What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Captains Challenge will be trialled in Newcastle v Illawarra plodfest this weekend

langpark

First Grade
Absolutely fantastic news! I've been saying it for years.

Time for refs to start backing themselves and making decisions then and there, as they've all done for years until they made it to first grade. I believe in most cases, the ref's call will be the correct one.

_snafu_

Immortal
Should be a skeepe challenge.

Skeepe can challenge any decision made by the refs, the down side is that the game will take two weeks to complete.

simmo1

First Grade
Solves the minor problem of refs constantly going to the video for obvious tries/no tries.

Doesn't solve the major problem of the bunker getting too many decisions wrong.

unforgiven

Bench
Wasn't this trialled last year in the 20s? I don't know what another trial will achieve.
This is vastly different to what was trialed in the 20's, the trial in the 20's allowed players to challenge any decisions. I love this idea and I have been waning this for many years.

no name

Coach
This
Can only be used to challenge a try or no-try ruling
Followed by
- A captain may request a review of any try/point-scoring decision made by an on-field official in relation to: groundings, knock-ons, obstruction, double movement, offside, touchline /touch-in-goal/dead-in-goal, tackle in the air, steals involving two or more defenders, foul play, as well as goals and field goals.
Who the f**k wrote this and what are the actual guidelines?

1 incorrect Challenge per half can be used for tries only.
Bunker will only be used for challenged tries, will otherwise continue to be used in general play as it is currently.

That is not how it reads at all. In fact the article you quoted quite clearly states -

The referee will be required to make a decision on the field and it will only be reviewed by the bunker if a challenge is made.

That means no challenge, no involvement by the bunker.

blaza88z

Coach
The thing I don't understand is that the bunker has been f**king things up all year, how's it going to be any different simply because a team launches an official challenge?

chrisD

Coach
Controversial decisions break 50-50 with half the fans thinking one way and the other half the other way.

Therefor nothing they do really matters.

bnie7349

Juniors
What people need to realise is that the captains challenge is not going to improve the accuracy of the decision making of the bunker or speed up the process. It's going to stop the referees from using the bunker as a safety net and empower them to make their own decisions. I think the captains challenge is a great concept because it will bring back the theatre of celebrating tries.

thorson1987

Coach
What people need to realise is that the captains challenge is not going to improve the accuracy of the decision making of the bunker or speed up the process. It's going to stop the referees from using the bunker as a safety net and empower them to make their own decisions. I think the captains challenge is a great concept because it will bring back the theatre of celebrating tries.

This.

And we all know the call for a challenge will come from the coaches anyway.

Snappy

Coach
Wait until a captain gets one wrong early in the half and has no more challenges. Then watch the uproar after a howler decision.

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
This.

And we all know the call for a challenge will come from the coaches anyway.

This, Gallen made a good point last night (rare I know) that it should be taken completely out of the captains hands and made a coaches challenge similar to the NFL. They can have a quick look at the replay and hit a button in the box that alerts the referee there's a challenge. you could also add to that that any tires in the last 5 minutes the referee can check if he wants to but hopefully the fact that they have had to make decisions all game will mean unless they are really unsure about something they will still call it on the spot. you would hate for a howler to be missed in the last 5 minutes of the GF and the coach not be able to challenge it.

I do agree that it will empower referees to make decisions which is a good thing. Video ref really takes the excitement out of the game.

Last edited:

bnie7349

Juniors
Wait until a captain gets one wrong early in the half and has no more challenges. Then watch the uproar after a howler decision.

Yeah there is no doubt that will happen but the captain should also be held accountable for making an incorrect challenge in the first place. Captains really need to be careful with what they challenge otherwise they will be known as the Shane Watson of NRL.

bnie7349

Juniors
This, Gallen made a goog point last night (rare I know) that it should be taken completely out of the captains hands and made a coaches challenge similar to the NFL. They can have a quick look at the replay and hit a button in the box that alerts the referee there's a challenge. you could also add to that that any tires in the last 5 minutes the referee can check if he wants to but hopefully the fact that they have had to make decisions all game will mean unless they are really unsure about something they will still call it on the spot. you would hate for a howler to be missed in the last 5 minutes of the GF and the coach not be able to challenge it.

I do agree that it will empower referees to make decisions which is a good thing. Video ref really takes the excitement out of the game.

Yes you and Gallen make good points in regards to a coaches challenge.The NRL should defiantly consider using it as well .Honestly, I couldn't care less which challenge is used, as long as we reduce the amount of times the bunker is used for tries then I'm happy.

SBD82

Coach
This will just be another complicated mess that is hard to implement and eventually fails because it will have unforeseen outcomes.

For reference, see video refs, golden point, the bunker, and 7 tackle sets.

bileduct

Coach
Sounds good in theory, but they'll find a way to f**k it up.

I can just see it now. A captain's challenge is made on a 50/50 call, video ref sticks with referees decision because of inconclusive evidence and team loses their ability to challenge. Refs then make a f**k up on another try and it can't be challenged despite the fact everyone knows it was a bad call.