What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad start to 2017

___

Juniors
Just had a look at your draw up to Origin time

IMO

Rd3 Warriors - W
Rd4 Manly - W
Rd5 Broncos - L
Rd6 Knights - W
Rd7 Rabbits - W
Rd8 Tigers - W
Rd9 Raiders - L
Rd10 Cowboys - L
Rd11 Roosters - L

Some of those will be hit & miss, but I have you guys at a 50% win rate by that time

How would everyone feel about that?
If that does eventuate, given how shit we are, I would be ok with it. But the main thing is all the ones that you've pointed out as losses are against the big named teams. If we can't beat any of them, then we won't be around in September.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I would like that, however carrying over from last year, we have lost 6 straight games - our last win was in August. Feels like very long ago.
What utter rubbish, last year's games hold no relevance this year.

And for what it's worth (also games with no relevance), we beat Melbourne in a trial match, and played some pretty good footy, if you watched.

___

Juniors
What utter rubbish, last year's games hold no relevance this year.

And for what it's worth (also games with no relevance), we beat Melbourne in a trial match, and played some pretty good footy, if you watched.
They hold no relevance to this year even though the majority of the team is the same?

And regarding the trial match, comparing them to an actual NRL game is a joke. The intensity is nowhere near the same, teams/fans couldn't care less at who wins, and Cooper Cronk and Cam Smith only played 1 half each.

Timmah

Staff member
I didn't compare them to an actual NRL game.

Either way I can't help you if you can't see the difference between the end of last season and the start of this one.

Yes, wins and losses are what matter, sure - but there has been a change in the playing style. Execution still isn't 100% and we aren't up to the standard of the top teams, but we're not terrible either and will be competitive this year.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Cronulla lost 2 of there first 3 when winning the comp in 2016
Nth Qld lost all of their first 3 when winning the comp in 2015
Souths lost 3 of their first 4 when winning the comp in 2014

So a good start isn't always required. It can take a bit for combos to form. It would be nicer if we were winning while that is happening, but it can take time.

Barkley

Bench
Some of those will be hit & miss, but I have you guys at a 50% win rate by that time

How would everyone feel about that?

A 50% win rate for the year is my prediction. Once we iron out the kinks we will finish up around 7 or 8 on the ladder IMO. I don't think this roster can seriously compete for the title. We are still lacking in a lot of key areas.

1. We need a decent fullback. Hopefully that is Abbey. Hoppa can shift to the centres or wing.
2. Hooker. Lichaa has been more active but I don't think he has what it takes. I would like to see Reynolds in there.
3. Halfback. Mbye cannot run our offence or control a game with goods kicks. He is a better 5/8 IMO.
4. Goal Kicking. We really lack in this area. Holland is ok and Mbye is garbage.

Until we can improve these areas, I don't see us being anything more than middle of the pack.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Well the rumour popping up is that Reynolds has been told he is unwanted at the club. Not suprising really, given Mbye is contracted past this year, and having two 5/8ths running the show doesn't work. Which means that the other rumour regarding Luke Brooks coming to the dogs has some merit. Though it would be nice if we could get Foran.

Not sure what club would suit Reynolds if he left. At best it would be someone like Melbourne with a dominate half back. Reynolds has a style that really doesn't suit many clubs.

___

Juniors
I would prefer Tedesco over Brooks. I think Teddy is a game-changing fullback, but $1,000,000 per season isn't something we will have room for.

Timmah

Staff member
The club hit that rumour on the head yesterday saying he's going nowhere, and now today we're hearing Hasler's extension is granted.

___

Juniors
The club hit that rumour on the head yesterday saying he's going nowhere, and now today we're hearing Hasler's extension is granted.
That's what I heard. I don't know what the decision is based on (if true) considering they had a meeting in November whether to keep Hasler or not, so re-signing him for a further 2 years BEFORE he's yet to get a win on the board this season sounds crazy.

Fangs

Coach
Thats what we see from the Dogs. Shouldn't have beaten the Warriors last night but they found a way to do it.

___

Juniors
Thats what we see from the Dogs. Shouldn't have beaten the Warriors last night but they found a way to do it.
It was a 50-50 game. The dogs just got the better of them. If Isaac Luke didn't drop that ball that eventually lead to Brett Morris's second try, it would've been much closer.

Timmah

Staff member
It was a 50-50 game. The dogs just got the better of them. If Isaac Luke didn't drop that ball that eventually lead to Brett Morris's second try, it would've been much closer.
But he did, and we found the will to win.

Amazing you're now willing to talk the side down when they do the right thing.

___

Juniors
But he did, and we found the will to win.

Amazing you're now willing to talk the side down when they do the right thing.
We won, but at the same time it felt more like the Warriors lost the game.

18-12 with 5 mins left on the click and the Warriors drop the ball. The Bulldogs proceed 50 metres and score. It could've easily been the Warriors travelling 50 to score.

It was a win and I'll take it but it was an ugly win.

The Doc

Juniors
Iv heard from a pretty good source that the Hasler "extension" is no where near being as certain as some may think.
In fact its more likely to not evenuate than it is to eventuate.
The poor start to the season has mounted the pressure on Hasler AND the club.
They stated when all this blew up that a top 4 finish was required in 2017... and the way your team is playing, with the roster you guys have, doesnt indicate a good year will be had by your team.
Of course its early and anything can happen, but based on the top 4 finish requirement and the way the team is going as it stands, a contract extension at this point makes everything that happened in the off season be seen as a blow up for nothing.
I honestly believe Hasler wont be coaching your team in 2018... iv heard little whispers his coming to the dragons.
Iv also heard the club is looking at re-signing reynolds to play in the #9 jersey next year and replace him with mitchell moses? Bye bye Lichaa??
Any of you boys heard this?

___

Juniors
Iv heard from a pretty good source that the Hasler "extension" is no where near being as certain as some may think.
In fact its more likely to not evenuate than it is to eventuate.
The poor start to the season has mounted the pressure on Hasler AND the club.
They stated when all this blew up that a top 4 finish was required in 2017... and the way your team is playing, with the roster you guys have, doesnt indicate a good year will be had by your team.
Of course its early and anything can happen, but based on the top 4 finish requirement and the way the team is going as it stands, a contract extension at this point makes everything that happened in the off season be seen as a blow up for nothing.
I honestly believe Hasler wont be coaching your team in 2018... iv heard little whispers his coming to the dragons.
Iv also heard the club is looking at re-signing reynolds to play in the #9 jersey next year and replace him with mitchell moses? Bye bye Lichaa??
Any of you boys heard this?
Nothing with any substance. Those rumors yes, but nothing is backed up by any source or article. I doubt Reynolds is cut out to be a hooker. He's a great five-eighth, but IMO our problem rests with Mbye playing halfback - he's not a great one.

Timmah

Staff member
Reynolds played hooker through junior/reserve levels with us did he not?

Latest posts