What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Bombers Bid

siv

First Grade
Broncos to me look more like a Brisbane Wests team than a Brisbane North team having taken over the old Western Suburbs Panthers heartland. Which contributed to the demise of Brisbane Wests

T-Boon

Coach
Which ever way they go they can create a very bitter rivalry by forcing the Broncos to financially support the new team. I would allow the new Brisbane team an extra million under the salary cap and some additional funding all of which should come from the Bronco's.

It would drive the Broncos fans apoplectic. It would instantly create a division where the fans in Brisbane that hate the Broncos might get on board with the new team.

Diesel

Coach
I don't think a new Brisbane team needs any AFL style handouts as there is a whole QLD Cup of players coming through that know there is another option for them not to leave QLD.

There is corporate money in Qld and Brisbane around that'd support B2/West Brisbane and there are many non-Bronco fans in Brisbane.

The greater western suburbs of Brisbane including the Ipswich area are full of younger kids coming through and many haven't chosen what NRL team they want to support. I see plenty of Titans jerseys around Brisbane and the GC is a good 80km away. People want another local option.

As Marlins said, there is also an option for a West/South Brisbane to play some games at QE2 if Suncorp was unavailable. There's also talk of land available at Springfield for a stadium or an upgrade of the North Ipswich Reserve. Make it a 18000 stadium and play big games at Suncorp if need be

taipan

Referee
Exactly the days of suburbs being admitted to the NRL like in 1967 are long gone. Taipan seems to think that somehow bombers are going to pick a suburb of Brisbane, start a club there and in 6 or 7 years the NRL will somehow deem them worthy if they have a good Jnr set up.

Stadium, corporate support, tv value, potential supporter base are the only criteria that will matter.

If they are serious as we believe ,and think of the long term,I would be starting QLD Cup,and grabbing a slice of suburbs.It's called getting in on the ground floor.Else the likes of Ipswich may beat them to the draw.

The Bombers are hardly a community bid club for starters.Yes rl people at the top, but more commercial.
There is Suncorp.there is corporate support in Brisbane down the line .TV value yes but not ATM but the main criteria is fans attending .

And this same club will want their $10m pa grant like the rest ,all from the one pie(the bottomless pie of riches LOL).

Perth Red

Post Whore
Greatest risk of a second Brisbane team will be to the investment in Melbourne. Storm have always relied heavily on Qland cup and second Brisbane team will provide a more appealing opportunity than moving to Melbourne for the many talented Qland players. If anything the NRL needs to be funding/insisting Melbourne based NSw and Sg ball sides and improved jnr pathways in Victoria.

Wouldn't hurt but wouldnt help either Taipan imo. Bombers playing out of a suburb of Brisbane in Qland cup in front of 500 people isn't going to make any difference to their success or failure at NRL leve. End of day there is not enough central funding of the second tier to allow clubs to be sustained by the NRL fully so need significant income from pokie machines, NRL link ups or rich benefactors. For Bombers investors I don't see the ROI.

No they are not a community bid club, they have no pretence that they are. In fact their hasn't been a community bid club enter the top tier of RL since the late 60's. Why? Because the future isn't 14k in suburban clubs, its 25k+ at clubs representing a whole city.

siv

First Grade
I would just add Ipswich and Redcliffe

Huge instant rivalry

Easts are the red herring in this as the strongest finabcial club in Brisbane buying out the old Broncos Red Hill LC

taipan

Referee
Greatest risk of a second Brisbane team will be to the investment in Melbourne. Storm have always relied heavily on Qland cup and second Brisbane team will provide a more appealing opportunity than moving to Melbourne for the many talented Qland players. If anything the NRL needs to be funding/insisting Melbourne based NSw and Sg ball sides and improved jnr pathways in Victoria.

Wouldn't hurt but wouldnt help either Taipan imo. Bombers playing out of a suburb of Brisbane in Qland cup in front of 500 people isn't going to make any difference to their success or failure at NRL leve. End of day there is not enough central funding of the second tier to allow clubs to be sustained by the NRL fully so need significant income from pokie machines, NRL link ups or rich benefactors. For Bombers investors I don't see the ROI.

No they are not a community bid club, they have no pretence that they are. In fact their hasn't been a community bid club enter the top tier of RL since the late 60's. Why? Because the future isn't 14k in suburban clubs, its 25k+ at clubs representing a whole city.

