What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Tigers articles from the media

Clifferd

Coach
Hate to see Simona go out like that but I ageee, Suli deserves his shot round 1 after his trial performances

My only worry is he'll be targeted a lot under the high ball

Tiger Ted

Bench
We certainly have depth issues with our outside backs.

Had Simona not being such a fool & not got himself in this damn predicament our 3/4 line @ full strength looked good(assuming Suli was chosen ahead of Rankin).

We r now stuck with the possibility of the 2 worst 3/4's going around in any grade in Rankin & Milone playing enough nrl this yr to cost us any chance of going close to making the 8.Additionally we r stuck with both the defensive & high ball catching challenged Naquima being a regular in our nrl team.

With the immense difficulty of the opening 6 rounds along with the deadwood we have on our books this is looking like another long winter for us.

Geez do we need some luck with injuries this yr as we can't rely on rookies like Suli in short term to fill the void left by the moronic decision re JAC & stupidity of Simona !

Tiger05

First Grade
If Rankin or Milone get any time in first grade it's honestly beyond me. I'm not sure that Naiqama will get picked but I have no issues with him if he can improve on his defence. He has some ability. Rankin and Milone aren't close to first graders. Rankin I suppose is fine as a bench option if we have a bunch of injuries.

I hope that Simona comes back. We could have a really good 3/4 line with him available.

macnaz

Staff member
We certainly have depth issues with our outside backs.

Had Simona not being such a fool & not got himself in this damn predicament our 3/4 line @ full strength looked good(assuming Suli was chosen ahead of Rankin).

We r now stuck with the possibility of the 2 worst 3/4's going around in any grade in Rankin & Milone playing enough nrl this yr to cost us any chance of going close to making the 8.Additionally we r stuck with both the defensive & high ball catching challenged Naquima being a regular in our nrl team.

With the immense difficulty of the opening 6 rounds along with the deadwood we have on our books this is looking like another long winter for us.

Geez do we need some luck with injuries this yr as we can't rely on rookies like Suli in short term to fill the void left by the moronic decision re JAC & stupidity of Simona !
Naiqama certainly has some issues but to single him out as dodgy under the highball is a bit of a stretch . Nofo and Rankin have shocking hands in comparison .

Tiger Ted

Bench
Naiqama certainly has some issues but to single him out as dodgy under the highball is a bit of a stretch . Nofo and Rankin have shocking hands in comparison .
U r deadset kidding comparing Nofo's suspect hands to those 2 duds !

Nofoaluma is an absolute gun & far & away our supreme 3/4.

Rankin is the biggest dud in our roster & Kev can't catch & is an abysmal defender.

If Kev is a regular in our NRL team it will demonstrate how poor our depth is in the outside backs.Kev tries hard but basically should only b a backup for injuries.

Tiger05

First Grade
I think Kev is nowhere near as bad as what you are making out. Offensively he is a great player. On the wing he has been caught out with the high ball but less so at centre.

I think his defence is suspect but I think it's made worse by the players around him. Without Moses defending with him in the trial there were no issues and Thurston and the Cowboys went that side a bit. Moses was caught out in the all stars game. It's only a couple of games but I'm not convinced the poor right side defence is all Naiqama's fault.

Nofo is a weapon. He is a great winger but his defence also looks suspect at times.

Vic Mackey

Referee
You could argue nofa was our best player last year. He has been in the top 2/3 tackle busts NRL wide for the past few years now. His runs coming out of our end are invaluable.

If our 3/4s are nofa, kev, Idris and suli then we would have close to the biggest 3/4 line in the comp, I would think only Canberra are bigger. It will help our forwards immensely and I can't see us struggle to get out of our end.

Kevs attack is fantastic, he regularly creates something when it's 2 on 2 and nothing doing, however our right side defence would probably the worst in the NRL and I feel he is main one responsible for that.

Clifferd

Coach
When defense is our main concern, especially edge defense I'm happy to see Kev who is an absolute liability in defense out of the team. We still have enough attacking prowess without him on the field anyway and it's not like Chee Kam is a bad replacement

Tiger05

First Grade
I reckon the two posts above are pretty spot on. I think if Kev gets punted and someone like Chee Kam comes in and defensively we are solid it's a good trade off.

I'm now concerned though that we have a bunch of edge defenders who are going to struggle and Rankin will be picked ahead of Suli. I've love to see us have a big set of 3/4's. Suli, Idris and Nofo are going to fit that role. When you add Naiqama and hopefully Simona comes back then we have some good options.

I'm concerned about Sue, Idris, Naiqama and even Lawrence defensively. Add to that our two halves being pretty ordinary defensively as well. If best case we play Nofo and Suli they will also have some issues. Worst case Rankin get picked and that is really bad. I can't see us having good defence this year on the edges but I'd like to be wrong.

