What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can we learn something from super rugby?

Sinman

Juniors
With still one weekend to go till the NRL and thus being RL deprived I have had a bit of a look at the new teams coming into Super Rugby and as I have done so I am feeling a bit jealous of how they have expanded the competition so well.. I think personally we can learn a great deal from super rugby not just for the NRL and for the ESL.. Put some money into supporting new area's and new countries having teams and you can spread the game in significant ways.. I hope the NRL in particular takes some notice and seeks to grow a grander vision for the game.​

Perth Red

Post Whore
In my lifetime watching RL, Union has expanded to have prof comps in Argentina, Japan, Italy, Russia etc. it has developed a format that is now an Olympic and commonwealth sport, it has a thorough international calendar and plan, has multi national club competitions in both hemispheres and Has overtaken RL as the number one professional rugby code. All that despite being a very poor imitation of RL.
RL? Well it once had a team in Paris and London, has managed to expand to one new city in Melbourne and that's about it. Not sure if we have something to learn? Lol

BuffaloRules

Coach
The revenue in the game(NRL) has increased about a thousand percent in the last 20 years but it's all
doom and gloom because there isn't a team in Perth...

It's never going to be Union but it's come a fair way..

Last Week

Bench
In my lifetime watching RL, Union has expanded to have prof comps in Argentina, Japan, Italy, Russia etc. it has developed a format that is now an Olympic and commonwealth sport, it has a thorough international calendar and plan, has multi national club competitions in both hemispheres and Has overtaken RL as the number one professional rugby code. All that despite being a very poor imitation of RL.
RL? Well it once had a team in Paris and London, has managed to expand to one new city in Melbourne and that's about it. Not sure if we have something to learn? Lol

Yep. You're not negative, you just enjoy having analytical debates about Rugby League.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So come on you who say I'm just whinging tell us why you think I'm wrong or why you think in the last 30 years league has expanded it global presence better than Union? That's right you can't, you just like to whinge about me lol. And you call me a whinger!

Anyone know a league website where intellectual people can actually debate the game rather than just attack other posters?

BuffaloRules

Coach
30 years ago the NRL didn't exist and its ancestor was a Sydney competition.

Super Rugby in that time has expanded from 2 Teams in Aust to 5...

Also, despite Unions presence around the world, a country with 4 million people and half the GDP of Sydney wins 90% of their games and start every World Cup $1.60 favourites.

applesauce

Bench
Yep. You're not negative, you just enjoy having analytical debates about Rugby League.

Stop being an internet cop FFS.

Nothing he said was wrong or irrelevant to the conversation. The world is not filled with opinions that mirror yours.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Whilst we are learning so much from Super Rugby, maybe they could give us some pointers about trying to turn around our reduction in crowd numbers?

I see the NSW v QLD game which they promote as their " State of Origin" got 24k on a pleasant Sydney evening last night...

10 years ago this game was getting 55-60k and they had to move the game from Allianz to ANZ...

But... But.., things must be great because they have put a team into Tokyo!!

Knownothing

Juniors
30 years ago the NRL didn't exist and its ancestor was a Sydney competition.

Super Rugby in that time has expanded from 2 Teams in Aust to 5...

Rugby union only went professional 20 years ago.

Also, despite Unions presence around the world, a country with 4 million people and half the GDP of Sydney wins 90% of their games and start every World Cup $1.60 favourites.

New Zealand have won 3 World Cups, we have won 2, so have South Africa. New Zealand only just scrapes home against France in 2011, and we gave them a fright last year (after a year of turmoil).

The popularity of the Rugby Union World Cup does not seem to have been affected by the dominance of the All Blacks. Huge tv audiences in Japan and even some countries (like Germany) where the game is relatively unimportant.

BuffaloRules

Coach
The popularity of the Rugby Union World Cup does not seem to have been affected by the dominance of the All Blacks. Huge tv audiences in Japan and even some countries (like Germany) where the game is relatively unimportant.

