What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Hunt

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Personally, I hope Hunt has a quite year, stays in the background and doesn't get injured.
The last thing we want is for him to bust his backside for the Broncos.
We want fresh legs this time next year.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Personally, I hope Hunt has a quite year, stays in the background and doesn't get injured.
The last thing we want is for him to bust his backside for the Broncos.
We want fresh legs this time next year.

I disagree. I'd like him to have a blinder, push for the #17 QLD jersey. Hell maybe even win a premiership. For what we're paying him I'd love for him to come with as much big game and match winning experience as possible.

possm

Coach
I disagree. I'd like him to have a blinder, push for the #17 QLD jersey. Hell maybe even win a premiership. For what we're paying him I'd love for him to come with as much big game and match winning experience as possible.
I'd rather he do those things in 2018.

ALSGI

Bench
In his post match interview he did say he wasn't happy with his game, especially his kicking game, kicking directly to defence......said he had a bit of work to do. Refreshing honesty compared to our mob.
If that's his bad game, can't wait till he's here.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Listening to Sterlo the other night and he seems to think Hunts best footy is yet to come...he really rates him...told the panel he was hoping he would end up at Parra......don't usually get turned on by most of the TV footy panels comments but he usually knows what hes talking about...well lets hope hes right with this one

I agree, Sterlo would be one of the most astute commentators currently on any of the tv shows.
Interesting how his opinion is polar opposite to many that are bagging Hunt.
Ben Ikin is very poor at displaying his hidden agenda.

Gareth67

First Grade
Gents , with respect , Hunt certainly is not up there with the best halves running around in this competition . To me there are only 3 - Thurston ,Cronk and Johnson , they are in a class of their own .
However there are halves that do have really ability , the ability to turn a game around and the Dragons will have one in their ranks next year . The chaps name is Ben Hunt , and he will do the club proud .
Let's not be too critical of him , at least wait until he is actually playing for our team before we do that . Otherwise we may very well end up with damaged goods , before he has even pulled the Big Red V on .

Last edited:

Glenn01

Juniors
Personally I'm optimistic. Was it Brisbanes first try when Hunt took the ball in both hands, ran to the line and the Shonksters had no idea whether he was going to run it himself, kick it or pass it? Remember what it's like to have a half who does that? As opposed to Widdop sending the opposition an email, letting them know whether he is going to run across field and slip over, catch and immediately pass or kick into the opposition players legs 5 minutes before he does it.

TheOnlyTeam

Juniors
What are we all going to say if he backflips on the deal? He did play for the winning team last night against the premiers who were there to play from the kickoff.

ALSGI

Bench
What are we all going to say if he backflips on the deal? He did play for the winning team last night against the premiers who were there to play from the kickoff.
TOT
Only back flips will be after he scores or sets up try, after try (Blaclock style) !!!
No room for any other back flips mate.

Glenn01

Juniors
Gee you'd think he's already wearing the red v by the way that old flog Alexander is bagging everything he does.

Tool.
I just can't understand this stupidity and naivety which is seemingly so prevalent in this forum. If Greg Alexander was full of praise for Hunt, I would start to worry. If Gaz was full of praise I would be very happy. Craig Bellamy, Wayne Bennett, Corey Parker, Peter Tunks, Greg Alexander, Tom Ridiculous and etc don't have the best interests of the Dragons in mind. Gaz does. Peter Sterling, Phil Gould and to an extent, Andrew Johns seem to be more honest.

It's especially absurd for guys like Bellamy and Bennett! FFS, they are rival coaches! If they offer an opinion on the Dragons one should immediately think the opposite is likely true. That may or may not be the case but one thing is for certain. They are absolutely not going to offer any constructive advice.

Dragsters

First Grade
Personally I'm optimistic. Was it Brisbanes first try when Hunt took the ball in both hands, ran to the line and the Shonksters had no idea whether he was going to run it himself, kick it or pass it? Remember what it's like to have a half who does that? As opposed to Widdop sending the opposition an email, letting them know whether he is going to run across field and slip over, catch and immediately pass or kick into the opposition players legs 5 minutes before he does it.

I'm glad someone else noticed that lead up work.

Hunt's lead up play put Boyd into a great position to deliver the pass to the winger.

Watching fox neither Warren Smith or that old flog Alexander even acknowledged it. They simply gushed over Boyd's effort.

Also, I don't think it's fair to compare him with JT and Cronk just yet. I think most would agree that pairs last five seasons have been their best.

All the pundits are because of the contract value, but I think that is more a product of the time, with the pending cap increase and the Dragons needing a 7, rather than his worth.

Let's see what he can achieve by the time he is their age.

JDHD

Juniors
Honestly, I wasn't overly impressed with Hunt last night and on more than one occasion, I thought he'd fit in well with us this year.

Having said that, i think he could've been guilty of trying a little too hard given the play his contract with the Dragons has got.

Did anyone see the pre-game show? I thought Corey Parker discreetly put the boot into Hunt. He was going on about Hunt needing to do more off the field...doing extra to get himself right on and off the field.

He did the same before the Charity Shield. I read Corey Parker's autobiography (waste of a week) and reckon it's because Hunt got a payday and Parker never did. Seriously, there's like a three page rant in that book about how good he was and how much he deserved a pay rise and he never got one.

JDHD

Juniors
To Hunt's credit, he's owned that performance. He came out today and said that his fifth tackle options weren't good enough and he needs to work on them. After three years of Benji and Widdop, it'll be nice to have a playmaker who takes responsibility when he has a crap game.

Dragsters

First Grade
I just can't understand this stupidity and naivety which is seemingly so prevalent in this forum. If Greg Alexander was full of praise for Hunt, I would start to worry. If Gaz was full of praise I would be very happy. Craig Bellamy, Wayne Bennett, Corey Parker, Peter Tunks, Greg Alexander, Tom Ridiculous and etc don't have the best interests of the Dragons in mind. Gaz does. Peter Sterling, Phil Gould and to an extent, Andrew Johns seem to be more honest.

It's especially absurd for guys like Bellamy and Bennett! FFS, they are rival coaches! If they offer an opinion on the Dragons one should immediately think the opposite is likely true. That may or may not be the case but one thing is for certain. They are absolutely not going to offer any constructive advice.

I'm not suggesting Alexander should praise anyone but it's pretty clear he bags the Dragons at what seems every opportunity and it seems to me Hunt is also in his sights.

Thats my opinion pal and If you thinks that makes me stupid and or niave, then that probably says more about you than it does me.

Last edited:

JDHD

Juniors
I agree, Sterlo would be one of the most astute commentators currently on any of the tv shows.
Interesting how his opinion is polar opposite to many that are bagging Hunt.
Ben Ikin is very poor at displaying his hidden agenda.

Ben Ikin was going on about how Hunt is set up to fail at the Dragons on the Market Watch podcast and then in the next breath said that Mitchell Pearce will win the Dally M. I wouldn't trust Ikin to sit the right way on a toilet seat.

mickeylane

Bench
If you look at Ben Hunt he plays the game in a very similar manner to Andrew Johns.. Runs to the line and takes the line on - switches play suddenly (see last night leading up to Milfords try - that was a half a try pass) - big tackler has good upper body strength.. Good initial speed..

When he gets here next year he will feed off the pressure of being head honcho.. He's worth every cent ..