What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks fellas

SBD82

Coach
I guess we'll have to see the dragons position on the ladder at the end of the year to understand if McInnes was a great acquisition for you guys considering the spine players are the most important players in the team. You guys have a much better performing forward pack than what we had last year also so I hope he goes well but it's only been 2 games sir!
You're right about the spine being very important, but I think it's too simplistic to say that the final position on the table is a gauge of each spine players contribution.

Our spine has several issues. Don't forget that McCrone is our first option at 7.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
You're right about the spine being very important, but I think it's too simplistic to say that the final position on the table is a gauge of each spine players contribution.

Our spine has several issues. Don't forget that McCrone is our first option at 7.

The problem is though that if your not seeing results the core problem is usually the spine. The spine players are the players who will take the result the most personally out of any other players because they know that they are fundamental to a teams good wins and bad losses. bellamy knows this which is why he has consistently built the team around his core spine players. You compare teams like Newcastle and manly's spine to teams like broncos, cowboys, sharks 2016 spine you're gonna see a significant improvement in the top teams. Ive always seen McInnes as a lock not a hooker but I would like to see him evolve into a NSW hooker if he gets the chance. He has no kicking game though which if he builds on could turn him into a great player. But Yeah your number 7 is a big issue but then again I rate McCrone more than I rate some players. I definitely think he is a step up from Marshall and I think you could've done a lot worse. hopefully jai field can get comfortable with first grade as a utility because he may need to start as a 7 sooner rather than later.

SBD82

Coach
The problem is though that if your not seeing results the core problem is usually the spine. The spine players are the players who will take the result the most personally out of any other players because they know that they are fundamental to a teams good wins and bad losses. bellamy knows this which is why he has consistently built the team around his core spine players. You compare teams like Newcastle and manly's spine to teams like broncos, cowboys, sharks 2016 spine you're gonna see a significant improvement in the top teams. Ive always seen McInnes as a lock not a hooker but I would like to see him evolve into a NSW hooker if he gets the chance. He has no kicking game though which if he builds on could turn him into a great player. But Yeah your number 7 is a big issue but then again I rate McCrone more than I rate some players. I definitely think he is a step up from Marshall and I think you could've done a lot worse. hopefully jai field can get comfortable with first grade as a utility because he may need to start as a 7 sooner rather than later.
I understand that about the spine. On paper our spine should go well this year, but the biggest factor will be Mary's ability to tailor a game plan to their strengths.

Which raises the question, how did McGuire not tailor his game plan to mcinness' obvious strengths at 9?

Field is an exciting prospect, but he seems more like a 6 or 1 than a 7. You could play him at 7 if widdop was more of an organiser, but he's not. We do seem to be treading water a little this year while we wait for hunt.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I understand that about the spine. On paper our spine should go well this year, but the biggest factor will be Mary's ability to tailor a game plan to their strengths.

Which raises the question, how did McGuire not tailor his game plan to mcinness' obvious strengths at 9?

Field is an exciting prospect, but he seems more like a 6 or 1 than a 7. You could play him at 7 if widdop was more of an organiser, but he's not. We do seem to be treading water a little this year while we wait for hunt.

You could argue that but I mean if we tailor the playstyle that won us the comp in 2014 to one players playstyle then it's a bit silly isn't it? Especially if they're replaceable with a player like cook. 2016 was a disaster for us with our forward pack playing like a bunch of pansies which was NOT McInnes fault. If dragons can make McInnes work then that'll be fantastic but honestly McInnes hasn't really showed anything to suggest he will be any better than Mitch Rein who was kicked to the curb pretty quickly. They're both stars that just need to be nurtured/coached properly. I believe McInnes would shine playing under a coach like Bellamy or Robinson. It just depends on how patient you dragons fans are, hey?

Yeah hunts arrival will be great news for you guys though. You have a real superstar coming your way. I guess the last question you have to ask is whether it's gonna be widdop or field? I don't like people saying he's too small to play though I think that's just ridiculous you've gotta give him a chance first.

SBD82

Coach
You could argue that but I mean if we tailor the playstyle that won us the comp in 2014 to one players playstyle then it's a bit silly isn't it? Especially if they're replaceable with a player like cook. 2016 was a disaster for us with our forward pack playing like a bunch of pansies which was NOT McInnes fault. If dragons can make McInnes work then that'll be fantastic but honestly McInnes hasn't really showed anything to suggest he will be any better than Mitch Rein who was kicked to the curb pretty quickly. They're both stars that just need to be nurtured/coached properly. I believe McInnes would shine playing under a coach like Bellamy or Robinson. It just depends on how patient you dragons fans are, hey?

Yeah hunts arrival will be great news for you guys though. You have a real superstar coming your way. I guess the last question you have to ask is whether it's gonna be widdop or field? I don't like people saying he's too small to play though I think that's just ridiculous you've gotta give him a chance first.
I guess what would be disappointing for me would be that Madge didn't have the ability to integrate McInnes' skills. You guys are going to wait a long one before you get a player of Isaac luke 2014 calibre in the 9, so your game plan at least needs tinkering.

The immediate difference with our side with McInnes versus rein is the service put forwards and halves are getting. They have a whole lot more time and are hitting the line with impact. See JDB's form this year. Also his first contact in tackles is good. He's a strong bugger. Rein got through a lot of tackles but a lot were ineffective.

Club management put out a statement last week which effectively said that they see field as a Lockyer type player: early career at fullback then to 5/8.

Rabbits20

Immortal
He told me he was going to come to souths until he heard that McInnes was moving on.

Said that he didn't want to have to spend his career running onto Wobbies shitty passes.
Nice one!!!!!!!

I personally prefer Robbie to Cam though.

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
lol@stmerge with 1 premiership only thats 20 premierships behind the pride of the league souths whom have won 21 premierships and we marched and you merged so who is the stupid one lol@stmerge fans are you a saints or an illawarra steelers fan? the mind boggles lol.....Shadow...

Last edited:

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I guess what would be disappointing for me would be that Madge didn't have the ability to integrate McInnes' skills. You guys are going to wait a long one before you get a player of Isaac luke 2014 calibre in the 9, so your game plan at least needs tinkering.

The immediate difference with our side with McInnes versus rein is the service put forwards and halves are getting. They have a whole lot more time and are hitting the line with impact. See JDB's form this year. Also his first contact in tackles is good. He's a strong bugger. Rein got through a lot of tackles but a lot were ineffective.

Club management put out a statement last week which effectively said that they see field as a Lockyer type player: early career at fullback then to 5/8.

I've gotta give it to him though he has improved over the pre season. He is playing out of his skin for st George. Maybe it was Maguire. I'm happy for any Souths player to do well. Except for grevsmuhl...

SBD82

Coach
lol@stmerge with 1 premiership only thats 20 premierships behind the pride of the league souths whom have won 21 premierships and we marched and you merged so who is the stupid one lol@stmerge fans are you a saints or an illawarra steelers fan? the mind boggles lol.....Shadow...
I marched for your club too you walking pro-choice campaign.

I was a proud steelers fan and I am now a proud dragons fan.

Do you prefer it when R20 treats you gently? Or when he destroys you and leaves you sore for days? The mind boggles lol... SBD...

SBD82

Coach
I've gotta give it to him though he has improved over the pre season. He is playing out of his skin for st George. Maybe it was Maguire. I'm happy for any Souths player to do well. Except for grevsmuhl...
Ha. Everyone has one.

Yeah. He's going great for us. Even showed us the beginnings of a short kicking game on the weekend. Easily the best 9 we have seen in 6 years.