Germany please...

Also Australia gets huge TV audiences when their national team play at the FIFA World Cup.

What do we make of that In regards to soccer's place in Australian sport?

People being nationalistic for a few weeks once every 4 years is not necessarily a pointer to how the sport is travelling in that country.

In respect of NZ dominance of Rugby ( one loss at the last 3 RWC and about a 90% win rate in that time against all comers) does not indicate to me that the sport is in good health on the field...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Don't think they have anything to teach us in regards to the two rugby codes in Australia (the Western Force nearly went bankrupt this year and had to be bailed out by the ARU!), but on a bigger world stage they pss all over us sadly. But everything is good in Australia so screw the rest. We have a very American attitude sometimes. Surprised the NRL hasn't moved to crowd the SOO winners world champions yet!

Knownothing

Juniors
Don't think they have anything to teach us in regards to the two rugby codes in Australia (the Western Force nearly went bankrupt this year and had to be bailed out by the ARU!), but on a bigger world stage they pss all over us sadly. But everything is good in Australia so screw the rest. We have a very American attitude sometimes. Surprised the NRL hasn't moved to crowd the SOO winners world champions yet!

When does the GPS rugby league competition start?

BuffaloRules

Coach
but on a bigger world stage they pss all over us sadly.

You think?

Would putting an NRL team in Perth change that?

What else do you suggest the NRL does to make it so NRL is the one doing the urinating on the "bigger world stage"?..

Assume its a fight they will have to undertake on their own, given the state of the game in the Old Dart at the moment...

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal

If you can't see his point then any analytical debate would be lost on you anyway.

I think their expansion plan is overly ambitious - stretched too far for my liking - but I wish we had half the balls they did. Perth and NZ2 are obvious targets that should have been hit 5 years ago or more. Our anti-expansion attitude is baffling.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You think?

Would putting an NRL team in Perth change that?

What else do you suggest the NRL does to make it so NRL is the one doing the urinating on the "bigger world stage"?..

Assume its a fight they will have to undertake on their own, given the state of the game in the Old Dart at the moment...

It'd be a start, along with teams in Adelaide and Wellington and brisbane2

It could also take a lead in the RLIF and contribute to a proper international calendar instead of doing things like pulling an Ashes tour and wrapping the kangaroos in cotton wool that damages the Int game. It could do more to foster League in PNG, SA and other Pacific Islands to bring them up to a better Int standard. It could challenge Union that touch footy is a rugby union derivative rather than League in countries where they are peddling that BS, it could take Nines seriously with the aim of getting it into International events like Olympics, it could agree to have one set of rules for the world instead of being a big part of every country playing the game differently. Just a fe a things off the top of my head!

NRL is the biggest, richest and most powerful RL body in the world, it should be showing leadership on a global scale.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You new to this area? Lol

Brisbane2 has potential to add another very strong club in an under exploited market region. NRL and RL will only grow significantly if clubs are strong and sustainable. Brisbane 2 is the best option for adding strength to the comp allowing it to move into riskier markets from a position of comfort.

Bronxnation

Juniors
You new to this area? Lol

Brisbane2 has potential to add another very strong club in an under exploited market region. NRL and RL will only grow significantly if clubs are strong and sustainable. Brisbane 2 is the best option for adding strength to the comp allowing it to move into riskier markets from a position of comfort.

Yeah, i understand what you are saying capture more of the market but where exactly in brisbane do you put it?
have you ever been to brisbane? the only thing the nrl could possible use is the north vs south rivalry but with suncorp the only sufficient stadium there is no point playing both teams there as why would the south team want to have home games on the north?
then there rises another problem,
with brisbane we have never really been divided. (AFL 1 team, RU 1 team, Soccer 1 team) so what happens to the broncos? they have to go to north or south which would then frustrate the supporters on the opposite side... i dont think loyal and passionate fans would be thrilled with a team coming in and taking over their area whilst their original team gets moved to their rivals territory?
make sense?