Can I tell you when the Sharks first played at their Cronulla ground in the NSWRL,they thought 4,000 was a decent crowd.
It boils down to any prospective NRL club, thinks it's too hard they pull out , or if they are thinking long term, we'll start from the bottom where outlay there is minimal.And really develop an area.
I keep banging my head on the need for the NRL to sell the Titans and Knights,and get repaid by the Tigers.That could amount to up to $30m back into the NRL coffers.
I keep referring to the $100m pa additional monies to grassroots from 2018.Plus the NRL club grants from 2018 which could be $10m pa.Now if there are decent sums available in order to proceed with expansion,IMO that would have been announced.
Then we have the situation where all Sydney NRL clubs lost money last season.

We keep hearing about grassroots being underfunded.The question is should new teams be admitted now ,to the detriment of grassroots,which is facing fierce competition at that level from other codes.

I still believe expansion will come in, but after the 2 NRL clubs are sold and the code is in a better position re expected income 2019 onwards.The Commission does have few decent business minds on deck.

Yes AFL has expanded but they are p*ssing money up against the wall, their clubs losing $93m +.Don't even bring up S15/117 whatever.
I agree with your last para ,and I believe clubs are aiming for a figure of min 20,00 0+ average.The Sharks have it in their plans to expand their stadium down the line.

T-Boon

Coach
I keep banging my head on the need for the NRL to sell the Titans and Knights,and get repaid by the Tigers.That could amount to up to $30m back into the NRL coffers.
I keep referring to the $100m pa additional monies to grassroots from 2018.Plus the NRL club grants from 2018 which could be $10m pa.Now if there are decent sums available in order to proceed with expansion,IMO that would have been announced.
Then we have the situation where all Sydney NRL clubs lost money last season.

We keep hearing about grassroots being underfunded.The question is should new teams be admitted now ,to the detriment of grassroots,which is facing fierce competition at that level from other codes.

Play in quarters for more TV revenue and bring in a very low football department expenditure cap and our clubs will thrive...and then we will expand....which will in turn bring in more revenue.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I see the NRL clubs are still baulking at the idea of chipping in to create a bail out fund for any clubs in trouble. NRL should call their bluff and tell,them they won't step in to bail out clubs and will drop,them to the second tier if they can't afford to be in NRL and bring on expansion bids. Existing clubs want their cake and eat it. Not happy to create an insurance fund but expect NRL to bail them out if they get in strife.

NRL income has doubled in less than a decade, and there still isn't enough to plan for expansion in a few years time? The begging bowls will always be out, maybe with nine games to sell in more capital cities that $158mill gap between NRL and afl could have been closed a bit?

Marlins

Juniors
I see the NRL clubs are still baulking at the idea of chipping in to create a bail out fund for any clubs in trouble. NRL should call their bluff and tell,them they won't step in to bail out clubs and will drop,them to the second tier if they can't afford to be in NRL and bring on expansion bids. Existing clubs want their cake and eat it. Not happy to create an insurance fund but expect NRL to bail them out if they get in strife.

NRL income has doubled in less than a decade, and there still isn't enough to plan for expansion in a few years time? The begging bowls will always be out, maybe with nine games to sell in more capital cities that $158mill gap between NRL and afl could have been closed a bit?
I agree the nrl should hold the stance on that matter and that we should have a WA & either Bri2/NZ2 but why always Compare to fumble ball in the long run RL will triumph like good vs evil

T-Boon

Coach
but why always Compare to fumble ball in the long run RL will triumph like good vs evil

Because like it or not the AFL are the yard stick. We want to be number 1 but they are. Everyone thought our TV deal was great until AFL got a better one. Thats just the way it is. We need to be better than them.

The NRL should forget about the bail out fund and implement this football department cap that they were talking about a year ago and that most other sports competitions have in place already. The cap should be whatever the weakest team is spending now.

taipan

Referee
Because like it or not the AFL are the yard stick. We want to be number 1 but they are. Everyone thought our TV deal was great until AFL got a better one. Thats just the way it is. We need to be better than them.

The NRL should forget about the bail out fund and implement this football department cap that they were talking about a year ago and that most other sports competitions have in place already. The cap should be whatever the weakest team is spending now.

