What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ron Massey Cup/Sydney Shield 2016

Joker44

Juniors
Teams and what competition for 2016

Asquith – RM/ SS
Auburn – RM/SS
Belrose – SS
Blacktown – RM/ SS
Cabramatta – RM/ SS
Concord Burwood – RM
East C’town – SS
Guildford – RM/ SS
Hills – RM/ SS
Mounties – RM/ SS
Kingsgrove – RM
Peninsula - SS
St Mary’s – RM/ SS
Wests – RM/ SS
Wenty – RM/ SS
Windsor – RM/ SS

Total: RM – 13/ SS - 14

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Would it be possible to have a promption and relegation system between RM and SS? The RMC has 13 teams at the minute, but if we could get 7 more clubs to step up to this level we could have two divisions of 10 clubs playing home and away. Maybe the likes of the entrance and others from outside sydney could come back in to the comp at some stage? Would require participation agreements between clubs and the leavue for set periods to avoid clubs coming in and out but imo it would be a far superior model than what is baaically first and reserve grade comps for the mega clubs of the region.

Broncos93

Juniors
Would it be possible to have a promption and relegation system between RM and SS? The RMC has 13 teams at the minute, but if we could get 7 more clubs to step up to this level we could have two divisions of 10 clubs playing home and away. Maybe the likes of the entrance and others from outside sydney could come back in to the comp at some stage? Would require participation agreements between clubs and the leavue for set periods to avoid clubs coming in and out but imo it would be a far superior model than what is baaically first and reserve grade comps for the mega clubs of the region.

No way with the current admin at NSWRL. For the level of footy played the competition is run very poorly. If they actually invested some funds and other resources your idea would be great, but I cant see it happening.

On another note, I am in complete disbelief that Kingsgrove are entering Ron Massey again. Its an absolute joke, they were fielding what was very close to a C grade side last season. They'd get hammered every week in shield, it's ridiculous that NSWRL are allowing them entry again.

Chris Hutchison, Premiership winning coach with Mounties has moved to Wests Tigers. Will be interesting to see how they fare this year and how many of last seasons squad stay with them. Wenty will be strong as usual, and Asquith have managed to keep majority of their side that reached the Grand Final. Ben Fisher has retired.

Apparently St Mary's have been splashing out the cash and are keen on taking both comps by storm next season. I've heard they've pinched a fair few of the fringe Penrith players who were at Windsor.

Trent Jennings, playing with Asquith last year and a former Parra prodigy is currently with Penrith NSW Cup squad with a contract signed with Blacktown should he play RMC. Heka Nanai has also signed with Blacktown, leaving Auburn and ensuring Blacktown will have some strike power on the edges next season.

magpie4ever

First Grade
No way with the current admin at NSWRL. For the level of footy played the competition is run very poorly. If they actually invested some funds and other resources your idea would be great, but I cant see it happening.

On another note, I am in complete disbelief that Kingsgrove are entering Ron Massey again. Its an absolute joke, they were fielding what was very close to a C grade side last season. They'd get hammered every week in shield, it's ridiculous that NSWRL are allowing them entry again.

Chris Hutchison, Premiership winning coach with Mounties has moved to Wests Tigers. Will be interesting to see how they fare this year and how many of last seasons squad stay with them. Wenty will be strong as usual, and Asquith have managed to keep majority of their side that reached the Grand Final. Ben Fisher has retired.

Apparently St Mary's have been splashing out the cash and are keen on taking both comps by storm next season. I've heard they've pinched a fair few of the fringe Penrith players who were at Windsor.

Trent Jennings, playing with Asquith last year and a former Parra prodigy is currently with Penrith NSW Cup squad with a contract signed with Blacktown should he play RMC. Heka Nanai has also signed with Blacktown, leaving Auburn and ensuring Blacktown will have some strike power on the edges next season.

What is Hutchison role at the Wests Tigers?

magpie4ever

First Grade

Promotion and relegation couldn't work, you could have Wenty S/S side replacing Wenty RMC side.

You need two separate club distinct comps.

rightleftin

Juniors

So far Blacktown have signed:

Heka Nanai (Auburn), Max Napa, Pierce Sapsford (Cabra), Trent Jennings (Asquith), Andrew Cartisano (Windsor) and Dwayne Brown (Wenty).

