What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Vaughan

Glenn01

Juniors
State of Origin NSW Blues Forward Pack -

8. Woods
9. Peats
10. Fifita
11. Frizell
12. Cordner
13. Merrin

14. James
15. Klemmer
16. Trbojevic
17. Utility, I'd pick Peachey.
Based on last game Merrin doesn't have a hope of being selected. I have long thought JDB had more potential and if the club could only keep one of them, better off keeping JDB.
Trbojevic is overrated as well. Both of them.

TruSaint

Referee
JDB is finally delivering what we all hoped he would.
Its only 1 game, but wow... what a game. he has matured to a real leader.

Work rate and minutes played alone, show this kid has a massive motor. Add skill to that and we have a winner.

Happy for JDB and the club that he's realising his potential. May it continue.

BennyV

Referee
he's already named in the shadow SOO squad last year - plus he's the BEST edge runner in the NRL...
I agree that he could handle SOO, but he's not the best left backrower or the best edge runner in the NRL, and there are a few ahead of him. Cordner will start on the left edge, he is far and above the best option there. Graham will probably be first drop if Cordner is injured, otherwise he'll be on the bench. Thompson probably comes in third behind those two (thats just for NSW, if we are talking comp wide then he's also gotta consider Gillett and probably Harris before we get to JT)...

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
If I may add Luke Priddis to that list , as the amount of tackling that bloke done for the team , was amazing , plus the extra meters from dummy-half . He would always catch the opposition defence napping , and always made them pay by breaks straight up the centre ,leading to try scoring opportunities . Most underrated player in the Dragons team in those years .

Absolutely. The Fiend as well.

blacksafake

First Grade
JDB is finally delivering what we all hoped he would.
Its only 1 game, but wow... what a game. he has matured to a real leader.

Work rate and minutes played alone, show this kid has a massive motor. Add skill to that and we have a winner.

Happy for JDB and the club that he's realising his potential. May it continue.
Well it took a while for L plate to work out his game. He is best suited to playing long minutes with straight hard running & tackling not as a second receiver ball player.Less thinking more just playing whats in front of him.

giboz71

First Grade
Well it took a while for L plate to work out his game. He is best suited to playing long minutes with straight hard running & tackling not as a second receiver ball player.Less thinking more just playing whats in front of him.

True, but one of Thommo's tries, JDB was first or second receiver and played that role perfectly.

Nothing wrong with JDB ball playing, provided he does it well.

TruSaint

Referee
True, but one of Thommo's tries, JDB was first or second receiver and played that role perfectly.

Have to agree and a huge part of that is the old cliche' of " playing what is in front of you .
JDB was hampered with structure. We could all see last year, when the sets where taking shape, " ok its tackle 3/4, here comes JDB "... as did the opposition. Predicable.

We scored 2-3 quality tries by driving forward on the back of a huge pack and then players actually usually their instinct .. Duges kick and regather, McCrone looking for Gaz to run through his grubber, etc etc etc.

And finally, great back up support by all involved. Even if they make a blunder or two, ... i can live with that. Lets hope round one was an indication that the coaching staff , after so long, putting a little faith in the players we have.

Round 2 will will crucial, not from a ladder perspective, but a foundation to build some confidence for a team.

Bench
JDB played his best game in. While also Vaughan could be rated as one of our best buys in years and then we have Packet, he seems to lifted a notch this year, I know it's only the first game but if these three continue like the first game it is going to be a good year.

TruSaint

Referee
JDB played his best game in. While also Vaughan could be rated as one of our best buys in years and then we have Packet, he seems to lifted a notch this year, I know it's only the first game but if these three continue like the first game it is going to be a good year.

Yes, Packer was awesome... as was all our pack to be honest.
One big lad replaced another... All with foot speed and power. Sims also gave them heaps. We have a lot of issues, but our pack is not one.

Good post.

emu62

Juniors
Yes, Packer was awesome... as was all our pack to be honest.
One big lad replaced another... All with foot speed and power. Sims also gave them heaps. We have a lot of issues, but our pack is not one.

Good post.

Agree TruSaint , just a bit worried when our pack is held that having the slowest backline in The NRL will bite us on the arse. A team like the Tigers , Moses & Tedesco could really do some damage to our backline. Hopefully that wont happen

Red V for life

Juniors
Well, I'd be happy if none of our players were selected for SOO; it knocks the team around so much. I wish they would play the SOO series after the GF.
Or stop the comp proper and either play a 9s comp or a Panasonic Cup style comp for the 6 weeks, but no chance while a certain network is involved.

Oh, the memories of driving up to Sydney, and specifically, the SCG to watch the mid-week comp :hugging: If the Dragons won, the old man's victory lap was a drive over the Harbour Bridge before driving home.

I can only remember one victory lap :cry:

Anyway, well off the topic of Paul Vaughan. Please continue...

blacksafake

First Grade

Agree however last year it was so predictable with no thought of running. It seemed like it was just a training run which never had the opposition guessing.

Frank Facer

First Grade
State of Origin NSW Blues Forward Pack -

8. Woods
9. Peats
10. Fifita
11. Frizell
12. Cordner
13. Merrin

14. James
15. Klemmer
16. Trbojevic
17. Utility, I'd pick Peachey.
I like that pack to the max.

I would have

1 Tedesco
2 B Morris
3 T Trbojevic
4 Leilua
5 Fergo
6 Maloney
7 Cleary
8 Woods
9 Farrah. (c)He is still NSW best hooker.
10 Klemmer
11 Frizzell
12 Cordner
13 DeBelin If he continues with the same form that he has displayed in the Charity Shield and against Penrith

14 Bird utility
15 James
16 Junior Paulo
17 Fifita

Hayne has to prove that he still has it. If he is in form then I would strongly consider him for wing or centre.

Divine

Bench
Ben Ikin mentioned during the Millward interview that(during the Penrith game) the numbers for the cumulative metres ran for the St George pack were the highest in a decade. That's some stat.

John moz

Juniors
Vaughan looks the goods what a game in his first hit out with his new club.He gave us the go forward we needed and lifted every other forward in the team .Could be the buy of the season and a leader .

Bench
Vaughan looks the goods what a game in his first hit out with his new club.He gave us the go forward we needed and lifted every other forward in the team .Could be the buy of the season and a leader .
I to think he is the buy of the season. He adds a new dimension to the pack.

Old Timer

Coach
Ben Ikin mentioned during the Millward interview that(during the Penrith game) the numbers for the cumulative metres ran for the St George pack were the highest in a decade. That's some stat.
Can we repeat it against the tough packs is the question
Penrith were cream puffs and others will do to them exactly what we did if not worse so where will that put us then?
Need 4 games IMO to find out the truth of the matter.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Can we repeat it against the tough packs is the question
Penrith were cream puffs and others will do to them exactly what we did if not worse so where will that put us then?
Need 4 games IMO to find out the truth of the matter.

Agree ot.
We will soon see how tough our pack is.
The eels will come hard fast and hit hard in defence.
So we need to close them down and win yhe forward battle and stop there go forward.

SEAT 1A

Bench

Agree John moz. very good signing.

Also, gave himself a rocket with his performance against the Bunnies and delivered in the first round when it mattered.

Latest posts