What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should a State of Origin match be played at Wembley?

Pommy

Coach
Old Trafford would be a better bet than Wembley.​
I'm not convinced club sides would be thrilled with their players being put through it mid season. Anyone who says that journey doesn't knock he shit out of you is a liar.

adamkungl

Immortal
No.

1) Origin's biggest money spin is its prime time TV audience. The time difference kills that off.

2) London wants international sport more than it wants Rugby League. Play England vs Australia in London, not 2 states of Australia. This is just buying into the notion that Origin is the pinnacle of the sport, which needs to die.

3) Why would London care? NFL works in London because American sports are a big deal internationally. Australian sports are not a big deal.

4) Practicality. Clubs don't want to travel across the world mid season. Origin is already a too big disruption.

5) Melbourne, Perth, Auckland, and Wellington make a lot more sense as neutral venues, since none of the above criticisms apply, and there is actually demand for a 2 state Australian/NRL match.

T-Boon

Coach
Personally I think 1 game every year should be a "neutral" venue if possible. What kind of 3 game series gives one team a 2-1 home game advantage that hasn't been earned somehow?

Every year, 1 game should be put out to tender, with the best bid/offer getting the game, factoring in several other criteria as well as money.

If the interest was there to go down the path of games outside of Australia/NZ maybe limit it to once every 4 years. The concept could be a massive one for RL and it's fans.

Totally agree. It would spin a lot of money and is a great way to promote the code.

The thing I would do first though is talk to the states/coaches about trying to play a more attractive brand of Rugby League. Especially Laurie Daley. He is ruining Origin. Use the backs more - um, pass the ball. Get some quality football going. Its very important. No good going to (say) Perth or Adelaide with this current brain dead second row dominate play and saying "hey Perth, you need to understand how intense this is, its gladiatorial, how solid is this defence?" They would be like: "why do you even pick those guys who stand out wide and do nothing?"

T-Boon

Coach
5) Melbourne, Perth, Auckland, and Wellington make a lot more sense as neutral venues, since none of the above criticisms apply, and there is actually demand for a 2 state Australian/NRL match.

I agree with this. Also, it would be good in Port Moresby.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If it was going to be the UK, then Old Trafford would be a better bet. The best quality stadium located closest to the geographical heart of Rugby League.

Personally I'm not sure the game would draw enough interest to generate big ticket sales however.

Besides the actual English League fans and northerners, most English people have sparing knowledge of League and even the geography of Australia.

Was in London during origin a few years ago and headed to a pub to watch it, places was packed out with Aussie expats and backpackers. They'd have no problem filling Wembley, origin has become a stand alone elite sports product of its own strength now. Just not worth the travel involved I wouldn't think. Now Singapore at their new stadium might be a better bet. Lots of rich corporates in Singapore to get interested in NRL and less travel/time zone issue and Singapore Govt chucks many many millions at sports event for the place.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
A prerequisite for a state of origin would be a stadium of at least 50k. Lang park itself is probably too small. Port Moresby's biggest ground has a capacity of 25k tops.

Canard

Immortal
Was in London during origin a few years ago and headed to a pub to watch it, places was packed out with Aussie expats and backpackers. They'd have no problem filling Wembley, origin has become a stand alone elite sports product of its own strength now. Just not worth the travel involved I wouldn't think. Now Singapore at their new stadium might be a better bet. Lots of rich corporates in Singapore to get interested in NRL and less travel/time zone issue and Singapore Govt chucks many many millions at sports event for the place.

300 Aussies at the Temple Walkabout isn't enough of a guage for mine. I lived in London for years and League just isn't that big an issue for them.

T-Boon

Coach
A prerequisite for a state of origin would be a stadium of at least 50k. Lang park itself is probably too small. Port Moresby's biggest ground has a capacity of 25k tops.

Yeah, I mean in future. When they have a bigger capacity.
I am just putting it on the map of to do places.

Can you build a 45k stadium cheaply? I am thinking seating like Notre Dame Stadium - one long slab around the ground no individually seats - plus no roof. Surely that can be built cheaply.

Briza

Juniors
If we're going international send one of the QLD home games to PNG, they'd have most of the support up there.
Unsure of the grounds to support it, but would be great for League in that particular country.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade

Those pubs would be packed with backpackers if origin wasn't on. That's what you do when you are in England, go to the pub!!!

Singapore would definitely work, was in the Shangri-la long bar a few months back in Bangkok with some colleagues before heading out to dinner and lo and behold they had the Australia TV network on and the Rugby League show was showing highlights of the weekends round. I was chatting to a guy from Singapore and he was watching and said he thought Rugby League looked like a great game, brought back his memories of Jonah Lomu in the Rugby World Cup, though my other Singaporean colleague was a big AFL fan.. So on that sample i reckon the odds of a Singaporean going to an origin match would be 50/50.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
Those pubs would be packed with backpackers if origin wasn't on. That's what you do when you are in England, go to the pub!!!

Even Aussies dont frequent London Pubs at 10am on a Wednesday though.

PR is right that lots of expats watch Origin in London, but that's different from having the demand for 90k

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Good in theory, but time zone kills it dead.

NZ deserves one before this sort of thing happens. Although it feels like Origin is dying a sort of death over here, when considered we don't get Origin games starting until 10 f**king 30 on a work/school night. I don't feel the hype over here anymore.

Yeah, I mean in future. When they have a bigger capacity.
I am just putting it on the map of to do places.

Can you build a 45k stadium cheaply? I am thinking seating like Notre Dame Stadium - one long slab around the ground no individually seats - plus no roof. Surely that can be built cheaply.

Mate, have you been to PNG? Based on what people I know who have, it will be a very long time before they have a football stadium in Port Moresby that can hold that many people. That have far more pressing issues to deal with let me assure you. Some parts of PNG are closer to the third world.

T-Boon

Coach
Mate, have you been to PNG? Based on what people I know who have, it will be a very long time before they have a football stadium in Port Moresby that can hold that many people. That have far more pressing issues to deal with let me assure you. Some parts of PNG are closer to the third world.

I've never been there but Id like to go. One of my best friends is from PNG.
The PNG government was previously keen, if they could throw up a stadium without the bells and whistle that we insist on (such as seats and a roof). Then thats doable.
Its the security issues that are the real issue.

Teddyboy

First Grade
I think a few NRL games in PNG/Fiji/Samoa and Tonga at SOO time be better.