What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst NRL commentators

Worst NRL commentator

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pedge1971

First Grade
It's absurd that Gould won this poll. He's one of the only commentators in the game who provides genuine insight into RL. His feel for the game is far beyond anyone else on the list. It's part of why he was such a successful coach.

Yes, he's annoying at times, and has stupid hang-ups which he drones on about but how frivolous can you be to make that the metric? Listen to him in Origin. The guy knows football. He's observant, intuitive and can read a match in a way that no one else on that list can. The best commentary occurs when a person disregards the talking points, the pablum, the cliche and just calls it straight. No bullshit and isn't afraid to actually needle a player. Gould and Sterling do that far more than the others, and they couple it with accurate assessment of which the others are incapable.

Shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Ray Warren, Hadley, etc.

Yeah but he is a biased self absorbed merkin. That ruins all that other shit for me.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
How many other codes have someone like Gus calling games that spends more times sh!tting on the rules, refs, management etc than commenting on the positive things of what is happening in front of him?

butchmcdick

Immortal
I think he deleted his Twitter again.

Ennis is very good, Worst ever was TK or maybe Simon Wolford.

I take it you've never listened to Laurie Spina on ABC radio calling cowboys games ?

Also Jason Cositgan was terrible when he called the Warriors games. Players always planting the steeden underneath the black dot. Costo is an MP in the Qld parliament now

Canard

Immortal
Gould during Origin is your example of how good he is??

FMD.

Easily the worst commentator in the history of world sports.

Biased, agenda driven, inconsistent, prone to exaggeration, lingers on points for two long and ignores the game to pontificate.

Canard

Immortal
I can't stand the guy but I agree.

Walters is by far the worst commentator.

Walters has been in the job 2 mins though, I doubt he will last the year he is that average.

Gould has been in the job 30 years, he should be better.

MilkShark

First Grade
Walters has been in the job 2 mins though, I doubt he will last the year he is that average.

Gould has been in the job 30 years, he should be better.
Gould at least has good knowledge of the game. Sure he banters on about BS 90% but he can at least add some interesting input at times.

Walters adds nothing. He is the latest addition to the ''mates in high places'' group.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Halligan is without question for me the worst. Can't actually speak the language, for a start. Has no insight into the game (given he was a glorified place kicker, not surprising), uses 'line speed' to explain every swing in play or momentum with one side, says 'for sure' at the end of most things, comes up with phrases as funny as a kick in the pills as an attempt at humour, overpronounces Polynesian names, stutters and mumbles...he's just crap. And has been for 10 years, yet still keeps getting a job.

Mind you, he's amongst friends in being shit in the NZ commentary team.

I can't think of a job in the world where you can be so inept for so long and continue to be employed.

ed-grimley

Bench
Joey and Freddy crack me up

'Look at those thighs'
'Imagine him running at ya'
'Look at him move'

Hahaha

And Freddy is a dead-set tripper.

Garbage Analysis though

Vossy is by far the best
Voss points out the funny side if the game. Most commentators simply take it too seriously.
I can't stand bias in commentary - if the likes of Lockyer can't stop doing it they should find another job.

MilkShark

First Grade
Joey and Freddy crack me up

'Look at those thighs'
'Look at him move'

Hahaha

And Freddy is a dead-set tripper.

Garbage Analysis though

Vossy is by far the best
These guys are employed to commentate on the game due to them being ex NRL players yet they come up with input such as:

'Look at those thighs'
'Look at him move'

If I wanted to hear stupid sh1t like that i'd go and ask my wife to commentate.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Remember when gus would make 50 predictions before a game and by some fluke if one happened it would be "I told you that was going to happen"

simmo05

Bench
Gould is a cock head, especially when him and warren do their stupid backwards and forwards act, wish they would just call the damn game. As was said before, no one else just sh!ts on the sport like he does every game. Halligan is an absolute goose, Johns struggles to talk and sounds half cut most games Oh, how come Tallis wasn't mentioned? He sounds like he has a significant mental handicap, cant stand him.

ed-grimley

Bench
Rabbits should be charged for crimes against the English language with his misuse of words and his invented phrases. It's hard to know WTF he's on about sometimes.

MF88

Juniors
Gould during Origin is your example of how good he is??

FMD.

Easily the worst commentator in the history of world sports.

Biased, agenda driven, inconsistent, prone to exaggeration, lingers on points for two long and ignores the game to pontificate.
Just lol....

toomuchsoup

Juniors
These guys are employed to commentate on the game due to them being ex NRL players yet they come up with input such as:

'Look at those thighs'
'Look at him move'

If I wanted to hear stupid sh1t like that i'd go and ask my wife to commentate.

Don't get me wrong, Joey is quite useless. So useless that it's funny

Have a drink every time he says 'look at the size of him'

Freddy is actually pretty good though. Knows his shit and articulates it well. He's just a tripper at the same time

Latest posts