What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Tigers articles from the media

macnaz

Staff member
Ah the old "I'm going to go for an intercept while defending on the goal line just so I don't have to attempt a tackle on someone bigger than me" move. That would have to be my biggest criticism of Moses last year.

You must have been hallucinating like me Tigga .

super_coach

First Grade
Nofa is probably in the top 5-10 wingers in the game I reckon. Well maybe not yet but this year he'll make his mark

Last year he was brilliant

Very shaky both under the high ball and in defence, but great finisher and great at making the dirty yards. We need at least one winger that is safe under the high ball. Souths will be bombing the crap out of us

Tigerm

First Grade
Very shaky both under the high ball and in defence, but great finisher and great at making the dirty yards. We need at least one winger that is safe under the high ball. Souths will be bombing the crap out of us
And don't forget, they have some pretty good inside info on the team, from one of our ex players, he'll know where to exploit us.

Tiger05

First Grade
I reckon Nofo is great but he has problems defending the high ball and defending in general. Moses is also ordinary defensively. Kev is also probably ordinary but he is defending in a tough position with the players around him.

To add to that Aloiai last year was laterally poor and Sue looks to suffer from the same problems this year.

I don't think that side can be fixed easily. Idris also to me has always looked poor out wide when he has someone coming at him with pace or some evasive skill. He got caught out against the Cowboys.

I reckon we have a really good team but defensively we have a bunch of players with issues. It's going to take a lot of work to fix.

I reckon Taylor will choose Rankin and give Suli chances like he did with JAC. This kills me because wingers now are like extra forwards and you need to get the right players in those positions. To add to that Simona is our best defensive 3/4 and at the moment he is gone.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
According to Channel 7 news we have tabled a 3 year offer to Chris McQueen. He is looking to return to Sydney and was at the West Tigers complex today. Would have preferred him a few years ago but he is still a pretty solid player that could add to our pack and fill in at centre with game day injuries.

Vic Mackey

Referee
According to Channel 7 news we have tabled a 3 year offer to Chris McQueen. He is looking to return to Sydney and was at the West Tigers complex today. Would have preferred him a few years ago but he is still a pretty solid player that could add to our pack and fill in at centre with game day injuries.

Was it for this this year? Would gladly take him.

Shredder

Juniors
Couldnt have been for this year, we were shopping players around for salary cap reasons just two weeks ago........... or was that ALL garbage?

;)

Tiger Ted

Bench
I reckon Nofo is great but he has problems defending the high ball and defending in general. Moses is also ordinary defensively. Kev is also probably ordinary but he is defending in a tough position with the players around him.

To add to that Aloiai last year was laterally poor and Sue looks to suffer from the same problems this year.

I don't think that side can be fixed easily. Idris also to me has always looked poor out wide when he has someone coming at him with pace or some evasive skill. He got caught out against the Cowboys.

I reckon we have a really good team but defensively we have a bunch of players with issues. It's going to take a lot of work to fix.

I reckon Taylor will choose Rankin and give Suli chances like he did with JAC. This kills me because wingers now are like extra forwards and you need to get the right players in those positions. To add to that Simona is our best defensive 3/4 and at the moment he is gone.
We don't have a really good team !

Our defence is pissweak, we have a substandard kicking game & when the going gets tough we raise the white flag.

Our roster hasn't improved & we can't continue to pin our hopes on the youth & expect kids like masters & Suli to give us the short term impetus necessary to make the 8 !

Additionally the coach is an embarrassment & way out of his depth !

Shredder

Juniors
Our problem from day one is we bring in a couple of players each year - generally juniors and a couple of outside buys.

They learn the existing culture of the club in the off season and join the mediocrity band wagon. Four months with us and they learn to coast.

The only way to change this, and no its not the coach and its not the administrators is to clean house hard core - get a new half a team from high performing clubs and let them dominate our culture.

Look at the dogs - Hasler (who is a great coach) is on the chopping block because he didnt meet their high goals. Look at what happened to Cleary at Penrith. Wow - wouldnt it be great to be able to fire an outstanding head coach for THAT reason?

We seem to be the beggars - please play for us - please coach us......

When Potter was removed, noone of repute put their hand up, which is WHY we ended up with Taylor. Why is that? Ask yourselves why - hate on the coach as much as you like - but what other option did we have?

On paper we have the second largest junior nursery in the world - why wouldnt you want to coach that? Why do we need to play players overs to play in our system?

Answer - because its f**ked.

Tiger05

First Grade
We don't have a really good team !

Our defence is pissweak, we have a substandard kicking game & when the going gets tough we raise the white flag.

Our roster hasn't improved & we can't continue to pin our hopes on the youth & expect kids like masters & Suli to give us the short term impetus necessary to make the 8 !

