What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Host

SET2JT

Juniors
First time I've seen the kid play and to be honest i dont know what everyone on here has been raving on about him. He is young so i will give him that but he is no were near first grade material.
These kids that impress in the under 20s need to be put in the cutters for a good year or so before they play Nrl.
Dufty is a prime example. Give the kid the number 1 jersey in the cutters for the whole year. We all know what Quinlan can do.

Last edited:

dungay dragon

Juniors
First time I've seen the kid play and to be honest i dont know what everyone on here has been raving on about him. He is young so i will give him that but he is no were near first grade material.
These kids that impress in the under 20s need to be put in the cutters for a good year or so before the play Nrl.
Dufty is a prime example. Give the kid the number 1 jersey in the cutters for the whole year. We all know what Quinlan can do.
True the step up from 20s to NRL is enormous but after a nervous start i thought he went ok . His defence was solid and he wasnt shy to mix it with the inform Melbourne forward pack . I think he is still only 18 ..
on the 20s the performance of Leilua was outstanding .. There are some good prospects there that we desperately need to hang onto for the future..

SET2JT

Juniors
Its not his efforts i am not happy with, its just the dumb stuff. Giving two stupid penalties really pissed me off.

kit66

Bench
These kids that impress in the under 20s need to be put in the cutters for a good year or so before the play Nrl.

Apart from a few nerves the kid went well. 21 tackles, no misses against one of the top packs is a good effort for a young kid. You reckon he's nowhere near fg, he's proven you wrong already.
It 's a bit disappointing that everyone whinges that we don't blood our juniors and then when we do we don't even give them time to find their feet before the knives are out. It's his 1st game ffs.

SET2JT

Juniors
Apart from a few nerves the kid went well. 21 tackles, no misses against one of the top packs is a good effort for a young kid. You reckon he's nowhere near fg, he's proven you wrong already.
It 's a bit disappointing that everyone whinges that we don't blood our juniors and then when we do we don't even give them time to find their feet before the knives are out. It's his 1st game ffs.
Come on. He had a below average game. He had no missed tackles because the Storm had no players to put anything on in attack. Storm played a simple game.
If you read my first post i did say its the first time i have seen him play. He might come good but i dont think its his time now. He reminds me of a Stockwell.
D Lui should have played yesterday.

BrissyRedV

Bench
He went ok for his first start. Bit of an arm grabber in defence. Needs to put the shoulder into it. A little overawed but that highlights Mary's ineptness in preparing and blooding young guys especially forwards.

rainman44

Bench

Yep

What i have come to expect people want younger players to be blooded then when they are they have a whinge they need more time if they make a mistake.

What about the more seasoned players who continually do the same stupid shit week in week out widdop marshall rein they are the repeat offenders.

Also look who the coach is if that isn't enough of an indicator that players may struggle a bit at first then you must not be paying attention.

I do recall B Morris M Cooper and B Creagh not having great starts either.

hardbaby

Coach
It's good to see some of the younger blokes getting a shot. We have some excellent players in U20's. And the Cutters have some talent. We need Milne sooner rather than later.

Forster Dragon

Juniors
Give the kid a break.How senseless is it to knock the lad a his start debut.Went OK and will be better for the run and the confidence gained.We need to blood more.Whar about the 18 year old storm half?

BrissyRedV

Bench
What i have come to expect people want younger players to be blooded then when they are they have a whinge they need more time if they make a mistake.

What about the more seasoned players who continually do the same stupid shit week in week out widdop marshall rein they are the repeat offenders.

Also look who the coach is if that isn't enough of an indicator that players may struggle a bit at first then you must not be paying attention.

I do recall B Morris M Cooper and B Creagh not having great starts either.

Host had a solid game, nothing spectacular. I think it is in this case more the way he has been blooded. Host has the potential to kick on and have an excellent first grade career. No offence to Marketo who is trying to punch above his weight however, will never be more than a fringe first grader. Mary has had the opportunity to blood Host from the bench over a number weeks and the one time he did play him from the bench, it was for minimal minutes. Being introduced into the game at the 20 minute mark after the sting has come out of a game is completely different to starting. Look at the way Bennett is blooding Pangai, Ofengahue etc. He selects them on the bench and gives them some solid game time minutes. Mary has not done this.

SET2JT

Juniors
Host had a solid game, nothing spectacular. I think it is in this case more the way he has been blooded. Host has the potential to kick on and have an excellent first grade career. No offence to Marketo who is trying to punch above his weight however, will never be more than a fringe first grader. Mary has had the opportunity to blood Host from the bench over a number weeks and the one time he did play him from the bench, it was for minimal minutes. Being introduced into the game at the 20 minute mark after the sting has come out of a game is completely different to starting. Look at the way Bennett is blooding Pangai, Ofengahue etc. He selects them on the bench and gives them some solid game time minutes. Mary has not done this.
Alot easier to blood players when your winning. Look at that young half at the Storm yesterday. Didn't have to do much but still looked great in that team.

Mr Red

First Grade
There is no expectation that Host would walk int first grade and star. To think he would be as good as the other forwards is silly. However the key with rising talent is that you need to blood them and give them a taste of first grade otherwise how are they supposed to continue to develop. Seriously they should be looking at giving Host another 4 to 5 games before the end of the year coming off the bench.

Dragsters

First Grade

This 100%.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Alot easier to blood players when your winning. Look at that young half at the Storm yesterday. Didn't have to do much but still looked great in that team.

You miss my point. I put the early penalties and jitters Host had in the opening minutes down to inexperience and being overawed at the occasion. Had Mary selected a player who likely has a long future as a first grader over a fringe first grader at best may have corrected this.

_Johnsy

Referee
Young forward playing his 2nd game and was solid. He wasn't our worst forward last night & certainly held his own.

I'd take that every day of the week from a young guy playing is 2nd game (1st game starting).

duck

Juniors
Give the kid a break.How senseless is it to knock the lad a his start debut.Went OK and will be better for the run and the confidence gained.We need to blood more.Whar about the 18 year old storm half?

My thoughts exactly. To expect too much for a first timer is ridiculous.

dungay dragon

Juniors
MARY threw him in the deep end....
1 Starting the game and not the easier option of the 20-30 min mark
2 Opposed to arguably the form forward pack in the Comp minus Smith for his 2nd game in NRL

Well Done JH

Old Timer

Coach
Anybody that is harshly critical of Host's performance has absolutely no idea.

He didn't get sat on his backside and he was more than capable of wrestling the bigger Storm forwards in the tackles.

The 2nd of the penalties he gave would have been most likely given by a more senior player in an attempt to slow the ruck down close to the line, so he effectively may hop stopped 6 points.

He has some energy and willing to run hard and the only mistake that was made was Mary's use of the bench as I think the young fellow should have had a bit more time in the 2nd half.

Considering we don't have any real forward leader setting an extremely high standard and we do all the 1 out stuff how will any forward we have really stand out.

Good luck to the kid and if he gets dropped after the Newcastle game when the full compliment is available to play that would be a huge mistake.