What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Roosters chatter

Valheru

Coach
Great news, Cordner is made for the captaincy.

I am hoping Cordner does the on field leadership and Jake the off field i.e. Cordner talks to the refs and Jake does the post match pressers.

Poor Jake was out of his element talking to the refs last year.

Great news, Cordner is made for the captaincy.

I am hoping Cordner does the on field leadership and Jake the off field i.e. Cordner talks to the refs and Jake does the post match pressers.

Poor Jake was out of his element talking to the refs last year.

Who knows if that will be the break down, but it certainly will ease the pressure on Jake.

The article I posted the link to (se previous page of thread) gives the breakdown of the following positions within the squad -

Captains - Boyd Cordner and Jake Friend.
Vice-Captain - Jared Warea-Hargreaves.
Club captain - Mitchell Aubusson.

Nice article on Connor Watson published today by the Daily Telegraph -

Roosters rookie Connor Watson on his rise from footy fan to NRL star
NICK WALSHAW, The Daily Telegraph
March 2, 2017 5:51am

CONNOR Watson, in primary school, always arrived late on Mondays.

And why?

He had his radio gig.

A popular little spot on the Central Coast airwaves where this outgoing schoolboy — aged seven and still in Year 2 at Avoca Beach Public — would, firstly, break down the eight NRL matches for that weekend.

Then, follow up with a joke.

His bit proved so popular it spent two years squeezed among an increasing whirl of TV commitments, advertising shoots, even modelling gigs which ran front page of The Sunday Telegraph.

For this was life for Watson as a kid. One minute, Mario Fenech’s Man of the Week on The Footy Show. The next, appearing in Big W catalogues or as an extra on Home And Away.

But still, nothing beat that spot on Star FM.

“Because it meant Mondays, I always started school late,’’ he recalls, grinning. “I was stoked.

“And from there, I signed up to an acting/modelling agency. That’s how I got on The Sunday Telegraph’s front page, doing a promotion for State of Origin.

“Then a couple of months after that — or maybe it was a year later, I can’t really remember — there was a TV commercial for footy cards.

“That one was awesome, too, because we had Nathan Hindmarsh, Matty King, Justin Hodges, Petero Civoniceva ... I spent the day with all of them.”

Which makes Watson the kid destined for NRL stardom, right?

A boy not so much born for league’s bright lights, as thrust in among them.

Indeed, apart from fronting Origin and NRL advertising campaigns, this now 20-year-old Rooster also grew up two doors from Immortality.

A pair of letterboxes were all that separated his own Avoca Beach home from a holiday house owned by Sydney agent John Fordham, whose star client Andrew Johns was a regular visitor.

“And whenever I knew Joey was there, I’d always go knock on the door and ask if he could come out,’’ Watson laughs of the legend who is now guiding him as a Roosters halves consultant.

“A couple of times he did, too. We even went for a surf together.”

So again, a kid born for footballing fame, right? Certainly, that makes the easiest headline.

And yet it ignores an uneasy truth.

For Connor Watson, he isn’t supposed to be playing NRL at all.

At 176cm, he’s too small.

At 86kg, too light.

And as for the skills of this wannabe playmaker ... well, as one Roosters insider told us this week: “I’m sure plenty of Central Coast people would be asking how the bloody hell he’s the one who made it?”

So maybe we should tell them.

Explain how at the same time little Connor was doing those catalogue shoots for Big W, he was also running the backstreets of Avoca — dad Mark following in his car, a stopwatch ticking on the passenger seat beside him.

As the years increased, so did their training sessions at the local oval. Ditto appearances in the gym.

A truth proved by Watson’s current deadlifting PB of 230kg — or almost three times his body weight.

Indeed, even the tape which started this Coastie’s whirl of TV, radio and modelling gigs was based on nothing but want.

For, yes, the seven-year-old would prove such a hit when he first appeared on The Footy Show way back in 2005, he was immediately sought out by Star FM radio. Next up, TV commercials and modelling gigs, too. So popular even his grandparents were interviewed in their Dubbo newspaper, The Daily Liberal. But as for the actual tape sent to Channel 9’s studios ... well, the next Joey Johns he wasn’t.

“Every Thursday, The Footy Show used to have this segment where Mario Fenech picked his man of the week,’’ Watson recalls.

“People sent tapes of their kids playing footy and Mario, he picked the best. I remember being so keen to enter because the winner got a PlayStation ... and I didn’t have one.”

Nor, however, did the young Kincumber Colt have much of a highlights reel. And so while other parents packaged VHS footage of their sons scoring runaway tries, Jodie Watson created a compilation of her boy making bootlace tackles.

Little Connor continually turning, chasing, felling his larger rivals over and over and over.

