What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simona / Salary cap

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
furthermore, I dare say we have no spare cash. Simona's dickhead antics has essentially ensured we're under the cap.

With no Farah or Sironen on the books next year and if we can get Naiqama, Rankin and Idris new homes, we will have some coin and should be able to upgrade all four of Teddy, Woodsy, Brooksy and Mitchy and may even have enough spare to buy a player or two, if we aren't f**king stupid.

Depth is a huge issue at the club, so we can't just settle on upgrading those 4.

Tiger Woody

Juniors
Yep, because he's been terminated by the NRL and has breached his contract then he receives no money and the value of his contract will be returned fully to the club.

I'm concerned though that the club knew about this before it went public, because if I recall correctly, there were rumours the club were trying to palm him off just a few days before the match fixing allegations surfaced.

The same thing happened with Lovett too.

Why did the club try to pass the buck instead of reporting these directly to the NRL?
Agree 100%..
Tigers knew about both of them prior.
Its no coincidence

Tiger Woody

Juniors
furthermore, I dare say we have no spare cash. Simona's dickhead antics has essentially ensured we're under the cap.

With no Farah or Sironen on the books next year and if we can get Naiqama, Rankin and Idris new homes, we will have some coin and should be able to upgrade all four of Teddy, Woodsy, Brooksy and Mitchy and may even have enough spare to buy a player or two, if we aren't f**king stupid.

Depth is a huge issue at the club, so we can't just settle on upgrading those 4.
Agree again..lol
I know its only 1 game so far but gee Idris doesnt look good at all.
Hes really too slow for our backline..He would stifle it.
Try him as a forward in reserve grade first.See how he goes

Tiger Woody

Juniors

I like Whare from Penrith..
Hes back from a bad injury but great defender and can attack too

simmo1

First Grade
Could well have cost us semis last year this merkin.

Semi final experience would have been invaluable for the younger players, and may have helped ensure we retain the likes of Tedesco and Moses.

Who knows how much damage this merkin has done?

Ron's_Mate

Bench

Semi final experience would have been invaluable for the younger players, and may have helped ensure we retain the likes of Tedesco and Moses.

Realistically he has done us a huge favour by getting de-registered - getting us under the cap, getting Chee Kam into the team, and freeing up some cash for signings.

simmo1

First Grade
Nope.

Can't imagine he was on massive money, so hasn't freed up a large enough amount of money to sign anyone decent.

He's also a better player than Chee Kam.

Every aspect of this story is sad,a young man wasting his NRL career,for cheating on his club,team mates and fans,than when you think his moral compass can't get any lower he pockets charity money.

macnaz

Staff member

His apparent modest bets could have cost thousands to others.. JT may have lost his job for not making the 8 , sponsors may have bonus clauses in their investments which the club missed out on , and finals football atracting future sponsors..
f**k this gambling addiction crap !! There are a million gambling options out there without selling out those who play with you and those who contribute to your very well paid lifestyle
Add to that the charity stuff..
TIM SIMONA YOU ARE A PIECE OF SHIT !!

BrotherJim05

Bench
We have no idea what was going on behind the scenes. He may have been blackmailed into arranging these bets or match fixing. I'm not supporting what he did in any way shape or form, or even trying to make excuses, but the club should still ensure his wellbeing while this is carried out.

Shredder

Juniors
Greenberg seemed more pissed about the charity auctions that the bets.

It just all comes under bringing the game into disrepute.

Tiger05

First Grade
He was one of if not my favourite player. I feel sorry for him in some ways for being addicted to gambling but he has done some pretty low shit. Imagine selling your jersey for charity but just pocketing the money.

What he has done is f**ked up. I suppose he has no money and no job now when he was earning a cool couple of hundred grand per year.

Shredder

Juniors
Please dont take this the wrong way -
Firstly I am glad hes gone - the game is trying to be as clean as possible, which is great and given we are probably due something stupid from Dogs fans this year, lets try and keep it as clean as possible.

The concern was not that he auctioned items for charity and didnt give them the money.
The charity in question said they were surprised with the low level of donation.

So from the outset, he was going to auction some stuff off and donate a portion to charity.

This is very very common.

You guys knows the "kids with cancer" guys that raffle off cars in shopping centres?

I used to date a girl that worked for the major children's cancer charity in Australia and she told me this car raffle company was a private company and donated a "portion" of their gains to Children's cancer.

Nowhere in their stands do they use the word "portion"

The same thing does for the guy that has backbackers selling the foam Raindeer ears at Christmas.

Im only saying this as my view is yeah he did the wrong thing, but he has been punished for it. He shouldn't be vilified for doing something that others do routinely.

Is it dodgey - yeah, but hes paid the price - he's lost his livelihood.

Matter is closed - ets set up for a great year of making the 8 and winning the premiership.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Please dont take this the wrong way -
Firstly I am glad hes gone - the game is trying to be as clean as possible, which is great and given we are probably due something stupid from Dogs fans this year, lets try and keep it as clean as possible.