Additionally the coach is an embarrassment & way out of his depth !

I hear what you are saying. How about I expand on what I said. We have a team that has the ability to win a lot of games and score a lot of points.

We have weaknesses though defensively especially on the edges. Our halves are ordinary defenders. Our centres have issues. I'm not sure who will be worse - Idris or Naiqama. Our two best wingers have issues - Nofo and Suli. I only mention Suli because he is extremely young and I figure will have some problems. Our backrow edge defenders in Lawrence, Sue and Aloiai all struggle at times especially with lateral movement.

I'm still worried about Taylor stuffing it all up as well.

We could though if things go our way have a really good season. Tedesco and Moses should be weapons. Our middle forwards look great. If Taylor picks Suli we could have a gun back 3 and those players make a huge difference in coming out of our end and scoring tries. Brooks and Idris could be anything as well.

I'm worried about our edge defence. I'm worried about the coach. I'm not worried about the kids. Pick the ones that are good enough. I'm more worried about picking some plodders that just aren't going to win us games ala Rankin.

Tiger05

First Grade
Why do we need to play players overs to play in our system?

I disagree with most of your post except for this bit. I think that this is what has f**ked us. We pay Robbie a million a year when he is probably worth $500k. To top that off we pay something like $500k at least this season to Robbie and get him to play elsewhere when we have no recognised hooker.

I have no idea how much we are paying players like Woods either. I remember one member of the management staff stating you could only have two marquee players and we had Robbie and Woodsy. This sort of stuff is crazy. It's stating that we have to overpay local juniors. They should stay for a little less.

It'll be interesting seeing the team we run out with next year. We need to retain the right players at the right price. It's no good signing Tedesco for $5 million a season or something like that.

Shredder

Juniors
Whats no good is having players who play for themselves and not each other - thats the problem with our defence......

Tiger Ted

Bench
Our problem from day one is we bring in a couple of players each year - generally juniors and a couple of outside buys.

They learn the existing culture of the club in the off season and join the mediocrity band wagon. Four months with us and they learn to coast.

The only way to change this, and no its not the coach and its not the administrators is to clean house hard core - get a new half a team from high performing clubs and let them dominate our culture.

Look at the dogs - Hasler (who is a great coach) is on the chopping block because he didnt meet their high goals. Look at what happened to Cleary at Penrith. Wow - wouldnt it be great to be able to fire an outstanding head coach for THAT reason?

We seem to be the beggars - please play for us - please coach us......

When Potter was removed, noone of repute put their hand up, which is WHY we ended up with Taylor. Why is that? Ask yourselves why - hate on the coach as much as you like - but what other option did we have?

On paper we have the second largest junior nursery in the world - why wouldnt you want to coach that? Why do we need to play players overs to play in our system?

Answer - because its f**ked.
That's the thing that really shits me is how we've grown to accept mediocrity @ this club.The dogs don't make the top 4 or only just scrape into the 8 & all hell brakes loose.

Another of my major bugbears is our perpetually pathetic & innumerate administering of the cap

As much as I dislike Taylor I do get ur point re nobody of repute wanting the job after the betrayal of gentlemen Mick !

Shredder

Juniors
I think if nothing else, it would be fair to say that Potter would not be doing a worse job and was more in tune with the players. I would have loved to have heard JTs interview though - he must have spun some SHIT!

Tiger Ted

Bench
I hear what you are saying. How about I expand on what I said. We have a team that has the ability to win a lot of games and score a lot of points.

We have weaknesses though defensively especially on the edges. Our halves are ordinary defenders. Our centres have issues. I'm not sure who will be worse - Idris or Naiqama. Our two best wingers have issues - Nofo and Suli. I only mention Suli because he is extremely young and I figure will have some problems. Our backrow edge defenders in Lawrence, Sue and Aloiai all struggle at times especially with lateral movement.

I'm still worried about Taylor stuffing it all up as well.

We could though if things go our way have a really good season. Tedesco and Moses should be weapons. Our middle forwards look great. If Taylor picks Suli we could have a gun back 3 and those players make a huge difference in coming out of our end and scoring tries. Brooks and Idris could be anything as well.

I'm worried about our edge defence. I'm worried about the coach. I'm not worried about the kids. Pick the ones that are good enough. I'm more worried about picking some plodders that just aren't going to win us games ala Rankin.
The continual problem we face 05 is regardless of how good our attack might be it's all for nothing when we continue to defend so meekly.

The great coaches like Jack Gibson & the wok always prioritised with defence.The great parra & dogs teams they coached respectively were primarily great defensive teams with a never say die attitude qualities that the tigers r totally bereft of.

Under Taylor's tutelage the stats r crystal clear that our defence has regressed !

Latest posts