What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Bombers Bid

morley101

Juniors
The only time windows available are 9:30pm on a Friday or on a Saturday which would suit a Perth team.

Diesel

Referee
Time to bend Fox over and make them pay for expansion! That ninth game is going to be critical to Fox having any hope of getting NRL subscribers.

Exactly. Why pay for Fox when 1/2 the games are on FTA and scheduling is (supposedly) being made from the NRL not the tv channels.

RoosTah

Juniors
They're still talking about a close to $2bn final figure, but I just don't know how you get there if you've already sold off finals and Origin for $925 million... They were saying earlier this year that Origin alone is worth $500 million, so if all you have left is 4 round robin games a week how do you make up all that extra cash?

BuffaloRules

Coach
They're still talking about a close to $2bn final figure, but I just don't know how you get there if you've already sold off finals and Origin for $925 million... They were saying earlier this year that Origin alone is worth $500 million, so if all you have left is 4 round robin games a week how do you make up all that extra cash?

The $500 mil figure for Origin alone is fantasy...

Slothfield said it was worth $150 mil, so you would probably say $200-225 mil as he was as 50 per cent under with his other predictions...

pHyR3

Juniors

easy, you expand and have 5 matches. Last time fox paid 100 mil MORE than channel nine for 5 games versus 3 for nine.

Say they only put up 850 million this time for the remaining 5 games. 150 mil from NZ (100 mil last time), 20 mil from radio (about what AFL got last time) and you're at 1.95 billion. little top up from telstra and youve hit the 2 billion.

i'd estimate close to 2 billion in the end, hopefully they simulcast everything on fox. that will mean nine only gives 825 million as an option states 25 mil per year reduction for simulcasting.

Id rather the north sydney bears and brisbane bombers merge together as the brisbane bears or North Brisbane Bears. Least the club will have some history, leagyes club and a fan base in sydney and leave central coast for another sydney club.

If the bears are serious about coming back they have too look at the big picture

docbrown

Coach
Id rather the north sydney bears and brisbane bombers merge together as the brisbane bears or North Brisbane Bears. Least the club will have some history, leagyes club and a fan base in sydney and leave central coast for another sydney club.

If the bears are serious about coming back they have too look at the big picture

It's whether or not the Bears would risk permanent exile or be willing to exchange their brand for at least some representation in a new organisation. The Bears management would probably want control but I doubt it would happen.

What the Bears should do is apply for the tender in Brisbane, shore up Queensland corporate support, target the South & West & non-Broncos fans, play out of Lang Park & potentially ally themselves with the Brothers organisation to utilize an existing grassroots network. That would cover most of the bases.

Really, if they want back in it's now their best shot.

It's whether or not the Bears would risk permanent exile or be willing to exchange their brand for at least some representation in a new organisation. The Bears management would probably want control but I doubt it would happen.

What the Bears should do is apply for the tender in Brisbane, shore up Queensland corporate support, target the South & West & non-Broncos fans, play out of Lang Park & potentially ally themselves with the Brothers organisation to utilize an existing grassroots network. That would cover most of the bases.

Really, if they want back in it's now their best shot.

Thats what im thinking... they could even play one home game at North Sydney Oval against manly.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I cant imagine a former sydney team would be popular in Brisbane...

If the Bearrs are to come back (lets face it, CC aint happening), itd need to be Perth/Adeladie/Nz (maybe)/melbourne2 (long way off).

Im the first to advocate the value of old brands (#BringBackTheJets), but there are limitations to this worth. Brisbane has its own RL history to dig from, transplanting an ex-Sydney club would only validate the fear that the ARLC is still Sydney-centric.

gallagher

Juniors
Any new team will be drawing support from locals who probably follow an NRL team now. Locals would probably apt the new team over time. Relocating the sharks/ tigers or bringing back the bears/magpies won't really be that appealing for a new area.

spoonman

Juniors

That is an awesome idea!

Perth Red

Post Whore
From Facebook, Bombers

CEO Update – October 2015

What a year to be a Queenslander.

A record-smashing Origin win in the decider, the Telstra Premiership Grand Finalists and the NRL champions for 2015.

Not to mention the Interstate Championship holders (again), the biggest average crowd for a NRL season ever at Suncorp Stadium and participation at grass-roots as high as its ever been.

With the season officially over, discussion will shift to the footprint of the game and an anticipated formal announcement of a whole-of-game strategy coming from the NRL. This strategy announcement is expected to be multi-faceted, from the development of grass-roots programs, financial structures of the game, right through to proposed new franchises in the NRL over the coming years.

With half a decade of planning behind closed doors, coupled with our efforts across a variety of activities including the Pre-Season Charity Cup, commercial partnerships, corporate supporters and most importantly, you, our valued supporters, the Brisbane Bombers NRL Bid team are eagerly awaiting the coming announcement from the NRL. We are continually refining our bid processes in anticipation for a potential tender process and will keep you informed as an announcement is forthcoming from the NRL. Whilst there is no guarantee of success, our planning and processes, coupled with our personnel will ensure Brisbane has every opportunity for more of the greatest game of all on a weekly basis throughout the NRL Season.

On behalf of the Advisory Board, Directors and our Chairman, I sincerely thank-you for your support over the years. There have been many Brisbane Bombers supporters who were part of the announcement in February 2011 when the Bid was formally launched and I look forward to the opportunity to dialogue with you further over the coming months.

Buckle Up. #BNEBombers

Nerd

Bench
For mine the Brisbane Bombers sounds too much like the Brisbane Broncos. I think a team based in or around Ipswich would be more successful as the area is Rugby League heartland and one of the fastest growing regions in the country.

docbrown

Coach
For mine the Brisbane Bombers sounds too much like the Brisbane Broncos.

I would say the bigger issue is they sound too much like Essendon.

For an organisation that apparently prides itself on corporate wisdom why would you leave yourself open to an obvious intellectual property rights action?

May as well call them the Greater Western Brisbane Giants.

What ever our views on a name for the next NRL club in Qld are, we all know that when it happens, and it will, it will effectively kill off the 2 aFL clubs in Qld, and halt any plans the aFL had for burdening Queenslander's with another aFL club.
Great news for the good people of Queensland, and a relief that they have seen the last of aFL clubs in Queensland.

axe&smash&crush

Juniors
I would say the bigger issue is they sound too much like Essendon.

For an organisation that apparently prides itself on corporate wisdom why would you leave yourself open to an obvious intellectual property rights action?

Here, here. Been thinking this since I first saw them appear on that god awful footy show. All the planning and they come up with such a silly name.

siv

First Grade
Sorry not a fan of these maufactured teams where so many current clubs exist today

Prefer that we promote a current brand QLD Cup brand

DlEHARD

Juniors
A new Brisbane club would be wonderful for the game. It would be amazing.

Admitting the Broncos clone, the Bombers would be a total disaster and so very painful for the missed opportunities.

Diesel

Referee
A new Brisbane club would be wonderful for the game. It would be amazing.

Admitting the Broncos clone, the Bombers would be a total disaster and so very painful for the missed opportunities.

Agreed. I hope whoever decides on the best outcome for SEQ/Brisbane raises this question and I also hope they are a knowledgable person of rugby league and not some marketing junior from a PR company in the U.S. or Europe

I also realise Essendon have bigger legal things to deal with by why aren't they challenging or making noises about a potential NRL side called the Bombers

Latest posts