What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels vs Titans Game Day Thread

Gronk

Staff member
Tyler Cornish to be thrust into NRL spotlight for Titans against Parramatta

TYLER Cornish is the Gold Coast’s $3000 replacement for million dollar man Jarryd Hayne.

Cornish, 22, will be thrust into his NRL debut in place of the injured Hayne against Parramatta at Cbus Super Stadium on Friday night.

One of the NRL’s most marketable faces, Hayne signed a $2.4 million deal with the Titans late last season after returning from a stint in the NFL.

He has been sidelined for at least a month by an ankle injury and coach Neil Henry has thrown the No.1 jersey to Cornish.

388fee78418df2a0481d0368abf12933

Tyler Cornish has a huge chance to impress. Photo: Mike Batterham
Cornish, who spent last season with Sydney Roosters feeder club Wyong, signed with the Burleigh Bears for the 2017 Intrust Super Cup season and was offered a six-week pre-season training stint with the Titans as an incentive.

Cornish impressed Henry and was given a six-week extension with the Titans, earning less than $1000 a week. He is not even listed on the club’s website.

While Hayne’s salary equates to about $40,000 a game, Cornish will pocket a $3000 match payment for his efforts against the Eels.

“He just needs to get out there and soak up the experience,” Henry said.

“Tyler’s trained at fullback for a significant part of the pre-season with Jarryd being out with his knee. He’s used to that role at training. It’s different on the big stage. He’s got a good game sense.

“We saw in the (Auckland) Nines he’s fairly sharp on his feet. He got a couple of line breaks there and scored a nice try. He’ll need to bring that and be safe under the (high) ball. It’s a tough job.’’

Cornish spent the pre-season training between the halves and fullback. He showed glimpses of his potential at the Nines and Titans co-captain Ryan James said Cornish could surprise people.

“He’s not the biggest player but he’s quick and has got a step,” James said.

“He seems to be a very humble bloke. He is a hard worker. He was always at the front at pre-season training.

“He’s more of a halfback but he can get the job done. I believe he will be great for us.”

The Titans are desperate for a win after disappointing losses to the Roosters and Knights to start the season.

Henry put the onus on the club’s experienced players to stand up given the injury struggles the Titans are facing.

“It’s up to our other guys to do their job and lift and not expect the young guys are going to carry the team,” Henry said.

“We’ve got enough experience on the park. There is enough footballers out there that have played a lot of first grade.

“We need everyone to step up. Last week it was some of our more experienced guys that really didn’t aim up defensively. We need to address that.’’

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...a/news-story/246c651ef0ae388ab3b608dcd68eebc3

forward pass

Coach
The Tits asked for special exemption and the NRL's official response was yeah, nah.

Have you noticed when Corey Norman is interviewed after games he starts his answer to EVERY question with "yeah nah". Had my family in stitches last week !

Incorrect

Coach
So apparently if Parra win tonight it will be the first time we've started a season 3 and 0 since 1993... Out of interest I went back and had a look at the 1993 season and we won our 3rd game of the season V the Boncos in Brisbane... If the game was played in the current climate with betting and match fixing undertones and innuendo then this match would have had alarm bells ringing loud and clear!!! Take a look at the lineups

Brisbane
Julian O'Neill
Michael Hancock
Steve Renouf
Chris Johns
Willie Carne
Kevin Walters
Allan langer
Glenn Lazarus
Kerrod Walters
Mark Hohn
Trevor Gillmeister
Alan Cann
Terry Matterson

Peter Ryan
John Plath
Butch Fatnowna

Eels
Scott Mahon
Michel Ericson
Robert Muchmore
Michael Buettener
Joe Bartolo
Michael Speechly
Stu Galbraith
Paul Dunn
Shane Flanagan
John Fearnley
Cameron Blair
Dallas Weston
Mark Horo

Tulsen Tollett
Darren Winmill
David Penna

Wow Rabbits.... Wow!

84 Baby

Referee
So apparently if Parra win tonight it will be the first time we've started a season 3 and 0 since 1993... Out of interest I went back and had a look at the 1993 season and we won our 3rd game of the season V the Boncos in Brisbane... If the game was played in the current climate with betting and match fixing undertones and innuendo then this match would have had alarm bells ringing loud and clear!!! Take a look at the lineups

Brisbane
Julian O'Neill
Michael Hancock
Steve Renouf
Chris Johns
Willie Carne
Kevin Walters
Allan langer
Glenn Lazarus
Kerrod Walters
Mark Hohn
Trevor Gillmeister
Alan Cann
Terry Matterson

Peter Ryan
John Plath
Butch Fatnowna

Eels
Scott Mahon
Michel Ericson
Robert Muchmore
Michael Buettener
Joe Bartolo
Michael Speechly
Stu Galbraith
Paul Dunn
Shane Flanagan
John Fearnley
Cameron Blair
Dallas Weston
Mark Horo

Tulsen Tollett
Darren Winmill
David Penna

Wow Rabbits.... Wow!
Yeah I'd say that's our strongest looking lineup between 93 and now. Maybe even further years. I'd daresay since 73 until well into the future

84 Baby

Referee
Possibly if 5 of your 21 drop dead .... even then, touch n go
I reckon NRL read my post the other day about him being under done and new to team and realised it would have been a benefit to us so denied the Tits

Incorrect

Coach
Butch to merkins: I played NRL for the Broncos in the '90s

Merkins: LOL sure you did.
Or, alternate response from Merkins

"Yeah we remember - you played in that game when we lost to that Parra side containing Galbraith, Muchmore, Tollett and Winmill in it you spastic!!! LOL"

Latest posts