What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Hunt

betcats

Referee
Maloney was worse than Hunt last night imo. His kicking was off and he didn't do anything else besides take a freak bounce for a try and get knocked down by Roberts on his way to scoring.

possm

Coach
Field is the Dragon's Roberts. I wonder who would be the quicker out of the two.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Not sure if there's any truth to that, but I did notice Corey was quite snipey when asked about Ben Hunt's move to the Dragons. Just little comments like "I was surpised at the amount of money" etc.

It's a second hand story, but that's what I was told. My cousin reckons Corey Parker is a terrific bloke and a good neighbour, but he doesn't think much of the younger Bronco's players, and specifically mentioned Ben Hunt and the quad bike incident.

I wouldn't read too much into it. Most blokes do something stupid when young. His football skills are what's important.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
It's a second hand story, but that's what I was told. My cousin reckons Corey Parker is a terrific bloke and a good neighbour, but he doesn't think much of the younger Bronco's players, and specifically mentioned Ben Hunt and the quad bike incident.

I wouldn't read too much into it. Most blokes do something stupid when young. His football skills are what's important.

Personally I hope the story is true, f*** Corey Parker and his quad bike! Hopefully Ben Hunt can destroy some more Broncos' property on his way out.

st.phil

Bench
He was terrific in 2014 and 2015.

He has been a shadow of that player since. He was the worst half on the field last night by a considerable margin. No vision in controlling a game. He still makes mistakes under pressure and he has no idea how to execute the necessary kick.

He has a terrific running game and knows how to use support players. But as the guy running a team he needs more than that.

Im not a Dragons fan obviously. But I think you guys will end up seeing him the same way you do Widdop. Take him out of a gun team and his flaws will be more obvious. The areas he excels in won't be to the same level.
Disagree...completely different player to widdop and RE last night he easily had maloneys measure (will cop Townsend and Milf played better) Even in a patchy performance in Hunt I see a general, he makes that side tick and can't wait until he's in the V.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I love how people are already making judgments on him as a player after round 1. It's round 1 you crumbs, every player is a little bit rusty.
By the way, those who think that he had a "bad year" last year... Check out these stats.

16938953_1117109841749699_2982989602230463328_n.jpg

Smirrors

Juniors
The haters are out now that we signed him, they will try and devalue his worth. They would have laughed if we didn't sign him. He is a good player, nothing more to prove to the Broncos.

Guys like Corey Parker are from the old school of league. They will hate the fact that Hunt will earn in a few years what took Parker his whole career and rep honors.

Lethal25

Juniors
So just imagine how Parker feels when he sees Hunt on 1m and now Boyd being offered around the same by the Broncos.
Let's not forget Possm that most likely Bennett forced his hand into retirement, earlier in the year he was keen for another 2 seasons and then all of a sudden he's retiring with a job at Foxsports..........

Smirrors

Juniors
By the way, those who think that he had a "bad year" last year... Check out these stats.

Who designed these graphs? Ben Hunt is an all rounder that runs the ball more often. I guess what graphs don't show you is the dominance and impact of the player on the team. No doubt Cronk and JT take full ownership of their teams compared to Hunt. But Ben will become the dominant player at the V and will be judged accordingly.

corvettedragon

Juniors

Is your cousin a good sauce?

Father Ted

First Grade
Field is the Dragon's Roberts. I wonder who would be the quicker out of the two.

Which brings up a question . In a few years time lets say that Field and Dufty become the players we all hope they can be. Because we paid so much for Hunt will it impact on our ability to retain these young talents? And if Hunt is the half one would think Field would play 5/8th and so Widdop is also gone I presume.

possm

Coach
As a rule of thumb you would always keep and priorities the players in your spine. So say Dufty at fullback, Field at five-eighth, Hunt at halfback and Robson at hooker could easily be our spine in the not so distant future.

Luckily for us, all but Hunt are starting from a low base and hopefully, young juniors and external players are always coming to market. So our recruitment / retention planning managers, with both eyes on the salary cap, should be easily move forward from season to season simply by keeping the spine together.

If a business-like approach is adopted rather than decisions based on empathy / loyalty / nepotism, a good management should be able to hold the team together by preserving the spine.

Things can go very wrong when non-spine players are paid excessive salaries and so jeopardising the Club's ability to fund the spine. And when it is time to replace one or more of our spine players, it should be a case of replacing players with similar or better talent.

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
Which brings up a question . In a few years time lets say that Field and Dufty become the players we all hope they can be. Because we paid so much for Hunt will it impact on our ability to retain these young talents? And if Hunt is the half one would think Field would play 5/8th and so Widdop is also gone I presume.
If things continue the way they are going in a few years players like Dufty and Field would have left because they were not getting selected in first grade. Like Bird did.
This weekend we run out with Dufty, Mann, Milne and possibly Field playing reserve grade.
Dufty and Field I can cop because they are young but Mann and Milne are two of our best. They wont stick around for long if they are playing reserve grade....

Vinnie

Juniors
I would like to think Dufty and Field will progress and actually become the players we hope them to be so that they can take over from Widdop and Dugan ... And that alone frees up approx 1.2mil so i would think there is plenty there to retain them both and others !!!!!
My only fear is that our wonderfull board will miss the boat and lose them both !!!

Vinnie

Juniors
As a rule of thumb you would always keep and priorities the players in your spine. So say Dufty at fullback, Field at five-eighth, Hunt at halfback and Robson at hooker could easily be our spine in the not so distant future.

Luckily for us, all but Hunt are starting from a low base and hopefully, young juniors and external players are always coming to market. So our recruitment / retention planning managers, with both eyes on the salary cap, should be easily move forward from season to season simply by keeping the spine together.

If a business-like approach is adopted rather than decisions based on empathy / loyalty / nepotism, a good management should be able to hold the team together by preserving the spine.

Things can go very wrong when non-spine players are paid excessive salaries and so jeopardising the Club's ability to fund the spine. And when it is time to replace one or more of our spine players, it should be a case of replacing players with similar or better talent.
Ummm Robson ????