored a try and kicked two goals.

Patrick Herbert also plays centre but can play right across the backline.

V

Vasilevsky

Needs to fill out a bit, but if/when he does he definitely has the speed and skill to play first grade in a few years.

That's all well and good but we need outside backs next year.

BennyV

Referee
That's all well and good but we need outside backs next year.

OH definitely - IF Mann doesnt play centres, then we need a left winger with a bit of pace and ability to finish (Mata'utia has good ability to create opportunities).

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Unless we are buying an outright superstar, I'd rather we take our chances on glymin, Carr, Thompson and dufty. Get these guys up to scratch next season by at least playing them in the cutters. And if the likes of flo, Aiken, matatuia or Dugan get injured, those young blokes need to get a go in first grade. How will we ever know if they are ready if we don't try? I'll cop a young guy making some rookie mistakes rather than a plodder like neilsen or Farrell.

V

Vasilevsky

I'll cop a young guy making some rookie mistakes rather than a plodder like neilsen or Farrell.

Absolutely though there is something to be said for ruining a young guys confidence by promoting him before he is ready. Still, in the outside backs the Dragons have only produced one guy (Aitken) who is 'ready' in the past 6 years.

V

Vasilevsky

Homies, anyone who pi**es me off gets labelled 'homie' so if you don't like it, don't pi** me off. Simple:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts