What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 NRL Club Membership

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
ahhh
cough cough
the Raiders have more then doubled theirs

good job all of the above.
Not quite. Next update will show they were at 6k on 12 Jan 2016 after the 4k figure on 16 Dec 2015.

So they'd need to jump past 12k in the next week to double the previous tally. Hopefully they do. Would love to see some positive movement across the league next week.

Some strong increases at some clubs at this stage of comparison. Be interesting to see if those % increases are maintained to season KO or are due to early/auto renewals of existing members. You have to admire Newcastle and Eels fans!
There seems to be spikes...
like pre Christmas there's a spike. just before the season etc

straight off the bat like lead up to x mas would be the most auto renewals.

Timmah

Staff member
There seems to be spikes...
like pre Christmas there's a spike. just before the season etc

straight off the bat like lead up to x mas would be the most auto renewals.
Most clubs auto-rollovers took place either late October or some time in November.

yeah so you have auto renewals to start. that starts everyone off fairly well.
then there's a xmas spike of new memberships
then a bit of a slow...then maybe a re spike at the start of the year

Raiderdave

First Grade
Not quite. Next update will show they were at 6k on 12 Jan 2016 after the 4k figure on 16 Dec 2015.

So they'd need to jump past 12k in the next week to double the previous tally. Hopefully they do. Would love to see some positive movement across the league next week.

their 10700 figure is about a month old I think ( maybe 3 weeks ) ... happy to be proven wrong : )
so technically we were at more then double our 2016 figure mid december of last year

but in summary
we're going very well , & there is a huge buzz down here for the Raiders in 2017

Timmah

Staff member
No doubt. Most clubs seem to be in very positive territory.

Timmah

Staff member
12 announced?

17 have been announced.

In NZ, five:
3 @ Mt Smart
1 @ Dunedin
1 @ Waikato

The remaining 12 are in Australia:
3 @ Allianz
2 @ Newcastle
1 @ each of Belmore, Pepper, GIO, Kogarah, AAMI, Brookvale and Cbus.

Club by club (home or away), clubs feature in this order:

Knights 6 (36% of Fri 6pm matches)
Warriors 5 (30%)
Bulldogs & Manly 4 (24%)
Dragons, Storm & Roosters 3 (18%)
Panthers 2 (12%)
Souths, Raiders, Sharks & Titans 1 (6%)

0 for Brisbane, Cowboys, Eels and Wests Tigers.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So Warriors have a quarter of the Fri 6pm slots... looks like a comparative majority unless the comp has been reduced to 4 teams.

I thought the comment wa that the majority would be in nz thus negating the sht 6pm effect on crowds, clearly this isn't the case

Timmah

Staff member
I thought the comment wa that the majority would be in nz thus negating the sht 6pm effect on crowds, clearly this isn't the case
I'd say 5 being played in NZ is about what they would have been aiming for. They can't give them all to the Warriors, they need a spread of timeslots themselves.

I'm interested as to how it'll go in Newcastle, and the effect on crowds for the Roosters will be very interesting.

Card Shark

Immortal
When was the last time the Warriors hosted a Friday game?

Going from famine to feast.

Wonder how it will go down with their supporters?

Canard

Immortal
The Storm could be OK, because of the central stadium location.Leave straight from work, and the game will be essentially over before AFL has started, so may help with TV ratings.

Remains to be seen though.

Timmah

Staff member
When was the last time the Warriors hosted a Friday game?

Going from famine to feast.

Wonder how it will go down with their supporters?
Twice in 2011 they got 10.7k and 12k, and 21k in 2010. Kickoffs all around the 8-8:30pm NZ local mark.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Storm could be OK, because of the central stadium location.Leave straight from work, and the game will be essentially over before AFL has started, so may help with TV ratings.

Remains to be seen though.

That's a big assumption that most storm fans work in the cbd!

Timmah

Staff member
I don't see that he's assumed that. He's just said that the stadium is located centrally - i.e. very easy to access, particularly by public transport. And he's right.

Mister M

Juniors
I don't see that he's assumed that. He's just said that the stadium is located centrally - i.e. very easy to access, particularly by public transport. And he's right.

"very easy to access"

Have you ever tried to drive along Punt Road/Hoddle Street or City Road/Swan Street at 5:30-6:00pm on a Friday night?

How about using public transport? It's already packed moving out regular CBD traffic, as I've said before, it would be a transport logistical nightmare trying to get fans into AAMI Park at that time of night.

Timmah

Staff member
I live in Melbourne so I reckon I have a fair idea...

Workers in the CBD have three options - train to Richmond, tram to the ground or even walk, it's that close.

Families attending will generally be travelling from the opposite direction - on most lines that means a fairly comfortable ride in.

'Transport logistical nightmare' is a fantastic overstatement, well done.

rooster25

Juniors
I'd say 5 being played in NZ is about what they would have been aiming for. They can't give them all to the Warriors, they need a spread of timeslots themselves.

I'm interested as to how it'll go in Newcastle, and the effect on crowds for the Roosters will be very interesting.

Yes it will be very interesting to see what the Roosters and NRL(prob nothing) do to try and attract a crowd to their three 6pm Friday night games. Fri night games can be a preferred choice for many fans for Roosters games but that's at 745pm not this new 6pm timeslot.

It will be very challenging for Easts fans to finish work and pick up their families and then travel to the game on time. Their big hope is to get the city workers to make a night of it and go to the game instead of going to a bar to watch the game on tv which is fox's whole reason for putting games on this timeslot.

If the club and the NRL were smart they would put free buses on from the city to Allianz stadium try and get as many fans as possible. They have to promote the games in the city and try and make it a event like other codes do otherwise people will just think it's too hard and head straight to a city bar them home.

The games should work great in NZ with the time difference.

Mister M

Juniors
I live in Melbourne so I reckon I have a fair idea...

Workers in the CBD have three options - train to Richmond, tram to the ground or even walk, it's that close.

Families attending will generally be travelling from the opposite direction - on most lines that means a fairly comfortable ride in.

'Transport logistical nightmare' is a fantastic overstatement, well done.

You claim it's an overstatement because you decide to ignore my question about actually travelling on the roads around AAMI Park at that time. traffic is already packed travelling in all directions, adding an additional few thousand cars trying to enter the car parks would lead to the previously mentioned 'transport logistical nightmare'.

The roads already struggle with crowds leaving anywhere within the Melbourne Park complex. As someone that has driven that road regularly for many years; even a small crowd at Margaret Court arriving/leaving can cause delays on Swan Street at the quietest times. Adding sporting traffic onto Friday night peak hour is just asking for chaos; leading to angry fans missing the start of games and refusing to attend future early Friday games.