Yep the weakest team ,the Lions,losing money year after year.Should follow their example FMD.Throw in the combined debt of the fumblers $93M+ and you know spending money like there is no tomorrow is good for the soul.

T-Boon

Coach
Yep the weakest team ,the Lions,losing money year after year.Should follow their example FMD.Throw in the combined debt of the fumblers $93M+ and you know spending money like there is no tomorrow is good for the soul.

Jeez you know a lot about AFL.

What you do is you set a soft cap on football department expenditure (maybe make it $5mill)...If a club wants to spend over that they can but for every dollar they go over they pay a 70c tax which then gets divided between the poorer clubs.
That way instead of crazy inflation of sports science type costs the clubs can spend more on game day or promotion (this increasing crowds) and the NRL don't need to bail poor teams out all the time so maybe we can start heading towards a couple of expansion teams.

taipan

Referee
Nowhere near as much as you do, as you try to impart your trolling expertise on us.

Your code bails out poor teams all the times.Next.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bobmbers pull the pin. From Facebook

***BID TEAM RESPONDS TO NRL ANNOUNCEMENT***

The Brisbane Bombers NRL Bid have responded to the announcement that the National Rugby League have no plans to include a second Brisbane team in the competition in the foreseeable future.

Bid Chairman Craig Davison stated that ‘our team has worked incredibly hard over the last six years for NRL inclusion to present an opportunity for supporters in the Rugby League capital to get behind. More than half of the Rugby League population in Brisbane don’t support the Broncos and our fan base has swelled since 2010. This announcement does not change the fact that the commercial consensus is the need for another team in Brisbane.’

Davison noted that “Brisbane fans deserves Rugby League every weekend – particularly Sunday afternoon football. We haven’t had a game in daylight here for 2 years and as a Rugby League family, we’re limiting our reach to fans and the wider market. As we have observed many times, Rugby League fans only get 12 opportunities a year to watch live NRL – as many as Melbourne and a fraction of Sydney’s 108 games per year.”

After six years of preparing to tender for a license for a much-needed second team in Brisbane, Bid CEO Nicholas Livermore announced that they will most definitely not be pursuing a licence for the second-tier competition as suggested by NRL Head of Football Brian Canavan.

Since its launch at Suncorp Stadium in 2010, the Bid has maintained that a ‘clean-skin’ brand outside of the traditional Intrust Super Cup clubs would allow the pockets of dense Rugby League fan bases around the South-East corner to unite and create the ultimate Rugby League Derby in a Broncos v Bombers clash of State-of-Origin proportions.

Livermore stated that Canavan’s suggestion of entering the ISC was counter-productive, lacks commercial sense and is in no way a springboard into the NRL. Livermore firmly believes that Brisbane has no room for another ISC team and if the expansion of the ISC is the way forward, Toowoomba would be the immediate choice for an expanded ISC and potentially a New Zealand or Pacific Island team to join the second-tier competition.

“One of the key-strengths and long-term successes of the ISC, is the history of the clubs and their supporter strength. Promoting an existing regionalised side would only polarise the fan-base further and limit the reach of an NRL franchise in Brisbane. We won’t entertain for a moment putting a team in the ISC.” Livermore stated.

“Any new NRL franchise is going to play out of Suncorp Stadium and must represent as much of the city as possible. If you’re going to succeed at NRL level you need significant corporate and commercial backing and you cannot limit yourself to a population-pocket and expect to reach the inner-city markets. It’s a romanticised approach to believe ISC clubs will lay down their passion to support another region of Brisbane, purely because of promotion into the NRL - history will show you that you need to push from the CBD to the regions, not the other way around.”

Livermore agreed that Canavan’s footprint was the right step for the development of the player base. “He’s spot on in the notion that the depth of talent will be stronger as a result of an enhanced ISC competition. Brian’s role is Head of Football and that’s exactly what he will achieve in growing the amount of opportunities to play in the second-tier competition, but that’s just one dimension of Rugby League."

“Our team believes there is a genuine opportunity to continue to build the momentum for a potential 2019-20 review for possible entry into a 2023 NRL competition. Wherever the opportunity exists for another Brisbane team, we will continue to pursue it.

"The Broncos have grown 50% in the last 5 years and it’s because they know their market – the commercial end of town. There’s room for two successful players and anyone who argues against that is self-serving” Livermore noted.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Which you can afford to do when you have the revenue and financial equalisation in place