What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rate Gareth Widdop

ALSGI

Bench
Well you may not be Vas or the other bloke, just Glenn01 by name & yet Glenn20 by nature....a masking agent used to cover up bad odours and bacteria spread.
We all know the Dragons have massive problems based around both Captain & Coach and we all want a solution ASAP.
Haha love it Coffs dragon, very clever Glenn20.
Kills 99% of germs, bacteria and good discussion. The 1% left over is the Glen01.

possm

Coach
We need to blood both Field and Dufty in first grade this year however, I'd like to see Widdop at 7 and Mann at 6 in round 1. As Dufty is injured and won't be ready for round 1, why not give Field a go at fullback and move Dugan to right centre.

j0nesy

Bench
We need to blood both Field and Dufty in first grade this year however, I'd like to see Widdop at 7 and Mann at 6 in round 1. As Dufty is injured and won't be ready for round 1, why not give Field a go at fullback and move Dugan to right centre.

Not a bad option possum, had a similar thought myself. See how Field goes at fullback, leave Dugan at centre and make a call on fullback and halves when Dufty returns.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I hope that we do not retain Widdop as in his role of Captain he does not inspire the team as he has little ability
and is a pathetic kicker.in general play and for conversions. He looks lost, bored, disinterested, unmotivated and appears that he could not give a stuff.
He has great leadership skills! They will probably resign him for $700,000
because they are stupid.

Uplifting

Juniors
Widdop sometimes looks low in confidence. He's still 'finding himself' as a player (as cheesy as that sounds) and probably has a few doubts and unanswered questions: did I completely rely on Cronk at the Storm, am I a leader, do my physical qualities hinder me from being a more effective player?

I hope he works it all out and has a great season!

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Playing Widdop at fullback would and should be an option. He has played there before.

He has the build and given the room he can return the ball in attack. I know this won't happen but it at least put it the mix.

I agree. Also playing him in the cutters would and should be an option too. It's becoming increasingly hard to justify him taking a first grade spot at the expense of others.

This Year?

Immortal
Playing Widdop at fullback would and should be an option. He has played there before.

He has the build and given the room he can return the ball in attack. I know this won't happen but it at least put it in the mix.

What I like about this idea is the only times he touches the ball is on a kick return or at the end of an attacking passage,

WHILE MC ANCHOR IS IN CHARGE THE WORDS CREATIVE THINKING WILL NEVER BE HEARD WIDDOP AS FULL BACK MAYBE JUST AS BAD AS WIDDOP THE 5/8 HE NEEDS TO GO ON THE SAME GANGPLANK AS HIS COACH BYE BYE

RufusRex

Post Whore
Widdop to fullback is plain dumb.

Firstly, you are replacing one of the best defensive backs in the game with one of the worst. Widdop was top 10 in missed tackles last year.

You are replacing one of the games best kick returners with a bloke that likes to play in a dinner suit.

Lastly, he will still get in the way of the attack. He will chime into the line as a fullback and still have absolutely no idea what to do and end up kicking into the legs of the defenders or some other crap.

The line between 1 and 6 in the modern game if you play your halves either side of the field is very blurred.

Widdop to 1 will be a clusterf**k.

giboz71

First Grade

Firstly, you are replacing one of the best defensive backs in the game with one of the worst. Widdop was top 10 in missed tackles last year.

You are replacing one of the games best kick returners with a bloke that likes to play in a dinner suit.

Lastly, he will still get in the way of the attack. He will chime into the line as a fullback and still have absolutely no idea what to do and end up kicking into the legs of the defenders or some other crap.

The line between 1 and 6 in the modern game if you play your halves either side of the field is very blurred.

Hear what you're saying, but moving him to FB serves 2 purposes. Duges will move to centre where he's likely to play next year (if he's still with us), and it will free up 6 for Mann or Field who are our most likely options to partner Hunt in 2018.

As others have said, this won't happen, but if we're at all looking to the future, it should. The clusterf**k is the Round 1 team which has just been announced (exactly the same backline, minus our best back in Mann) which is a repeat of last year's rubbish.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Attempting to place an objective rating on Widdop is difficult.

Either you like him as a player, or you don't.

My contribution to this thread is to simply highlight that only two-years ago, he was in RLW's Top 20 ranked players. Last year, that figure fell significantly to no. 97.

I'll also point out (again) a quote attributed to Craig Bellamy when Widdop announced he was joining St. George Illawarra.

"(They) have a good one".

Personally I believe Widdop is an extremely gifted footballer who's suffering a malaise of low confidence hastened by incredibly inept coaching by Paul McGregor.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Exactly that useless turd Lafai and also Nighty playing out of position for a long period.
Lafai is awful in defence and made Widdop's job impossible thus the additional missed tackles.
How many defensive situations did Widdop clean up around the goal line (plenty)

Nailed it

Carlton

Juniors

Careful Rufus Rex its politically incorrect to criticise how Widdop has been playing. There seem to be any number of reasons why its not fair to question his form. Its either Benji or Mary or Lafai or because its a full moon or something.

I don't accept that the Captain and playmaker is playing poorly and he maintains his position in the team even if there is an excuse. The bottom line is his defence has been poor, his game management has been poor, his kicking has been poor, his captaincy has been poor, his running has been poor, his setting up play has been poor.

RufusRex

Post Whore
In the defensive line, who was outside Widdop?

when widderp was on the left

start of the season left centre was Lafai, end of season left centre was Aitken (who is apparently a defensive genius)

so I see your point and granted it has a lot of merit. Lafai is slow and turns with the speed of the QE2, and Aitken has no clue about defending in a line. Nightingale is at the end of his career and is not blessed with speed so it seems that any pace in the opposition backline can easily undo our left edge defence.

none of this changes the fact that Dugan is a better defensive fullback than Widdop and if Widdop were to move to fullback he would still inject himself into our attack and break it.

Last edited:

RufusRex

Post Whore
Attempting to place an objective rating on Widdop is difficult.

Either you like him as a player, or you don't.

My contribution to this thread is to simply highlight that only two-years ago, he was in RLW's Top 20 ranked players. Last year, that figure fell significantly to no. 97.

I'll also point out (again) a quote attributed to Craig Bellamy when Widdop announced he was joining St. George Illawarra.

"(They) have a good one".

Personally I believe Widdop is an extremely gifted footballer who's suffering a malaise of low confidence hastened by incredibly inept coaching by Paul McGregor.

Widdop is not an organising half in any way shape or form. This hurt the last two years in that we had two running 5/8s and no organising half. That was f**ked up. Now, because he is 6 and captain it seems like he thinks he has to be the organising half esp when McCrone is off the field. Responsibility is forcing him into a role that isn't his strength.