Jennings, Jerry Key, Stan Waqa, Josh Tangitau and Jordan Hall are training with Penrith over summer.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Promotion and relegation couldn't work, you could have Wenty S/S side replacing Wenty RMC side.

You need two separate club distinct comps.

Thats exactly my point every club would only have one team in the structure. Maybe a reserve comp could run in parallel for those interested, but for the top grade its one team only either in RMC or SS depending on performance.

CC_Roosters

First Grade

Was thinking there are 13 listed RMC clubs for 2016, add in 3 clubs who are playing SS only. That means you would only need to find 4 more clubs for a total of 20 in the structure, not entirely unlikely.

What sort of cost is involved in participating in either comp? Very hard to find information except on past winners.

Tigers1986

Juniors
They're having a laugh surely by having Kingsgrove run around in the RMC again. My goodness. 0-22 in 2015 with losses regularly over 30 points. How is that any good for the development of the division or the players in that team? They're an absolute laughing stock, easy beats, and a waste of potential injury/fatigue. They should be dropped to Sydney Shield and the NSWRL should bring back The Entrance and meet them 50/50 with the financial aspect of the comp.

kbw

Bench
They're having a laugh surely by having Kingsgrove run around in the RMC again. My goodness. 0-22 in 2015 with losses regularly over 30 points. How is that any good for the development of the division or the players in that team? They're an absolute laughing stock, easy beats, and a waste of potential injury/fatigue. They should be dropped to Sydney Shield and the NSWRL should bring back The Entrance and meet them 50/50 with the financial aspect of the comp.

I think there is some merit in them going down to the SS, but its interesting speaking to other RM players and coaches alot have nothing but respect for Kingsgrove and what they are doing.
Yes they had some horrible losses but they had some close games and from an outsiders perspective they might not have a great reputation but let me tell you within the RM comp they are respected for what they are, a development side that doesn't stop trying, with an average age of between 20 and 22.

On the Entrance coming back in, I was speaking to an official from the club and they want nothing to do with it due to the travel and they are happy staying in the CC

Broncos93

Juniors
I think there is some merit in them going down to the SS, but its interesting speaking to other RM players and coaches alot have nothing but respect for Kingsgrove and what they are doing.
Yes they had some horrible losses but they had some close games and from an outsiders perspective they might not have a great reputation but let me tell you within the RM comp they are respected for what they are, a development side that doesn't stop trying, with an average age of between 20 and 22.

On the Entrance coming back in, I was speaking to an official from the club and they want nothing to do with it due to the travel and they are happy staying in the CC

I cant say I've heard the same things re: Kingsgrove. Yes they have a go, but its counter productive to the players careers and the competition itself. They're in it purely so the Roosters have somewhere to send their fringe 20's, but they'd be better off playing shield or even local A grade. As they are, they're counted as a bye to every team that plays them.

So far Blacktown have signed:

Heka Nanai (Auburn), Max Napa, Pierce Sapsford (Cabra), Trent Jennings (Asquith), Andrew Cartisano (Windsor) and Dwayne Brown (Wenty).

Jennings, Jerry Key, Stan Waqa, Josh Tangitau and Jordan Hall are training with Penrith over summer.

I'm hearing there maybe a few more big signings @ Blacktown. They have kept a lot of their core group from last year and recruited well. Massive chance to match it with the big sides this season.

Don't know how true it is but I have heard Nathan Smith (Penrith/Canberra) and another former 1st grader have signed with St Marys. I also heard Ben Pomeroy's name thrown in a one of their signings.

rightleftin

Juniors
I'm hearing there maybe a few more big signings @ Blacktown. They have kept a lot of their core group from last year and recruited well. Massive chance to match it with the big sides this season.

Blacktown are providing good development opportunities by making big signings so that younger players benefit from the experience. In 2014 they didn't win too many games but the players got the chance to learn from ex Super League guys Mike Worrincy and Pat Weisner.

In 2015 a lot of young players were recruited and they won half of their games by season end regulars Stan Waqa, Josh Tangitau and Antonio Pelesesa all got starts in NSW Cup. More good development results.

It is unfortunate that some clubs use the term 'development" to avoid using "sub standard"

Latest posts