What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason Taylor

blacksafake

First Grade
Old Kogarah Boy
Don't know about McGuire but spot on about Brian Smith. As a James Cook High boy I know he's a genuine first class prick first hand, and saw it reflected when he coached Saints, followed by the inevitable mass exodus of players when they grew tired of his arrogance and bullshit. Same results at every other club he coached. Did he ever manage to complete any contract he had ?
He is a Major Prick.
I'd rather McAnchor, Young or Hornby over this Prick - and that's saying something.
A BIG NO to Brian Smith.
Did I mention he is a Prick?
So ALSGI
Tell us what you really think of Smith :joy:

rasaint

Juniors
I don't want Jason Taylor at the Dragons. Happy to see a new coach at the Dragons.

I just make a point that Ivan Cleary who gets many mentions here as possible. Replacement for Mary has a win percent of 49% / Mary 48% / Wayne Bennent 45% with Newcastle but 62% overall / Flano at 51%. after 7 years with Sharkies.

Taylor when he 1st coached had a strong eels squad 63% wins and now overall 44%.

I come back to what I have always said; you need the 'cattle'. The great Jack Gibson had a win % of 43% when 3 years at Sharkies. His roster wasn't strong and he lost Steve Rogers to a busted jaw in the 1st season of coaching there and publicly stated that he lost the pivotal player. Steve never really came back to his best after that very serious injury.

The point is that a small margin of single digit % separate most coaches in NRL. The great coaches also have the great players

thebigredv

First Grade
I hope Ivan Cleary hasn't been snaffled by the Tigers. Would love Cleary at the Dragons. If Taylor's sacking is one more reason for Doust to resign McGregor (after a couple of wins) then this is really, really bad news for us.

I would love to know that the Dragons are seeking out a quality coach in the background but it doesn't feel like it.

For the 15,029th time, we need a proper coach.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I hope Ivan Cleary hasn't been snaffled by the Tigers. Would love Cleary at the Dragons. If Taylor's sacking is one more reason for Doust to resign McGregor (after a couple of wins) then this is really, really bad news for us.

I would love to know that the Dragons are seeking out a quality coach in the background but it doesn't feel like it.

For the 15,029th time, we need a proper coach.

For the 15,030 time, Cleary has already rejected the Dragons.

Hasler ain't coming either.

After today's developments, I strongly suspect Paul McGregor will be frustrating the hell out of us post 2017, and well into the future.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Unfortunately I think Saint JimmyG is right......the Mary Bus will keep on rolling along 2017 and beyond. The club simply created a smoke screen with the special advisory consultancy group (Coyne & Co) Deflected and Disbursed the blame and then hoped things would turn around. Self preservation and saving face and arse is alive and well.

mxlegend99

Referee
Your coach might suck. But you have belted the living shit out of 2 of last years better teams.

Sharks obviously the defending premiers. Panthers not in that class but they had a side talked up as premiership favorites and you destroyed them.

Hard to see Mary getting sacked anytime soon after some impressive wins.

BennyV

Referee
Your coach might suck. But you have belted the living shit out of 2 of last years better teams.

Sharks obviously the defending premiers. Panthers not in that class but they had a side talked up as premiership favorites and you destroyed them.

Hard to see Mary getting sacked anytime soon after some impressive wins.
It's not Mary getting sacked that is the aim at this point. It's ensuring he doesnt get extended.

2017 for us smells like 2015. We will grind out some wins on the back of a motivated and impressive forward pack, but the coaches poor selections, abysmal use of the bench and near non-existent attacking strategy will mean that we cant match it against the sides with the smart coaches (see Parramatta game). Soon enough, opposition will figure out how to match our forwards and beat us out wide (with our poor edge defence and up-an-in style easily exploited) and the confidence/motivation will drop. Then we limp through the back end of the season and MAYBE scrape into the 8.

If Mary is re-signed, rinse and repeat for 2018 onwards.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Yet another prediction
You will have to do so many nudey runs you better put a thermal blanket in your kit bag.
What is your success rate

Ot
I reckon mickey must save a lot on clothes because if he had to do a nudey run every time he got it wrong.
He would only have clothes on once a month.

Last edited:

since77

Juniors
2017 for us smells like 2015. We will grind out some wins on the back of a motivated and impressive forward pack, but the coaches poor selections, abysmal use of the bench and near non-existent attacking strategy will mean that we cant match it against the sides with the smart coaches (see Parramatta game).
If Mary is re-signed, rinse and repeat for 2018 onwards.

Exactly right. I'm as pleased as any fan to see the guys grind out a tough win on the weekend. But the club is still just treading water whilst ever Mc Gregor is the coach. We might be able to finish high enough to finish 7th or 8th and be cannon fodder for week one of the finals once every 2 or 3 years, but that's as good as it will ever get.

denis preston

First Grade
Exactly right. I'm as pleased as any fan to see the guys grind out a tough win on the weekend. But the club is still just treading water whilst ever Mc Gregor is the coach. We might be able to finish high enough to finish 7th or 8th and be cannon fodder for week one of the finals once every 2 or 3 years, but that's as good as it will ever get.

This and Benny's are spot on. Accepting mediocrity as a measure of success to keep all the gang in employment in their own little cartel and feed the fans some scraps. We need a cleanout.

thebigredv

First Grade
For the 15,030 time, Cleary has already rejected the Dragons.

Hasler ain't coming either.

After today's developments, I strongly suspect Paul McGregor will be frustrating the hell out of us post 2017, and well into the future.
From memory there was never any evidence Cleary rejected us. That was just rumoured talk.

Latest posts