“Because Dad, he’d always taught me that when somebody from the opposition made a break, you chased them,’’ Watson shrugs.

“So that’s what I did. As a kid I wasn’t a standout. Even when I finally made some rep teams, I was the fullback who played wing when somebody else was out.

“But I just kept telling myself that weight, size, skill, none of it would matter if I worked hard.”

Still does. And for proof, speak with those same club insiders about a kid who played himself into first grade on effort.

Unknown and unrated this time last year, Watson was the guy who competed on every play in conditioning games. A utility who, when left edge challenged right at training, would sprint to save tries and throw himself on loose balls like the Hollywood war hero does grenades.

But where would they play him? Who knew?

Head coach Trent Robinson was convinced only that he had to run this bundle of enthusiasm somewhere.

“And I’m still not sure anybody knows what my best position is,’’ says Watson, whose options include the entire backline, hooker or lock. “But I’m young, so no rush.”

Elsewhere, this Roosters utility still isn’t the fastest, fittest or strongest at Bondi Junction, either. But take the top three from any category, and he has sweated his way up among them.

So born for greatness?

No, Watson remains that fella who grew up idolising workaholic Knight Kurt Gidley. A footballer who gifted North Queensland two tries in the opening game of the 2017 Auckland Nines — throwing an intercept for one, a fumble for two — before recovering so brilliantly he was named tournament MVP.

Gifted nothing, Watson’s is a story of want. Of effort. The kid who rose to fame chasing better kids down.

If any catches the buses from the SFS to Central Station, be aware they have changed their drop off point. Instead of turning into Elizabeth Street, and then going around and dropping you in Chalmers Street right alongside Central Station, they now drop you at the last bus stop in Foveaux Street, which is about 30-50 metres from Elizabeth Street.

I and many other people found this out the hard way last night after the Bulldogs game. Looks like this has occurred to du the construction of the Sydney light rail.

Just thought some of you may find this of interest.

Valheru

Coach
Yeah that happened to me last night, wasn't sure if it was a one off. I didn't catch the bus to the game though, do they leave from the same spot?

Yeah that happened to me last night, wasn't sure if it was a one off. I didn't catch the bus to the game though, do they leave from the same spot?

Yep, left the game from the same spot, outside the SCG.I don't think it's a one off Valheru as Elizabeth Street right near Central is dotted with partial road closures where sites are being set up for construction of the light rail.

Time will tell I suppose.

Fangs

Coach
Love the juniors at the Roosters. They certainly aren't the transit lounge they used to be. Watson and Matterson are both absolute stars.

Still, I hate your shit club. Bring on round 3.

MARSHALL ZHUKOV

Juniors
He once played 5/8 for Australia - true story.

That game in 2001 still ranks as one of the best of the NRL era.

1996 game v the Bronco's was better- Monday night 34k in attendance- Junee's try to level it and then the stuff up by Andrew Gee on the tap restart for Cleary to kick the winning penalty goal(12-10) - Rugby League at it's best as Rabs described it- I remember the night also as the pick the margins went off - 1.3 mill or so - only 3 live tickets left for this last game of the round - one had Roosters 1 to 12 / one a draw/ and one Bronco's 1 to 12- Hopefully a Chookie fan won it

From today's Daily Telegraph -

How fishing with his father has rested Rooster Latrell Mitchell primed for redemption
MATT LOGUE, The Daily Telegraph
April 17, 2017 11:58pm

TO understand why Latrell Mitchell will never give up his NRL dream — you have to speak to his father Matt.

The former first grade hopeful, now living in Taree, who had his promising rugby league career at South Sydney cut short due to homesickness.

It’s a real life story that drives Latrell to reach the game’s greatest heights and make his dad proud.

This determined drive was rammed home over the Easter break when Latrell spent two days fishing with his father back home in Taree on the NSW mid-north coast.

According to Mitchell senior, the quality time has his son refreshed, refocused and ready to redeem himself in the traditional Anzac Day clash against the table-topping Dragons.

“I just had to get Latrell away from the city and all the noise,” Mitchell senior told The Daily Telegraph.

“Anyone that knows him knows he wants to do the best he can and he doesn’t want to let anyone down.

“He is competitive and wants to play every game, but I told him there will be times when the coach might sit you out one week.

0263643d09fc435515ad6edd1f5eba58

Mitchell with dad Matt before the 2014 Australia schoolboys tour.
“I brought him home after training on Tuesday and then Robbo gave him permission to come up for a couple of days after Friday’s game. He is just a real laid-back kid, so we went fishing together.

“We have an annual event up here called the mullet run, where the mullet hit the sea and a lot of community members go out and we get to hang out with the elders and tell stories. It is just part of our culture and we have competitions fishing against each other.”

