What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

do the kiwis need benji?

bedlam breakout

Juniors
is it against the rules to bring him in after the squad is announced? is he fit? would he be up for selection? on Saturdays showing nz are desperate for a playmaker at 6 or their 4 nations campaign will be as bad as last seasons England results.

davi

Juniors
is it against the rules to bring him in after the squad is announced? is he fit? would he be up for selection? on Saturdays showing nz are desperate for a playmaker at 6 or their 4 nations campaign will be as bad as last seasons England results.

David Kidwell has ruled out selecting Benji Marshall despite Shaun Johnson's injury.

"An international rugby league return for ex-Kiwis captain Benji Marshall has been categorically ruled out by coach David Kidwell.

The 32-year-old Marshall has found a new lease on life in Brisbane in 2017, playing in nine Broncos matches to date and taking up a mentoring role for Anthony Milford, Ben Hunt and Kiwis utility Kodi Nikorima.

However, despite the recent knee injury of star playmaker Shaun Johnson, Kidwell says Marshall has done his dash in the black and white jumper.

Should Johnson suffer a recovery setback and miss this year's Rugby League World Cup, Kidwell will look to Te Maire Martin, Nikorima or Wigan-based Thomas Leuluai to partner Kieran Foran in the halves.

"Look, I think we've sort of moved on from Benji. Those young halves - those guys are definitely putting themselves in the frame," Kidwell said.

"We've got some cover there and that's always good to have."

Kidwell was nevertheless confident that Johnson, the Kiwis' attacking linchpin, would be fit and firing for the side's first clash against Samoa on October 28."

http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rugb...-kidwell/ar-AAoVgpx?li=AA54yd&ocid=spartandhp

adamkungl

Immortal
Dear oh dear.

Kiwis have nothing after Shaun Johnson, Samoa will have better halves than them.

IntRLEnthusiast

Juniors
As someone who has loved watching Benji play and have admired some of the things he has done for NZ my question is what has Benji done to be in the position that NZ isn't interested? This is not about form or playing time even though on that basis he would probably still be left out. For some reason Benji's cards have been marked a few years ago. I'm not saying they should pick him but don't get why they have been so adamant not to pick him.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
The first decision that I have agreed with David Kidwell on ruling our him being selected.....Benji is passed it.....can't even get into a starting NRL side...

The Kiwis are as a basket case at the moment and to be honest have zero chance of winning the World Cup..

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
As someone who has loved watching Benji play and have admired some of the things he has done for NZ my question is what has Benji done to be in the position that NZ isn't interested? This is not about form or playing time even though on that basis he would probably still be left out. For some reason Benji's cards have been marked a few years ago. I'm not saying they should pick him but don't get why they have been so adamant not to pick him.

One of the rumours was that Benji was looking at retiring on International footy to concentrate on the Tigers. Then during a presentation by the NZRL to the Kiwis explaining how vital the Kiwis are to keeping Rugby League alive in NZ, he had a change of heart and continued to make himself available. And this was stated to me at a presentation by a former NZRL CEO.

Dakink

Bench
You would think his experience woukd be invaluable, given that they are likely to have inexperienced halves.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
You would think his experience woukd be invaluable, given that they are likely to have inexperienced halves.

He is past it....he cant even get a starting spot in the Broncos.... Johnson, Foran, Nikorma, and Martin have all played in the halves for most of this season at their clubs. Why would you pick a has been they are struggling to get game time?

davi

Juniors
I actually didn't think he play too bad the other night for the Broncos despite some errors. The forty/twenty he kicked got them back in the game single handily and caused the Roosters problems with the grubbers and bombs he put up.

It's really hard to see Kiwi's not going with Johnson and Foran in halves though. Marshall would be an interesting choice though and wildcard selection he might able to bring something they need and couldn't hurt the Kiwis having him in squad as an option. But I wouldn't have him in the team as a utility off the bench though.

Resurgent Bronco Benji Marshall wants New Zealand jumper back

RESURGENT Bronco Benji Marshall wants his New Zealand jumper back and has appealed for selectors to resurrect his Test career for the Kiwis’ upcoming World Cup campaign.

Marshall faces his biggest test of the season on Friday night with he and Kodi Nikorima to trade blows with Penrith sensation Nathan Cleary at halfback in the elimination final at Suncorp Stadium.

It has been five long years since Marshall last wore his beloved black-and-white jumper and his Kiwi career appeared to be over as he lost all confidence in his playmaking ability at the Dragons last season

But Marshall’s lifeline from Broncos coach Wayne Bennett this season has reignited his passion for the game, restoring the veteran’s faith that he can help spearhead a Kiwi World Cup boilover.

New Zealand’s leadership core has been decimated for the World Cup starting next month, with skipper Jesse Bromwich and back-rower Kevin Proctor black-listed after their off-field scandal following the Anzac Test in May.

Besieged Kiwi coach David Kidwell will need experience to topple Mal Meninga’s Kangaroos and Marshall fits the bill.

The 32-year-old has been largely successful at the Broncos this season and while he wasn’t at his optimum starting at halfback against the Roosters last Friday night, Marshall is adamant he can be an asset to the Kiwis.

“I’m available for the World Cup,” Marshall said.

“To be honest, I probably won’t get selected but I’m never going to rule myself out of contention because representing your country is the highest honour.

“I really enjoyed my time playing for the Kiwis and it’s something I would love to do again.

“Whether I get selected or not is not up to me but I’m not going to rule myself out.

“If they need me, I’m available. I know I can offer something.”

The Whakatane whiz is one of his country’s most accomplished servants.

Marshall captained the Kiwis during his 27-Test career, famously scoring the try which broke Australia’s hearts and clinched New Zealand victory in the 2008 World Cup final.

The premiership-winning playmaker last represented the Kiwis in 2012 but believes he is now mentally stronger than the player who was handed the New Zealand captaincy.

“I feel I have matured a lot since I last represented the Kiwis,” Marshall said.

I have definitely grown more as a leader and the last time I was captain (of New Zealand), I was probably put into captaincy before I was ready.

“I changed too much in the style I wanted to play.

“When you become captain at a young age, you think you have to change everything and you don’t, you just have to be yourself.

“The Kiwis could probably benefit from some experience and if it (his selection) happens, I will grab it with both hands and contribute the way I have at the Broncos.”

Broncos coach Bennett, who will take charge of England at the World Cup, lauded Marshall’s mentoring of Brisbane halves Anthony Milford and Nikorima.

“The fun is back in Benji’s life,” he said. “In the past, he has been under pressure and the game wasn’t as enjoyable as it should have been.

“He has been allowed to be a player here.

“What’s changed is the place has relaxed him. Brisbane is a good lifestyle and he’s set a great example for our younger players.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...k/news-story/b41671ecc079bbca32c29ef7a845a1fa

Latest posts