What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Travel Thread

Misanthrope

Staff member
Unfortuneatly only a few weeks .I need to take some time off around Christmas to visit my granddaughters is Canada so I don't think il get more leave tha that approved.

A few weeks is enough time to do South Korea justice. I love the country, but it's definitely one that can be experienced in a small time frame.

I'd budget 4-5 days for Seoul and its surrounds, some time in Busan, and some time in Jejudo. Ulleongdo is also lovely.

Are you interested in history? Hiking?

What time of year are you heading over? They have some really fun festivals.

sportive cupid

Referee
I have varied interests .hiking is certainly something that interests me ,as well as culture ,history and politics. I tend to travel wth an open mind ad haefound myself visiting cities and countries and then researching what I saw after ...if that makes sense .

I'm going at the end of June into July

Misanthrope

Staff member
I have varied interests .hiking is certainly something that interests me ,as well as culture ,history and politics. I tend to travel wth an open mind ad haefound myself visiting cities and countries and then researching what I saw after ...if that makes sense .

I'm going at the end of June into July

Fun time of year to be there. Jejudo will be spectacular at the height of summer, and the Mud Festival is a virtual orgy of drinking, mud fights, and people in bikinis if that's you're thing.

Great hiking all over the place. Lots of mountains and mountain temples, especially near Seoul. Seoroksan National Park is pretty spectacular for that, and Ulleongdo is mostly about scenic vistas and isolated islands.

Busan has some nice beaches, although Haeundae is overrated. Gwangalli is much nicer and less crowded. Very nice beachy vibe. Jagalchi Fish Markets and Yonggungsa Temple are both worth a visit while you're there.

Gyeongju is a good option if you're into history.

abpanther

Staff member
Has anyone here travelled to Samoa?

My missus and I have our 10 year wedding anniversary coming up later this year and looking for a nice holiday destination over a weekend (4 days). Looks really nice and pretty decently priced

sportive cupid

Referee
I've been there .Its beautiful,but it takes over 6 hrs to get there and ..with the slight time difference a long weekend might not be the best way to experience it .

Having said that ..the people ;the flora ;the beaches ;the waterfalls ;the swimming holes ;the diving (and the surfing I'm told but that's not my thing.) are just what you imagine an Island Paradise to be .

It's super relaxed so don't expect the 5star hotel experience ...expect to become part of the family!

Last edited:

abpanther

Staff member
I've been there .Its beautiful,but it takes over 6 hrs to get there and ..with the slight time difference a long weekend might not be the best way to experience it .

Having said that ..the people ;the flora ;the beaches ;the waterfalls ;the swimming holes ;the diving (and the surfing I'm told but that's not my thing.) are just what you imagine an Island Paradise to be .

It's super relaxed so don't expect the 5star hotel experience ...expect to become part of the family!

Awesome thanks heaps for the feedback

Yeah I'm looking at a Fri-Mon trip, might be a bit much with the travel time

Do you have any other closer suggestions? Was also considering Fraser Island

Mateo Moi Moi

Juniors
Travelling to Canada and starting off with a couple of days in Vancouver. Anyone with some suggestions on what to do there?

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Consider a day trip (long) to Seattle to go to the Experience Music Project. It's that good.

Not enough time though - what time of year will you be there?
An ice hockey game could be a good option, and the chinatown a bit out from the CBD is well worth a visit.
Tim Hortons...

Granville island is a nice place to wander around, a bit touristy, but good history.
Stanley Park is a grand old park, hire a bike and go for a ride if the weather is ok (good luck!)
The gas town district is also pretty touristy, but interesting architecture and a steam powered clock that's a good photo op.

We also did the Rocky Mountaineer over to Lake Louise. Not cheap, but absolutely stunning! Go for the middle class (silver leaf) service - bigger windows, better food (not quite as fancy as gold) but we had a lounge car that more than made up for space, considering the wife, 18 month old and I were almost the only people using it. A whole rail car to ourselves!!!
If you do go on the train and spend the nigh in Kamloops, go to The Noble Pig for a beer. It's in the desert, in Canada!

Then we spent a night in Lake Louise on the lake - book early for a much better price. Banff, well, skiing isn't my thing and it was June, but it was a pretty place with nice walks.

Last edited:

sportive cupid

Referee
Awesome thanks heaps for the feedback

Yeah I'm looking at a Fri-Mon trip, might be a bit much with the travel time

Do you have any other closer suggestions? Was also considering Fraser Island

Fraser Island/Hervey Bay would be a great compromise for a 4 day getaway(I'm guessing you are in Sydney?.Its the Whale watching capital in the middle of the year and the weather usually remains mild . The island is for those looking for an eco friendly paradise while the mainland is a bit more Queensland hospitality.Virgin run direct flights and I think Qantas do a Brisbane stop ( not so good for a wkd)

PJ

First Grade
Heading to Prague for work in late May.

Probably have a car for a few days exploring and planning on Karlstejn castle, Kutna Hora and Czesky Krumlov.

Any suggestions for these places or others I should see?

_Johnsy

Referee
Mis,

Looking at heading over to Macau for a squizz while in HK. A mate at work reckons it's worth jumping on the train & going up to Shenzhen for a look.

Thoughts/experiences/advice ??

Misanthrope

Staff member
Mis,

Looking at heading over to Macau for a squizz while in HK. A mate at work reckons it's worth jumping on the train & going up to Shenzhen for a look.

Thoughts/experiences/advice ??

I feel like I'm letting you down here, but I've not spent any time in Guangdong. Closest I've been was Xiamen in Fujian province.

If you're a theme park guy, I've heard there are a lot of theme parks there.

Going to the Phillipines on Tuesday.

Jealous! Hoping to get back there in October for a conference/debauched orgy of alcohol and beach sleeping.

t-ba

Post Whore
Do It. Port Visa takes like 10 minutes to get at Lo Wu. Good for a day trip just to see a Chinese city.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Heading to Prague for work in late May.

Probably have a car for a few days exploring and planning on Karlstejn castle, Kutna Hora and Czesky Krumlov.

Any suggestions for these places or others I should see?

I remember a place in prague with a lot of red lights, it's a bit fuzzy though

Misanthrope

Staff member
South Island is amazing. Queenstown, Franz Josef, Christchurch, Milford Sound, Nelson...

I'd love to go back.

Misanthrope

Staff member
If you can, make the trek down to Milford Sound. Even a cruise out on the Sound is amazing, but I know you can kayak or even scuba dive it.

Franz Josef Glacier doesn't let you hike on it anymore, I hear, but it's worth a look. Might be worth checking if Fox Glacier is still accessible.

Eat Hell Pizza. I think you guys have it in Queensland, so you may already be aware of its brilliance.

Latest posts