What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jai Field

TomRedVRiver

Bench
You want to know what excites me about Jai?
In one pre-season with the first grade squad he has come from nowhere to suddenly being one of the main options for the number 7.
Last year he was playing 20s and people were talking about his future... Now all of a sudden he's revealing himself as a genuine contender and a phenomenal footballer. If this is what the kid can do in one pre-season, can you imagine the heights he could achieve even further down the track alongside Ben Hunt?
I'm excited.

Crush

Coach
I was looking for a positive thread to post on and this one is probably the only one that isn't sack the coach and burn the club to the ground at the moment.
I agree TomRedVRiver, Jai is exciting. I really hope that he gets to play the season in the NRL team and learn his craft against the best. He will make mistakes,no doubt, but just like the tigers have done with their young halves, the dragons should use this year to give Jai the experience he needs.

BrissyRedV

Bench
I was looking for a positive thread to post on and this one is probably the only one that isn't sack the coach and burn the club to the ground at the moment.
I agree TomRedVRiver, Jai is exciting. I really hope that he gets to play the season in the NRL team and learn his craft against the best. He will make mistakes,no doubt, but just like the tigers have done with their young halves, the dragons should use this year to give Jai the experience he needs.
He is definitely a keeper. Trailing the forwards waiting for offloads he could be absolutely lethal.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Sounds like he could be playing round one off the bench.
Could be considered wasteful for his development especially under Mary and the way he manages the interchange. Personally, I would like to see him play in the halves/FB for the Cutters, build his match fitness against bigger bodies and build his confidence leading a team around. He could then either be played from the bench later on in the season or move straight into the halves/FB depending on team requirements.

giboz71

First Grade
The only reason that Mary would use Field from the bench is that he's the only x-factor we have at the moment. The CS showed what the status quo will deliver - which is the exact same rubbish as last year.

He's probably not thinking of Field's long term development as he'll likely not be here anyway. He's likely banking on Field to be the one thing keeping him from the boot at the end of the year.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Using Field from the bench is madness.
Firstly, it uses at least 3 interchanges to het him on. then off then on again. So our forwards would work overtime, get exhausted and now we are defending most of the time. Jai's impact = zero
Secondly, what is the expectation? I mean you put him om for a 10-15min spell and you expect him to produce the miracle play each time! and what if he's can't and is covered well, because we telegraphed his arrival on the playing field, mmmm, also see point 1.

Jai has to play and play a full game each week to build his body and get used to the rigours of "senior" football.
So he either starts as the NRFL half or he plays for the Cutters. I think the latter will develop him and his game more and when ready introduce him at least then he will have a greater impact on the game.

BrissyRedV

Bench
The only reason that Mary would use Field from the bench is that he's the only x-factor we have at the moment. The CS showed what the status quo will deliver - which is the exact same rubbish as last year.

He's probably not thinking of Field's long term development as he'll likely not be here anyway. He's likely banking on Field to be the one thing keeping him from the boot at the end of the year.
Exactly. Mary will show little patience in a rookie as he is trying to save his own arse. I would also fear for Jai's own mental well being as we know Mary does not shield the players well from criticism and a few bad games may have some critics heaping more pressure on to his young shoulders. Jai would likely prove just as ineffective in the coaches current structures as pretty much all other players have thus far.

watatank

Coach
Of course the idea of having Field play is exciting when no games have been played...I just hope Field's development is managed properly and that he won't be thrown under the bus.

possm

Coach
Our halves are the main problem. Field is the only candidate for a halves position who can create something with is blinding speed and elusiveness. At this stage I don't believe he should shoulder the task of organising the play and kicking for goal. Ideally he should be in space when he receives the ball. So for this reason I would like to see him selected at 1, 5 or 6.

hazzbeen

Bench
Of course the idea of having Field play is exciting when no games have been played...I just hope Field's development is managed properly and that he won't be thrown under the bus.
Agree , but you forgot one thing we cant afford a bus .....:)

giboz71

First Grade

It never helps when the decision maker is try to save his own arse. Believe me, long term plans are not being considered.

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
I don't get the idea of playing Field at Fullback. We already have Dufty and these two, along with hunt could be the 'Big Three' which we build a dynasty around.

But, I like to day dream

ALSGI

Bench
I don't get the idea of playing Field at Fullback. We already have Dufty and these two, along with hunt could be the 'Big Three' which we build a dynasty around.

But, I like to day dream
That's no dream mate, it's a phrophecy, wait and see.

But, I like to day dream
I do dude
It is always going to be hard to inject the youth into the team all at once
IMO the number 1 objective for next year is to get Jai ready to play with Ben this year
Bennett played Lockyer at fullback before moving him to 5/8 by doing so he gave him time to develop his game
Moylan will do the same for Penrith
They can read the play then pick & choose when to inject themselves also get a feel for first grade at the same time.
Dufty can also bide his time starting eventually on the wing & then moving to fullback later on
That gives whoever the coach is options
Dufty on wing give him options to move him to fullback if Jai gets injured
Dugan will also be in the centres which also gives him that option
Jai at fullback gives him options to play him at 5/8 if Widdop gets injured etc
Dufty will get the fullback position eventually Patience & luck with injuries is the key
Dufty & Jai both have fantastic speed & footwork the futures so bright I gotta wear shades

Cooper Cronk started on the wing

ALSGI

Bench
I do dude
IMO the number 1 objective for next year is to get Jai ready to play with Ben this year
Bennett played Lockyer at fullback before moving him to 5/8 by doing so he gave him time to develop his game
They can read the play then pick & choose when to inject themselves also get a feel for first grade at the same time.
Dufty can also bide his time starting eventually on the wing & then moving to fullback later on
Dufty will get the fullback position eventually Patience & luck with injuries is the key
Dufty & Jai both have fantastic speed & footwork the futures so bright I gotta wear shades

SandyPointDragon
That's very well said, agree 100%

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
I do dude

Very Concise and pretty well thought out.

Only thing that concerns me, people were worried about Dufty's defence at the back, I doubt Jai would be as good in this area.
I feel it would be better to play Jai in the Cutters under the last true halfback the dragons ever had in Matt Head, soaking up as much as he can, conditioning his body away from scrutiny. He is signed til 2019 so a year in the NSW cup in the halves would be very beneficial. He can fill in the NRL squad for injuries or if his form demands it.
That way Dufty can also hone his game in NSW cup and eventually, hopefully, move into the top 17 sometime this year.

mickeylane

Bench
In a perfect world you would bring both Field and Dufty along slowly this year - play as many Cutters games w at least 5-6 first grade appearances this year - but we are so desperate for success and some much needed natural attack that these 2 youngsters are our best option..

Ideally Mann should b the 5/8 this year w WIDDOP to first receiver
Dugan stays at Fullback
And choose your centres from the choice of 4/5 we have at our disposal - they're all on equal footing IMO..