What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future spine

cb4

First Grade
So with both Lachlan Coote and Taumololo being off contract this year one being a fullback and the other being a lock...who commands and gets the bigger contract?
Comparing the worst fullback in the game to the best forward in the game. At least make it comparable.
Why not Jt v Jt

cb4

First Grade
On form Bird gets 500K max, hahahahahha righto.

Dreaming much.
On current form, what should he be commanding?
He hasn't scored a try since round 21 last year, and on the weekend that was his first try assist since round 20.

To add to that, he hasn't lit the world up defensively and made a standard 130m from fullback.

So on what grounds can he command big dollars?

cb4

First Grade
Nah....directed at CB4....while i respect his opinions and insight i feel that his automatic assumption that a spine player is always worth more than any other position is not always the case.

The assumption in the modern market is Spine players win you games. That is a fact mate.
It is the reason Ben Hunt got paid in this climate despite having less ability than James Maloney.
Trent Hodkinson is north of 800k.
In the days of you Gasniers and Coopers, centres were the craze, but as the game has evolved, your halves, regardless of what is thought of them by the fans will get money.

A half that can kick a ball will always be able to ask for more coin that most players.

Fine...wouldn't be much in it between those two imo - especially at the respective stages of their carers.

Thurston. No contest.

MilkShark

First Grade
On current form, what should he be commanding?
He hasn't scored a try since round 21 last year, and on the weekend that was his first try assist since round 20.

To add to that, he hasn't lit the world up defensively and made a standard 130m from fullback.

So on what grounds can he command big dollars?
What would I give Bird? I think he is worth what he is asking. The competition lacks alot of talent, this guy has talent in abundance.

Bird played amazing at fullback last week, a position he was thrown into and hasn't been training at.

It's really hard to compare a 21 year rep player who can cover multiple positions and could turn into an absolute superstar against a 26 year stock standard half back who will never play rep football and is already half way through his career.

On current, form what does Chad command?

He hasn't done anything since the grand final in which he also did nothing notable. And before that he was pulled from the field against the Raiders and replaced with Bird.

Last edited:

Ads

First Grade
Let Chad go and give that big money to Ash Taylor. He is already better and will be a long term gun.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Don't know that Hodkinson (Knights) and Hunt (Dragons) are true examples of correct market worth as they were both paid overs by desperate clubs. That is where a big part of this problem is coming from....the fact that the Goons in their wisdom paid 1.2 million for Hunt who is at best a middle of the road halfback.

MilkShark

First Grade
The assumption in the modern market is Spine players win you games. That is a fact mate.
It is the reason Ben Hunt got paid in this climate despite having less ability than James Maloney.
Chad wont win you a game, Bird will.

Hunt got paid so much because Dragons are desperate.

cb4

First Grade
Chad wont win you a game, Bird will.

Hunt got paid so much because Dragons are desperate.
I don't consider either of them match winners really.
Maloney, Thurston, Milford, Cronk, Smith - Those guys are match winners.

The Dragons may have been desperate, but they shelled money on a guy who has 20+ try assists 3 seasons running and one of the best long kicking games in the comp.

MilkShark

First Grade
I don't consider either of them match winners really.
Maloney, Thurston, Milford, Cronk, Smith - Those guys are match winners.

The Dragons may have been desperate, but they shelled money on a guy who has 20+ try assists 3 seasons running and one of the best long kicking games in the comp.
My point is, if we needed points, I would be going to Bird for them. He has the ability to make something out of nothing.

Hunt is a better player than Chad, still not worth what Dragons paid but.

cb4

First Grade
What would I give Bird? I think he is worth what he is asking. The competition lacks alot of talent, this guy has talent in abundance.

I wouldn't be giving him 10% of our cap. He is a natural footballer yes, but in terms of talent there are a lot better than him.
I honestly believe if he was a Dragons player we wouldn't hype him at all.

Bird played amazing at fullback last week, a position he was thrown into and hasn't been training at.

Bird trained there in the pre-season, all of last pre-season and all of the week leading into the game.
He went well, but he wasn't amazing.
Jack Wighton had a better game than him.

It's really hard to compare a 21 year rep player who can cover multiple positions and could turn into an absolute superstar against a 26 year stock standard half back who will never play rep football and is already half way through his career.

He can play a few positions, but not really excel in them.
1 game at fullback that was decent.
Not really a stand out centre.
A half with no kicking game.

On current, form what does Chad command?

He hasn't done anything since the grand final in which he also did nothing notable. And before that he was pulled from the field against the Raiders and replaced with Bird.

Chad's manager made a tongue in cheek comment about him getting 1.2mil and everyone ran for it as gospel.
Halve it, and that is what Chad is worth.

MilkShark

First Grade
I'd be hyping any 20 year old playing origin thank you.
Holmes has been training as the fullback, sure maybe Bird did a little too but but Holmes was always the fullback. I disagree that Wighton played better than Bird. Scoring a try doesn't mean you played better.
I think its fair to say no one really knows where Bird is best suited, and that's his advantage. And Chad for a half has a pretty shocking kicking game, I reckon Bird could match him.

I think the only thing we are going to agree on here is that Chad is work half of the speculated 1.2 mill.

cb4

First Grade
Agree with most of that, but, in what avenue did Bird play better than Wighton?
Thats a head scratcher.

MilkShark

First Grade
Bird was everywhere the whole night. He looks dangerous every time he had the ball.

I remember Wighton scoring but that's all. Not being biased but I honestly can't remember anything much that Wighton did.

Bird was everywhere the whole night. He looks dangerous every time he had the ball.

I remember Wighton scoring but that's all. Not being biased but I honestly can't remember anything much that Wighton did.
To be honest Milk. Wighton played one of his better games IMO. I though he was probably their best on park.

cb4

First Grade
Harsh marker.
Scored 2 tries, threw Bird off for his second.
Made more meters than anyone on the field.
Broke more tackles than any back on the field.
Was the bast 1-5 on the field in a losing side.