The concern was not that he auctioned items for charity and didnt give them the money.
The charity in question said they were surprised with the low level of donation.

So from the outset, he was going to auction some stuff off and donate a portion to charity.

This is very very common.

You guys knows the "kids with cancer" guys that raffle off cars in shopping centres?

I used to date a girl that worked for the major children's cancer charity in Australia and she told me this car raffle company was a private company and donated a "portion" of their gains to Children's cancer.

Nowhere in their stands do they use the word "portion"

The same thing does for the guy that has backbackers selling the foam Raindeer ears at Christmas.

Im only saying this as my view is yeah he did the wrong thing, but he has been punished for it. He shouldn't be vilified for doing something that others do routinely.

Is it dodgey - yeah, but hes paid the price - he's lost his livelihood.

Matter is closed - ets set up for a great year of making the 8 and winning the premiership.
To bad for the idiot that he didn't appreciate that he was in a very privileged position as an elite sportsmen who was paid well & lauded by sycophantic groupies who inflate the egos of ingrates like him.

f**k him how can anyone have sympathy for a prick who betrayed us in the worst way possible & is bereft of a moral compass !

There's a reasonable likelihood this scumbag cost us a spot in the 8 last yr & if not well the evidence demonstrates by his unforgivable misdeeds that he did his best to ensure we wouldn't play finals footy !

The following article, published today by the Daily Telegraph, may answer your questions regarding Simona's impact on the Tiger's salary cap for 2017 (I bolded the relevant parts in the article) -

How Tim Simona was caught gambling on NRL matches
CHRISTIAN NICOLUSSI, Rugby League, The Daily Telegraph
March 11, 2017 5:00am

IT was midway through last season when Wests Tigers officials first noticed a disturbing Facebook post involving Tim Simona.

There were suggestions of gambling and excessive partying, which prompted club officials to contact the NRL integrity unit.

Mark O’Neill, the club’s football manager at the time, had a quiet word to Simona. So too did chief executive Justin Pascoe.

Simona denied most of the allegations.

“He put it down to nothing more than a scorned ex-lover,’’ one Tigers source told The Saturday Telegraph.

Simona was interviewed at League Central and later cleared.

Thinking the matter was over, Tigers officials returned for training in the new year, only to be told by the integrity unit on the quiet that Simona was again in their sights.

Simona played down the allegations when confronted.
db2604b82a959bafc2fd013d93eeac29

The Facebook messages advertising the auction.
On February 15, the same day the Tigers were due to play a trial against North Queensland at Campbelltown Sports Stadium, integrity unit officials told the club they were ready to deregister Simona.

They had some damning evidence.

This would include around 50 bets, including small wagers on opposition players scoring and opposition teams winning.

He had also sold more than 15 jerseys via auction and not passed on the full proceeds to charities, including Camp Quality.

The Saturday Telegraph obtained Facebook messages sent by Simona, advertising jersey auctions dating back to the start of 2015.

Simona was also “untruthful’’ during the investigations.

The centre has not been sighted at the club’s Concord training base since the February 15 trial against the Cowboys.

His contract with the Tigers is expected to be officially terminated by Monday at the latest.

Simona was earning around $350,000 a year, and collected a quarter of that amount given contracts begin annually on November 1.

The money freed up, believed to be around $200,000, will help the club become cap compliant for this season, but also allow the Tigers to bring forward any payments for the Big Four — James Tedesco, Aaron Woods, Mitch Moses and Luke Brooks — should they ink contract extensions.

Whenever there were updates on the Simona case, club officials would pull the players together.

Not once did a player publicly express their anger or disappointment.

Winger David Nofoaluma, one of Simona’s closest mates, said earlier this week: “I’ve tried to contact him, but he’s been a bit hard to reach. He’s a bit down with everything that’s going on.

“One good thing about the team this year is we try not to let anything distract us. The boys don’t want to talk about it too much because we know it’s not a positive thing, we try to block out anything that will distract us.’’

“We want to focus on winning games, we’re focused on the Panthers.’’

NRL boss Todd Greenberg on Friday stopped short of handing Simona a life ban. “Based on the evidence we’ve identified, it’s very hard to imagine Tim Simona will be registered with the NRL at any time in the future.’’

Greenberg was confident Simona acted alone, and players gambling on games was not an issue in the NRL.

He added Simona’s bets “weren’t very successful’’.

Integrity unit boss Nick Weeks said Simona did not have a good reason for betting. “He understood exactly what he was doing, he knew it was wrong and he knew the consequences,’’ he said.

“Unfortunately it has cost him very significantly.’’

The bets dated back a couple of seasons. The NRL integrity unit “received some information’’, believed to be from an ex-girlfriend, which Weeks and his team pursued.

Balmain great Steve Roach said he would find it tough to play alongside someone who had been found guilty of backing the opposition, even if they had been cleared to return.

Tigers boss Pascoe said: “We will not allow the actions of an individual player to jeopardise what this club stands for and represents.’’