What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Other NRL matches thread

doyen

Bench
Looks like Munster has a broken jaw!

When are players going to learn to tackle??

Oates is running the ball out from his line----there's no need to go high in that situation.

He had a target from ankles to chest to stop Oates.

Ron Coote would have hit him around the ankles & dropped him like a bag of shite!!! And shaken him up a lot more!!!!

Travitoh

First Grade
Looks like Munster has a broken jaw!

When are players going to learn to tackle??

Oates is running the ball out from his line----there's no need to go high in that situation.

He had a target from ankles to chest to stop Oates.

Ron Coote would have hit him around the ankles & dropped him like a bag of shite!!! And shaken him up a lot more!!!!

You're not wrong. I understand the need to wrap up the footy and prevent an offload but nobody goes low anymore.
Nothing frustrates me more than seeing a kick chase almost trap the full back in goal, only to see him escape with the ball after every chaser goes high one on one. Guys like Tedesco, Trbojovic, Munster etc are to strong and will shrug one on ones majority of the time. Take the legs and suddenly they can't run. It's simple under age football!

Rabbits20

Immortal
McQueen just had the winger unmarked. Shame he did not pass.

I guess it's a bit tougher for him making decisions at centre but he's still got some pretty solid pace. A good 35metre run there!!!!!!

McQueen has been good in defence so far too.

McQueen is greater than Turner at centre!!!!!

doyen

Bench
The final issue of RLW will come out next week.

It has been an institution for RL for many years.

It will be a collector's edition with a history of events since its inception.

I thought a story on Nathan BROWN in this week's penultimate edition was interesting.
He said he left Sths as he felt his natural instincts to be an attacking,ball-playing forward were stifled by Maguire.He was basically told to just play safe,no-risk football.He came through the Jnrs as a 5/8 so his instinct is to be a ball-player. Arthur is encouraging this instinct.

McInnes too appears to be coming out of his shell at Saints even presenting a clever kicking game. Sts are over the moon with Cam!!

Rabbits20

Immortal

I thought a story on Nathan BROWN in this week's penultimate edition was interesting.
He said he left Sths as he felt his natural instincts to be an attacking,ball-playing forward were stifled by Maguire.He was basically told to just play safe,no-risk football.He came through the Jnrs as a 5/8 so his instinct is to be a ball-player. Arthur is encouraging this instinct.

McInnes too appears to be coming out of his shell at Saints even presenting a clever kicking game. Sts are over the moon with Cam!!
McTurtle still doesn't have any running game really.

He's a defensive hooker which didn't suit us!!!!!!!!

I wish we signed Paul Vaughan.

callmack1

Staff member

It's very sad for sure. I've been buying RLW for years as it's the only League mag availible in NZ. Although the standard of it has dropped off in the last couple of years, it was still great and I enjoy going down to my local supermarket every Thursday to pick a copy up. It had some truely great articles and "The Mole" always provided scoops that you wouldn't find anywhere else. I don't know where I'm going to get a poster of our team photo now.

It will be sorely missed.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I think there's a time and place for low and high tackling. The problem is you really don't want to low tackle close to the line. There was a perfect example of it in Canberra vs tigers where bloody junior Paulo was running at Mitchell Moses hahaha. Like how on earth is Moses supposed to stop paulo on his own try line? These smaller players do need covering from their second rowers which they fail to get a lot of the time because of laziness. Tedesco has an awesome low tackling strategy though but he never tackles low close to the line cause he knows that's practically letting the team score. You have to get your body in the way which is unfortunate but it's how you have to be.

DiegoNT

First Grade
About the Munster broken jaw, there is absolutely no reward for tackling low, in fact you are punished. If munster had tackled low on pates 1 of 3 things would have happened
1. Munster chops him down low, another player goes to help, 2nd player is penalised for a flop
2. Munster chops him low, doesn't realise in a split second after the player hits the ground, penalty for 'holding down'
3. Munster let's go quick enough, oates gets a quick play the ball, Melbourne defend of the backfoot for the rest of the set.

There's no reward for a low tackle. You leave yourself open for off loads. But more importantly the quicker you bring a guy down, the quicker he can play the ball, if he can play the ball before the defensive line has got back ten then the attacking team can create all kinds of havoc

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
About the Munster broken jaw, there is absolutely no reward for tackling low, in fact you are punished. If munster had tackled low on pates 1 of 3 things would have happened
1. Munster chops him down low, another player goes to help, 2nd player is penalised for a flop
2. Munster chops him low, doesn't realise in a split second after the player hits the ground, penalty for 'holding down'
3. Munster let's go quick enough, oates gets a quick play the ball, Melbourne defend of the backfoot for the rest of the set.

There's no reward for a low tackle. You leave yourself open for off loads. But more importantly the quicker you bring a guy down, the quicker he can play the ball, if he can play the ball before the defensive line has got back ten then the attacking team can create all kinds of havoc

I think you're looking at it pretty negatively. If a forward is running at you full pelt. If you grab the around the ankles/shin area they'll go down fast. You don't even need both legs you can grab one. If he gets the offload whilst his falling then that's a pretty nice piece of skill displayed that few front rowers can do. If that's a penalty then the game needs to change. Tackling high though is better if they're just trying to get out of their own line. I don't know who taught Tedesco to tackle but I love his tackling style.

Latest posts