Mitchell senior says this time around family and friends has given Latrell invaluable perspective.

Sure he is disappointed to be rested, but he knows it isn’t the end of the world. It’s a positive attitude that makes Mitchell senior confident Latrell won’t fall into the same trap he did during his playing days at Souths.

“I never wanted my boys to play rugby league, because the Super League war stuffed my career,” he said.

“Plus, I stuffed myself up. I had no support down there in Sydney and no family, so I’m so proud of Latrell. He is so competitive and deserves everything he gets.”

In fact, Latrell is so competitive he regularly tries to beat his 43-year-old father at whatever he can.

“But he still hasn’t beaten me over 40 metres yet,” he smirked.

“I’ve got to get that one back, because his mother called it off because she was afraid someone would pull a hamstring.

“Latrell is just passionate and I know he is really passionate about the Roosters.”

Mitchell senior says Latrell is so focused on succeeding he often puts the team before his own health. This was on display against Manly in round 5 when he was sick and missed a match-saving tackle on Sea Eagles centre Dylan Walker in the closing seconds.

“Latrell had food poisoning,” Mitchell senior revealed.

“He defrosted some chicken and left it in the fridge for two days, then decided to cook it up on game day. But he didn’t tell anyone he had food poisoning.

“I told him he has to let someone know. He shouldn’t have played that day because he was crook. He got blasted after the game because Walker scored the winning try.”

Mitchell senior has no doubts the Roosters is the perfect club for his son to succeed. He reserved particular praise for coach Trent Robinson, who he rates highly as a mentor and person.

“Robbo is a very good coach and he knows what he is doing,” he said. “We just leave everything up to him, because he has got a plan for Latrell.

“He knows he has to work on a lot of things and we sit down and talk about a lot of things. I watch his games and I let him know how he went, because he calls me asking for my advice.

“His mother and I are his biggest critics and I just told him to keep working on the little things, even when everyone else has finished training.”

Latrell’s rise from Taree to the Roosters is even more remarkable when you consider his upbringing.

As Mitchell senior attests, the family were never flush with money and even basics like attending football matches was often a battle.

“You know, Latrell didn’t have an easy life growing up,” he said. “I mean, we struggled big time. A lot of time his mother and I couldn’t go to the games because we didn’t have a car at one stage.

“It was also my stupidity. I was just being silly and I was bouncing in between jobs at the time. I couldn’t hold down a fulltime job and I’d busted my knee, so I couldn’t play football anymore and afford to buy a car.

“Latrell remembers all of that and it’s one thing that really motivates him.”

A day rarely passes when Mitchell senior doesn’t miss his fishing mate. Luckily, he doesn’t have to search too far to be reminded of Latrell and his rapid rise at the Roosters.

“We’ve got Latrell’s debut jersey against Souths from last year framed right above my bed,” he smiled. “So I can see it all the time — I’m over the moon for my boy.”

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
:chicken: "Bok. Bok bok bawk bok beeark"

:hatched_chick: "burk. Burk bok bok bok blark"

:chicken: "Bok bok bok?"

:hatched_chick: "blurk bok"

:chicken: "bawk.. bawk bok! Bok burk?"

:hatched_chick: "bearck. Bok bok bok"

Valheru

Coach
Not a great result but could be worse as well. There are 8 rounds to go, one of which is a bye for us. Hopefully it is more like 6 weeks and he gets a game or 2 in prior to the finals.

Looks like it will be sink or swim for young Connor. I don't think we lose anything at all in attack with Connor there, defence is the issue and of course goal kicking.

Headless Chook

Juniors
Better hope we score all our tries under the posts.

Is SST back next game? Hope he's been getting re-acquainted with kicking tee. Aside from Tauks do we have any other realistic options? Latrell?

Tommy Smith

Referee
If Latrell was kicking at AFL posts he wouldn't even register a behind with half his conversion attempts.

So hopefully SST is ready to go.

Meanwhile Jake Friend has broken his hand at training and will miss 4-6 weeks.

Injuries are killing our season at the wrong time just like in 2015.

Valheru

Coach
It is not quite as dire as 2015 IMO, it has happened 6 weeks earlier than 2015 and both players should be back at the business end.

Injuries are just part of a long season and if the team is serious, they just need to get on with things, win our fair share of the last 7 matches and sneak in to that top 4 with (hopefully) a healthy squad come finals week 1.

Lambretta

First Grade
Man, the injuries to Gordon and Friend are cruel and come at the wrong time

Friend we can cover and if he's back in 4 weeks it may be a good thing as he'll be rested
But losing Gordon is going to hurt us - especially as Connor Watson is likely going to play dummy half and we don't have a recognised kicker

Latest posts