What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Hunt

Maroon4life

Juniors
Put him on the market.

I'm over watching this guy struggle so hard on the field to do a job required of him. Having buyers regret in regards to Ash Taylor. I'm out of patience (and excuses) with Hunt.

Those that are going to tell me that I'm kneejerking following a disappointing loss, please convince me why we should persevere with him in the face of these points:

1. His kicking is still ineffective for field position, attacking bombs and repeat sets.

2. He can't control a game and lead the team under the slightest adversity.

3. He is far too inconsistent, the gap between his best and worst is too big.

He has a good running game and defends well for a halfback, that's all I've got.

user_nat

Coach
Shockingly he tends to struggle when our forwards get wrecked.

Which is an issue as that is when the kicking can keep the team in the game. Kicking was fine during today's game though.

Maroon4life

Juniors
So why has he struggled all year when our forwards weren't getting wrecked?

You can't have it both ways.

user_nat

Coach
I honestly don't recall any flat out terrible kick options taken today by him, but I do recall some good kicks. In the loss to Penrith he did actually come up with terrible kick options.
His running game was the problem today.

JamesBrandy

Juniors
Lol if you think today's kicking was good enough you're clueless.

And yet in the other thread you're saying we were monstered in the forwards. Do you somehow expect Hunt to be a gamebreaker when we are dominated in the forwards? No half is ever going to be in the game if the forwads don't lay the platform.

Hunt has been ok in my eyes the last few weeks and, surprise surprise our pack was good in those games.

When Hunt was dominating last year everybody was getting moist over and him and now you want to sell him off?

Maroon4life

Juniors
And yet in the other thread you're saying we were monstered in the forwards. Do you somehow expect Hunt to be a gamebreaker when we are dominated in the forwards? No half is ever going to be in the game if the forwads don't lay the platform.

Hunt has been ok in my eyes the last few weeks and, surprise surprise our pack was good in those games.

When Hunt was dominating last year everybody was getting moist over and him and now you want to sell him off?

Hunt hasn't owned a game all year, including the games our forwards went even.

If there is ever a game when you need your half to step up and get us back into the game by evening out the field positioning this was it. You think he did that for us today, or any game at all?

I counted 3 shanked kicks that went 30m & some bombs that didn't put the opposition back 3 under any real pressure.

Hunt dominated last year through his running game, if he's not bringing that to every game than he isn't bringing anything as far as I can see.

Snappy

Coach
Pretty disloyal pissweak thread IMO.

Hunt carried our sorry arses in 2014, and along with Milf and co, carried us to a GF last year.

Yes he's struggling a bit, but I'm prepared to cut him some slack. He's a class half back and he'll come good again.

Maroon4life

Juniors
Pretty disloyal pissweak thread IMO.

Hunt carried our sorry arses in 2014, and along with Milf and co, carried us to a GF last year.

Yes he's struggling a bit, but I'm prepared to cut him some slack. He's a class half back and he'll come good again

That's what we've been hearing from the Ben Hunt apologists each week, gets old. Just curious when his 2015 form stops saving him from his 2016 form.

8Ball

First Grade
Guy plays poorly for a few weeks and people want to put him on the market.. Wonder what OP thought of Lockyer in his early years transitioning to 5/8th

Dazzat

First Grade
I recall a set of six in the second half, where we made about 20 metres in five tackles.

No halfback is going to stand out when your forwards are getting smashed. Including slow play-the-balls - which we had throughout the game yesterday.

Throw in a clueless dummy half, then no halfback will flourish. Note Milford was quiet yesterday as well.

Hunt set the bar very high last year, and is struggling to get anywhere near it this year. I'm willing to have patience, because there's no other options.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
You're right we should sell him and buy Shaun Johnson.
And Andrew fafita for some depth.
We would have the cap space.
Anyway the kicking game is a real concern.
But we are 7-2 with hunt down on form.
That'll do me.
We lost be were down 2/3 of our front row ffs.
At full strength we smash the sharks easy.

Maroon4life

Juniors
Guy plays poorly for a few weeks and people want to put him on the market.. Wonder what OP thought of Lockyer in his early years transitioning to 5/8th

Because the two are comprable right? Not like Lockyer had established himself as the incumbent Kangaroos fullback by the time he made the transition to 5/8.

And Lockyer did have form slumps, in 06 he was facing an early forced retirement from the origin squad, so no-one is untouchable.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Because the two are comprable right? Not like Lockyer had established himself as the incumbent Kangaroos fullback by the time he made the transition to 5/8.

And Lockyer did have form slumps, in 06 he was facing an early forced retirement from the origin squad, so no-one is untouchable.

If you believe what you have posted here I have an island for sale. Interested?

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Dazzat is on the money here.

Hunt has already proven himself as a great player. He carried us in 2014 and was a big reason we made the GF in 2015.

Sure his form has been down this year but he has been slowly improving and deserves more time to rediscover his form.

Dazzat

First Grade
Thanks for your support GTB.

It was only last year that Hunt moved past DCE in the pecking order for Queensland State of Origin.

Who remembers DCE being regarded the best player in the game not so long ago? How's that going now?

Seems DCE's combination with Foran was a key factor.

Also, Milford was the best player in the game the week before, and was totally shut down against the Sharks.

I do agree that Hunt's long kicking game is not up to scratch - he just doesn't have the distance in his legs and that won't change. That was why McCullough was kicking the 40/20s out of dummy half because Hunt and Milford don't have the distance in their kicks.

We were spoilt with Darren Lockyer for so many years - possibly the best long kicking game ever. Let's not measure Hunt by that standard.

hellteam

First Grade
Grand finalists last year... Top of the table at the moment.

Yep let's get rid of our halfback

Nightward

Juniors
So why has he struggled all year when our forwards weren't getting wrecked?

You can't have it both ways.

He was mentally broken by the Grand Final.

He's been improving each week, even if he's currently far below his best. Him in top form combined with Milford playing at least as well as he is at the moment will give the Broncos arguably the best halves pairing in the game at the moment, rivalled only by the Cowboys.

Latest posts