What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michael Clarke comeback.

When your back is f**ked it might impinge on your ability and in turn affect your passion for the game.

He will run rings at state and grade level so he won't need to work as hard and will likely enjoy it a bit more.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Is he, though?

Has he commentated on Nine since Hussey is back from BBL duties?

I reckon there is a good chance Nine has not made its mind whether to give him a contract next year with Hussey available full time.

Hussey seems more popular with the Australian audience.

I know Nine can hire whoever they want, and could easily hire both of them, but they only need so many commentators - how in demand is Clarke? Would Punter want him with him at Channel 10? Warne, well any commentary gig in the world would roll out the red carpet for him. But Clarke - I think Mr Cricket would be in higher demand.

He is a former test captain he will be able to get a gig somewhere

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Good luck to him.

Cricket runs through his veins.

You may dislike him, but he loves cricket, knows cricket and was damn good at it.

You do worse as a Twenty/20 team.

Great bat, not everything in 20/20 has to go over the ropes. Carpet works, can field, can bowl, probably better than ever.

Big Game experience.

Bet Wattos innings inspired he more...was there already.

Like I say good luck to him.

Will end up a Coach I reckon.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I thought when he retire he was burnt out physically and mentally.

obviously not

I think his back was a big part of it and wouldn't stand up to the 5 day game,

Voges is mush older and still laying test cricket

Wizardman

First Grade
Definitely the most unpopular test captain we have ever had. Our country craves on loving their test captains....Clarke never truly won the public.

typicalfan

Coach
Polarizing rather than unpopular. I think most loved his batting and captaincy on the field was great. Got the best out of guys like Johnson. Most questioned his captaincy and life away from cricket particularly during the Mickey Arthur era and working with certain players like Katich, O Keefe and Symonds.

Clarke was a good attacking batsman prior to devoting his time mainly to test cricket.

TheParraboy

Staff member
He was always going to play t20 imo, He still has a year to go for the Stars
He just didn't say anything about it when he retired during the ashes

Played some great knocks for Australia and his captaincy was usually far better than any of the captains he faced in his tenure

I wish him well

Polarizing rather than unpopular. I think most loved his batting and captaincy on the field was great. Got the best out of guys like Johnson. Most questioned his captaincy and life away from cricket particularly during the Mickey Arthur era and working with certain players like Katich, O Keefe and Symonds.

Clarke was a good attacking batsman prior to devoting his time mainly to test cricket.

Don't blame him for not getting along with SOK, he's a proper merkin.

Snappy

Coach
I'd love to see Clarke play BBL. Get him 'miked up' and audiences will embrace him, much like KP

Mr Bean

Juniors
Michael Clarke is making a comeback? Wake me when it's over
Andrew Webster February 19, 2016 - 11:23AM

In the absence of a reality TV show in the South African jungle, Michael Clarke makes a stunning return to the public spotlight this weekend when he takes the field for Western Suburbs in club cricket.
Actually, did he ever leave it?
Comeback kid: Former Australian skipper Michael Clarke will play for Wests this weekend.
Thousands of fans are expected to converge on Pratten Park to watch the former Australian captain launch his comeback to the game of bat and ball.
Excuse me if I don't make it. There are more pressing issues at hand, like plaiting my hair.

Only six months ago, Clarke told us it was "the right time" to retire from cricket after Australia handed back the Ashes urn to England.
There's nothing wrong with changing your mind.
But the well-orchestrated public relations operation that has surrounded Clarke's return has been unfurled with military precision.
The story of Clarke's comeback broke in News Corp newspapers on January 30.
He talked about the Western Suburbs match being a possible springboard to future BBL, IPL or Sheffield Shield appearances. And he didn't rule out a bid to represent his country again.

The timing of it was curious.
Behind the scenes, a story was brewing about Clarke's time on the celebrity-stacked Sydney-to-Hobart supermaxi Perpetual Loyal, which was forced to turn around and head back to Sydney with a damaged hull.
The boat is owned by Clarke's celebrity accountant mate Anthony Bell.
Bon voyage: Michael Clarke farewells wife Kyly Clarke ahead of last year's Sydney to Hobart. Rumours soon began circulating concerning Clarke's performance aboard Perpetual Loyal.

Bon voyage: Michael Clarke farewells wife Kyly Clarke ahead of last year's Sydney to Hobart. Rumours soon began circulating concerning Clarke's performance aboard Perpetual Loyal. Photo: Getty Images
Then Puppy's comeback story broke and interest in Perpetual Loyal suddenly slipped away.
"There's BBL next summer, I'd love to be a part of that, IPL, county cricket," Clarke said. "There's possibly even Sheffield Shield cricket for NSW."
Then he added this: "All I know is, I'll never say never to anything. I'll start with Western Suburbs and we will see where it takes me. For now, my focus is definitely the shorter format of the game."
Then Clarke went on the campaign trail like he was Hillary Clinton, discussing his comeback across various media platforms, all the way up until a week ago when he was asked – again – about his future.
Suddenly, he was pouring cold water on all the speculation about what this comeback match might mean.
"A lot of things have been written and said and I take that as a compliment that people still think I can play – BBL, county cricket, for NSW or whatever," he said.

In other words, "I would like to pour cold water on the speculation I started myself three weeks ago".
That, friends, is what you call "gibber".
So busy has Clarke been this week, PR dynamo Sally Burleigh – who has a business partnership with Bell – has been engaged to handle media inquiries. Burleigh did not return calls on Thursday.
To be honest, none of this surprises.
Following his retirement, Clarke stepped away from public life for about a nanosecond – something quite different from previous Australian captains, who usually take some time out.
Many within the cricket fraternity wonder exactly how far Clarke's comeback might extend.
He wasn't a successful Twenty20 player, retiring from the captaincy before he was pushed.
In terms of next summer's BBL, the Thunder and Sixers won't touch him, nor will the Melbourne Stars. As we understand it, NSW's Sheffield Shield side is hardly falling over itself to welcome him back into the fold.
There's a feeling among former and current players that Clarke could only sit on the periphery for so long.
Relevancy to a sportsman is almost as addictive as how many likes they get on a single Instagram post.

Clarke's best mate Shane Warne has never been able to stop staring into the bright lights. Whatever he says on I'm A Celebrity … Get Me Out Of Here! has now become daily click bait.
Get me out of the South African jungle. In Clarke's case, get me out of a struggling Test side for which I'm making no runs. Just don't get me out of the spotlight, because I've been enjoying it for far too long.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...n-its-over-20160218-gmxm2t.html#ixzz40f7dhC60
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

steggz

Juniors
So Clarke honestly answers a question ("who knows where this will go?"), then honestly responds to speculation ("I don't know where this will go, I'm just focusing on one match at the moment") and Webster has a problem with his consistency? Not buying this one