What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul MacGregor and Trent Barrett

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
These two players played for the Illawarra Steelers and St George at the same time. Their careers overlapped from 1996 to 2001 at these two clubs.

In 2016, they are coaching two of the worst teams in the competition.

Conclusion: Ex players from the Illawarra Steelers who went on to play for St George make shit first grade NRL coaches.

Feel free to comment.

Both played with Nathan Brown in 1999 and 2000 so possibly the 3 worst coaches in the comp are St George Illawarra JV foundation players...

Who knows, one of em might come good.

On the Steelers -> Dragons note. Interesting that Craig Fitzgibbon is the new country coach.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
I'd agree that the writing is on the wall for McGregor, but waaay too early to call Barrett a shit coach.

And Brown can be judged in 2 years after he tries to dismantle and rebuild that basket case in Newcastle.

blaza88z

Coach
I like what Brown is doing and I am not even a Newcastle fan, it takes guts to walk into a club and back the juniors to come through the ranks and get the job done, it would be much easier to buy some talent Wayne Bennett style so that when your tenure is over, you can walk on out and leave the club in a bad situation

Barrett seems to be doing a good job as well, losing DCE has f**ked them over, as well as the scheduling

--Storm--

Juniors
I'd agree that the writing is on the wall for McGregor, but waaay too early to call Barrett a shit coach.

And Brown can be judged in 2 years after he tries to dismantle and rebuild that basket case in Newcastle.

While the bloke that caused the mess in Bennett coaches the best team in the comp. All Bennett wanted from Newy was a quick premiership with another club and he's recruitment showed that.

Noname36

First Grade
Might sound strange because we haven't won a game but I think Brown is doing a very good job with the Knights. Not many coaches would have the guts to put so much faith in so many inexperienced kids knowing full well it's going to take them a while to learn how to win games at that level.

Too early to judge with Barrett - he hasn't been given an easy job either.

Mary is terrible though.