What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Bombers Bid

Perth Red

Post Whore
Because you cant copyright a sports club moniker. You can the brand logo and full business name but the moniker is generic and can be used as many times in as many sports as you like. The Titans could have used Dolphins if they wanted but felt it best not to get on the wrong side of Redcliffe and other BRL fans.

There was a case when Bradford Northern change to the Bradford bulls where the Chicago Bulls threatened court action but that was over the closeness of the logo, eventually they came to an agreement and the Bulls logo remained.

Bradford_Bulls-705x504.jpg

chicago_bulls_logo.jpg

bobmar28

Bench
For mine the Brisbane Bombers sounds too much like the Brisbane Broncos. I think a team based in or around Ipswich would be more successful as the area is Rugby League heartland and one of the fastest growing regions in the country.

Not to mention the Ipswich Jets just won the interstate cup.

docbrown

Coach
Because you cant copyright a sports club moniker. You can the brand logo and full business name but the moniker is generic and can be used as many times in as many sports as you like. The Titans could have used Dolphins if they wanted but felt it best not to get on the wrong side of Redcliffe and other BRL fans.

There was a case when Bradford Northern change to the Bradford bulls where the Chicago Bulls threatened court action but that was over the closeness of the logo, eventually they came to an agreement and the Bulls logo remained.

It's the infringement on the unique interpretation of the logo & business name that's key. Keep in mind in the case you cite they had to hire lawyers and had legal costs for what was essentially an American basketball side vs an English rugby league side competing in separate markets.

If I recall both Redcliffe & the AFL threatened legal action, in Essendon's case I suspect the fact that Brisbane are essentially are a non-franchise at the moment probably means they're not wasting money on lawyers currently but that could easily change if the Bombers are given the go-ahead.

There are similarities in the trademarks. They've both Australian. Both sports. Both 'football' sides. Both have an aviation theme. Both logos share a distinct V/wing shape. Brisbane were smart to avoid the red & black colour scheme & the plane logo -- to be honest though having a Bombers brand without a plane is kind of limiting. Imagine the Broncos being unable to use a horse in their logo...

Would the AFL still try to contest that some consumers could mistake the two brands? Probably. Whether or not they win is another argument but that's not really the point is it. The point is you try to avoid that kind of legal contest in the first place. That's why it's the West Coast Pirates and not the West Coast Eaglets.

docbrown

Coach
And yet Huddersfield Giants, hull sharks, Warrington Wolves, etc etc had no problems with existing sports clubs. The Bradford issue was over the bull logo similiarity not the name. And re pirates it's not exactly unique. Do agree though it was dumb to go there in the first place for the bombers.

Yeah it's not a guarantee (though with the AFL who knows?) but yeah the Bombers idea was definitely stupid.

Those other Pirates organisation are probably too small to make a fuss.

flippikat

Bench
I thought the rebranding of the WA Reds bid to become the West Coast Pirates was partly a move to differentiate them from Super Rugby's Queensland Reds.

Well, makes sense to me - since Super Rugby started in 1996 the Rugby team has strongly established ownership of that brand.

As well as that, the Reds name suits the rugby team better - they play in all red. A Perth-based NRL club looks likely to have a mix of red, black and yellow (or gold).

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
The Bombers plan is north side of Brissy - Somerset, Moreton and Sunshine Coast, up to CQ bid shires at Wide bay and steal as many North Brisbane City kids they can (Aspley etc)

Their plan is to lock the Broncos into Brisbane City (mainly south), Redlands and fight with the Titans for Ipswich, Logan and Lockyer shire kids.

Not saying that will happen but that is their plan.

Logically not a bad plan

NQ get all the north down to Mackay and all things west in the region
CQ get from Mackay to Maryborough and all things west in the region
Brisbane 2
Sunny Coast, Moreton, Somerset, Brisbane City North
Brisbane
Brisbane City, Redlands, Logan, Ipswich
Titans
Gold Coast, Scenic Rim, Logan, Ipswich, Tweed and Northern NSW (down to Newcastle)

I think CQ is a no brainer, they have all the right backing, government (bi-partisan and all levels, fed, state and local), commercial and obviously the people.

I would actually put them in before Brissy 2.

Perth is also a no brainer for me.
It would work.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I've heard from an insider why the brand changed happened but sworn to secrecy! It is quite amusing.

siv

First Grade
I thought the rebranding of the WA Reds bid to become the West Coast Pirates was partly a move to differentiate them from Super Rugby's Queensland Reds.

Well, makes sense to me - since Super Rugby started in 1996 the Rugby team has strongly established ownership of that brand.

As well as that, the Reds name suits the rugby team better - they play in all red. A Perth-based NRL club looks likely to have a mix of red, black and yellow (or gold).

Thought the Western Reds was a great name and purely Australuan using the big Red Kangaroo as their emblem

Sorry but I was disappointed when SL changed their name to Perth and then the Pirates

alien

Referee

the perth team has black and gold as 2 of their colours because black and gold are the state colours of western australia

alien

Referee
I think CQ is a no brainer, they have all the right backing, government (bi-partisan and all levels, fed, state and local), commercial and obviously the people.

I would actually put them in before Brissy 2.

rocky's population is below 100,000. i don't think they would be supported enough

In regards to the Bombers name and legalities, would not The Brisbane Bombers bring in other teams and names?
Balmain (Wests) Tigers - Richmond Tigers
Manly Sea Eagles - West Coast Eagles
North Sydney Bears - Brisbane Bears
Canterbury Bulldogs - Footscray Bulldogs
Western Suburbs Magpies - Collingwood Magpies

Or if you wanted to go further
NSW Blues - Carlton Blues
Australian National Rugby League Kangaroos - North Melbourne

Precedents have been set.
What was the story behind the Brisbane Lions AFL team and the registered name for the old NSL and Queensland Premier League team? The soccer team had the rights but agreed to change to Queensland Lions, I'm assuming a pay-off?

They have the Brisbane Roar (soccer) [Lion head logo] and Brisbane Lions (AFL)...this new NRL team should be the Brisbane Pride.

alien

Referee
i can't believe some people think the possible brisbane team being "bombers" would be an issue because of a melbourne australian football team.

axe&smash&crush

Juniors
Brisbane Bombers is a stupid name (rip off), awful logo, poor colours. Nrl need to eventually decide on the areas for expansion and allow time for tenders to build their case. Don't just let the first mob that comes along to be given a license

On another happy for a second Brisbane. Time for inclusion of team???

Latest posts