What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

?? G.C. bears for 2017 ??

_Johnsy

Referee
Saw this on twitter, personally I can't see it eventuating, however as a GC resident I can't say I'd be unhappy about it.

Vic Mackey

Referee
A name change is definitely what the Gold Coast need to be successful, if only they'd thought of it previously.

Reactions: Vee

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
A name change is definitely what the Gold Coast need to be successful, if only they'd thought of it previously.

Pretty much. Why would the Central Coast ever take a risk on the GC now? The Suns have a serviceable following but nowhere near the domination the AFL were hoping for, and that is in spite of the Titans not even being a threat to them in the region. The place is truly where Professional Sport goes to die.

flippikat

Bench
Never heard of that guy. Grain of salt.

That's pretty much what I was thinking.

We've heard this before.. either rumours or people here suggesting it as a solution for any number of problems (giving the Gold Coast a more marketable brand, righting the injustice served to Norths fans, solving the expansion dilemma of having 3 strong bids -Bears, Perth & Brisbane2 yet only 2 spots if we only want 18 teams..) - but the talk has just been that, talk.

Will be interesting to see if this has any legs, but I'm not holding my breath.

Diesel

Coach
There was an article last year that wasn't dismissed by anyone IIRC and the Bears are never going to get a team on the CC now so a relocation is their only option. Can the CC Bears buy the Titans licence if the NRL was looking for a buyer of the GC licence?

Last Week

Bench
I fail to see how a name change will solve the Titans' problems. New management which is already happening and a new/cheaper stadium deal.

Having Bears as the mascot and, God forbid, games also played on the Central Coast or NSO, won't solve anything.

Last Week

Bench
Will they even be allowed to use the Bears logo? They weren't allowed to use the Dolphins mascot because of the Sunshine Coast. Will Burleigh be more accommodating?

jim_57

Staff member
Would be a pointless, sideways at best step.

What I think the Titans really need is to start phasing out their journeymen and targeting local born and bred players. I don't think anyone sees them as a true QLD team, more a plastic mix-match team. A few successful years on the pitch with a key group of likeable QLD players will more good than any name change will.

As strange as it sounds I think even having the likes of Greg Bird in the team is a big detractor. A mix trying to nail down the best local youth and a few big name QLD signings should have a Gold Coast team back on the right track to being embraced by the Gold Coast and Queensland public.

Last edited:

T.S Quint

Coach
Maybe they should try and sign up one of the best halves in the game.
Daly Cherry-Evans for example.

no name

Coach
Would be a pointless, sideways at best step.

What I think the Titans really need is to start phasing out their journeymen and targeting local born and bred players. I don't think anyone sees them as a true QLD team, more a plastic mix-match team. A few successful years on the pitch with a key group of likeable QLD players will more good than any name change will.

As strange as it sounds I think even having the likes of Greg Bird in the team is a big detractor. A mix trying to nail down the best local youth and a few big name QLD signings should have a Gold Coast team back on the right track to being embraced by the Gold Coast and Queensland public.

That's the main issue.
The Titans recruitment and development is terrible.
They look for the wrong type of player. They go for the flashy showman instead of the steady hard worker.
Other teams have and will continue to get the best GC and Northern Rivers juniors while the current development team is in place.

Well in the new nrl add... there is a guy wearing a north sydney bears retro shirt... maybe it's a sign????... spokey

THE North Sydney Bears are set for a shock return to top flight football – via the Gold Coast.

"" style="box-sizing: border-box; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; text-rendering: optimizelegibility; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; line-height: inherit; vertical-align: bottom; width: 300px;">

RLW*has learned that there are moves for the Bears to buy out the struggling Titans franchise – and rename the team the Gold Coast Bears.

The team will continue to play out of the Gold Coast, but may also take several games a season to the Bears’ home base on the NSW Central Coast.

The Titans went into voluntary administration last year and the club is currently being administered by the NRL.

The NRL would love for someone to take over the running of the team, and the Bears – who last played in the big league in 1999 – are keen to take up the challenge.

"" style="box-sizing: border-box; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; text-rendering: optimizelegibility; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; line-height: inherit; vertical-align: bottom; width: 300px;">

Officials are remaining tight-lipped about the takeover but top secret moves are underway behind the scenes.

The Titans will remain as they are for this season, but could well be known as the Gold Coast Bears by next season.

The Bears already have a presence on the Gold Coast, with the massive Seagulls Leagues Club in Tweed Heads owned by North Sydney Leagues Club, whose finances keep the Bears alive.

North Sydney still have a team in the NSW Cup and teams at junior level, but died as a top grade club after an ill-fated venture with Manly – known as the Northern Eagles – collapsed in 2002.

The NRL is keen to see top class league on the NSW Central Coast – a massive growth area – and the return of the Bears would be the first step towards this.

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/bears-set-for-shock-nrl-return/

Latest posts