What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial v Titans @ Palmy, 19th Feb 2pm

Big Marn

Juniors
well ive only seen a minutes highlights but would it be true to say all our tries were created within their red zone as opposed to long range efforts?

I thought Vete, Afoa and Papalii were the pick of the forwards.
Vete played himself into the starting 13 for me
Gavet seemed gassed early and Gubb went off with a sore neck so our props for round 1 for me are

8 Lillyman
10 Vete
16 Lisone
17 Sipley

well ive only seen a minutes highlights but would it be true to say all our tries were created within their red zone as opposed to long range efforts?

True but good vision and quick hands got us in position.
Our defence was great. Tits had lots of tackles in our 20 and their try was pure luck

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
I've not seen any of the game yet, I finish at 10pm and have the replay recorded.
The stuff you guys are saying sounds really encouraging....only tries in their red zone? Great! For so long we've smashed down field only to struggle in the red zone, with a bit of SJ magic or a Kata/Manu barge over our only options.
Getting excited hearing about how good Roger's going, and how he's taking the emphasis off of SJ, will give him more room to move. Add in Foran over the other side and most teams will find it difficult to defend against us.
I think out forwards only need to match the other pack for us to go well. Would be nice if we dominated, but if we're able to give our backs a good platform (dare I say it an offload or two from the pack) and I think there will be plenty of points this year.
It's looking good.....

Iafeta

Referee
The only part that really annoyed me was the commentary. John Olive, as in the food Olive, is now John Olivier. Then you have Roger Dodger or Roger TuivsaSheck. FFS, stop trying to make rubbish up - just commentate normally.

RTS, awesome. SJ running again, great. Afoa busted them every time. They have a real problem with Elgey. That bloke is ultra scared of tackling. He is going to get found out severely in the NRL.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
The only part that really annoyed me was the commentary. John Olive, as in the food Olive, is now John Olivier. Then you have Roger Dodger or Roger TuivsaSheck. FFS, stop trying to make rubbish up - just commentate normally.

RTS, awesome. SJ running again, great. Afoa busted them every time. They have a real problem with Elgey. That bloke is ultra scared of tackling. He is going to get found out severely in the NRL.

Yeah Bunty really zeroed in on him and elgey didn't look keen at all.

With Papalii and Afoa and Sipley we have 3 gun young forwards.

Sooooooooo annoying!!!!!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Im really encouraged by what I'm hearing re guys like Gubb, Maumalo, Vete and Afoa all showing improvement. Will go al long way towards stemming the obvious weaker areas in the side, especially propping and wing depth. Not too worried about Kata having an off day, we know what he's capable of and we also now that hes capable of fixing problems with his game as he did with his tackling last year.

ozenzud

Juniors
The starting props Vete and Gubb were bloody good. I know there are a lot of Gubby haters out there, but he looked really good until he went off. The energy of these two was great though and they dominated the Titans.

Afoa had that super energy as well. Papalli was really impressive. Pretty sure he played the whole 80 and had a lot of involvement. Mannering played 80 too I think.

With Luke the service out of dummy half was 3 times better than last week. Tevanga will miss out as Clark was way better. Hingano might get the nod for the early rounds but still had a few, "what the f%6k and I doing moments" i.e. he was confused. I think other teams will run their plays at him early for sure. He will need a lot of protection.

No idea where Bodene and Manu fit in. Starting 13 looked pretty good. If RTS's form doesn't make every Warriors fan get their hopes up AGAIN, then you are dead.

Benek

Juniors
Gubb carried the ball stronger than Lillyman I thought. Lilly just hits the line and absolutely stops. Too bad Gubb got injured because those first 15 minutes would have been one of his best outings ever.

But even better, the young forwards all stepped up. I even liked Lisone. Lot's to like about that trial.

Rich102

Staff member
Aah, the warm hug of a good pre-season trial.

The squad look so much better than last year and Cappy has found his vocation; water boy.
The whole squad look fitter and more purposeful.
Vete and Gubb did well at the front, but the standout for me were Afoa and Mannering. Mannering looked like he was enjoying his football again.
Luke was far better though his passing was shown up by Erin Clark when he came on.
RTS was everywhere and looked really sharp, great defusing the high ball.
Papali'i was into everything, really impressive; has speed too.
Lisone was a surprise. Has some deft touches. And whereas I have been unkind about his kicking before, yesterday it was spot on.
Hingano did some heavy defensive work, he doesn't lack heart, and he will only get better.
Kata looked eager, but the game didn't go his way. He will be disappointed.
Fusitua was a monster, will get better.
Maumalocame into the game, had some good runs in the second half.
Lolohea is Lolohea; Tiptoed down the sideline for a try but too much went past him and I am sick of that stutter step when returning the ball; just run straight and hard.
Gavet had some good runs when he came on, Lillyman didn't.

Now, as you all know, I have been a critic of SJ in the past. This trial he was a different player. He ran straight and engaged the defence, tackled well, kicked well and was involved. Don't know if Foran is influencing him or having RTS behind him watching and instructing. If he continues like this we may have a good season. Sadly his goal kicking was astray.

On reflection the Warriors had the better of the game but a narrow half-time lead didn't reflect that. But their defence was better and the younger players pushed for a chance. I hope they get it.

i must of been watching a different trial regarding Gubb

he was the same old same old. not once did he make or cross the advantage line, never hit the ball up with top speed and had pedestrian speed play the balls.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
In regards to players running at Egley - most players do run at halves and yes they defintely dented their line through him with the likes of Afoa and Fusitua. Its not very often you get hit by a half like you would with Leiluai and Egley would get dropped when Hayne comes back and pushes the makeshift Tyronne Roberts back to 7 or 6. Konnie and Zeb Taia to return for the Titans as well.

Rich102

Staff member
i must of been watching a different trial regarding Gubb

he was the same old same old. not once did he make or cross the advantage line, never hit the ball up with top speed and had pedestrian speed play the balls.

Yeah. But he was fitter and stronger than last year. I agree about bending the line but Lisone doesn't either.
We need a fit Matulino back. Matulino, Vete, Lillyman, Gavet and Gubb I think will get do do the donkey work. Unless Sao steps up or one of the youngsters.

Kearney is a big fan of hardworking forwards, Lillyman is running out. We badly need some mongrel.

I thought Lisones hitups were intence. Lots of urgency. Gubbs were the standard 7 metres. Gavet got gassed real early, infact he looked tired just running on. Where is Sao

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Im not a Gubb hater but I too didnt see him do anything above his usual, thats why I didnt mention him in my initial post game post. I didnt think his carries surged through the line as Afoas were. Gubb went ok for me.

Yeah hopefully Matulinos surgery and recovery is a success cos we're going to need him. Im still not convinced about our pack which was lacked consistency last year. Really hope Sipley becomes the boss player that he was last year in the Trust Cup.

Latest posts