Shredder

Juniors
Lets be honest, its not JUST Rankin's defence that is crap. The guy could be put into a hole by Thurston, line wide open and still pour faeces all over it.

macnaz

Staff member

I didnt say he wasnt a gun , but im talking facts.

Rankin is the biggest dud in our roster & Kev can't catch & is an abysmal defender.

If Kev is a regular in our NRL team it will demonstrate how poor our depth is in the outside backs.Kev tries hard but basically should only b a backup for injuries.

2016 errors
Nofoaluma 24
Rankin 21
Naiqama 11

Dont let facts get in the way though .

BrotherJim05

Bench
Nofa may have made some errors but if you index that against his games played, tries and tackle busts he did very well

Clifferd

Coach
Nofa is probably in the top 5-10 wingers in the game I reckon. Well maybe not yet but this year he'll make his mark

Last year he was brilliant

macnaz

Staff member
Im not disputing that Nofo is a good player .. just highlighting the fact that Naiqama isnt any worse when it comes to handling errors. Happy to hear criticism about players as long as it is based on some facts and not made up crap to try make a point.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
I like Nofo and rate him, but he does have some bad fumbles in him. Remember the game against Souffs last year where he fumbled one of their kicks into the in goal and they scored from that. He had a few other shockers in that game. That's the area he needs to work on. I have far more confidence that he will improve than I do Rankin.

Tiger Ted

Bench
God help this team if Kev is chosen as simona's replacement as left centre with Rankin the winger.With the speed hump Brooks playing On the same side of field we will get pulverised.

There r some massively improved opposition rosters who r going to have a field day against

macnaz

Staff member
God help this team if Kev is chosen as simona's replacement as left centre with Rankin the winger.With the speed hump Brooks playing On the same side of field we will get pulverised.

There r some massively improved opposition rosters who r going to have a field day against
Your still talking shit .
Brooks 98 missed tackles
Moses 92 missed tackles
While im at it Moses 27 errors to Brook's 13 .
Hardly a massive difference , they are both crap . But one thing i will say i dont usually see Brooks shy away from making a tackle even if he cant complete it.. Moses was f**king terrible in deliberately avoiding making a tackle .. not a turnstyle but an open gate .. Rewatch some games mate and get fair dinkum about your criticism
Go watch our last game at LO against the raiders and you might get up to speed.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Brooks 98 missed tackles
Moses 92 missed tackles
Hardly a massive difference , they are both crap . But one thing i will say i dont usually see Brooks shy away from making a tackle even if he cant complete it.. Moses was f**king terrible in deliberately avoiding making a tackle .. not a turnstyle but an open gate .. Rewatch some games mate and get fair dinkum about your criticism
Brooks 98 missed tackles
Moses 92 missed tackles
U r obviously watching Brooks with rose coloured glasses.He has given us 3 yrs of total mediocrity.The impostor shouldn't b anywhere near the NRL team.
In contrast Moses has displayed enormous ability in attack & in guiding the team around & hence has progressed dramatically over the last 12 mths.This kid is the real deal & if he doesn't become an elite of the game I'll b the 1st to say I was blatantly wrong.
U r absolutely hallucinating if u think Moses deliberately avoids any tackles.He constantly puts his slender body on the line which is more than I can say about the useless no.7 who is our biggest liability in defence in addition to offering nothing in attack & displaying zero enthusiasm out on the field.
Good luck to Brooks in being able to get the ridiculous money he was on over the last 3 years based on potential.I hope he invested it wisely coz he will never attract that kind of money again.The undeniable fact out in rugby league land is that no other club is interested in him in contrast to our no.6.
Btw I was @ LO & the entire team were woeful in a regrettable mismatch between men & boys.Until we get a hardarse coach the soft culture evident that day is unfortunately here to stay.

Clifferd

Coach
I kinda agree with ted there. Moses seems like the sort of player who would do all the risky plays and when they come off, it's f**king beautiful to watch. On the downside, there is a lot of room for error. Remember a young fella named benji Marshall was the exact same

Same with defense. For a smaller body Moses puts his body on the line more than anyone else in our team imo. Yeah he's not gonna stop players all the time because of his small frame close to the line but when your inside and outside defenders aren't really cooperating that's gonna happen. If he was defending next to Lawrence/Chee Kam you would see a tremendous improvement

Moses = off the cuff sort of player

Brooks = safe with the odd moment every now and then

I truly want both of these boys to be successful but atm it's not even a contest, Moses is much superior

Love to be proven wrong with Brooks though

TiggaPlease

Moses was f**king terrible in deliberately avoiding making a tackle .. not a turnstyle but an open gate .. Rewatch some games mate and get fair dinkum about your criticism

Ah the old "I'm going to go for an intercept while defending on the goal line just so I don't have to attempt a tackle on someone bigger than me" move. That would have to be my biggest criticism of Moses last year.