What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast Bears/Nth Sydney/Gosford

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
It's interesting reading the posts of all those Gold Coast experts who don't actually live on the Coast. The most insulting comments are those even slightly considering that the Central Coast offer has any traction at all.

Firstly, we are generally content with the progress of the club since Searle/Cartwright got ditched. Secondly, we have a local consortium ready to move in as soon as the NRL get around to putting the franchise up for sale. Thirdly, we already have a successful Bears of our own, the Burleigh Bears, and I'm sure that they will not relinquish their 100 year old brand to some failed Sydney fiasco.

Post away but be assured that the Coast has every intention of keeping what's theirs.

I hope you do get a local owner, but f*ck i hope the first thing they do is fix up your branding...

The logo/jumper looks like a bad mix of Parramatta, NSW Blues and a failed NFL team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What are the Titans really worth? They are a business with no real assets and running at around a $2million loss a year.

I know the nrl want to recoup there bail out money and whilst an nrl license may be valuable if you can do what you like with it, are the Titans really that good an investment if you have to put in $10mill plus for a. Shines running a a big loss?
It's hard to see how any investor would make anything from the investment.

alien

Referee
There's no point of the Bears taking over the Gold Coast Titans if they will still be called Gold Coast Titans. The Central Coast Bears in the NRL would be pretty strong. The population of the Central Coast is around 350,000, but they should also keep their North Sydney junior district, and they would get good sponsorship money from businesses in the North Sydney area. All home games would be played at Central Coast Stadium, except for maybe 1 home game at North Sydney Oval in Heritage Round.

Perth Red

Post Whore
NRL spent $7.2mill bailing out 4 clubs last year, no doubt it will be same this year and next at this rate. By the time they sell them they will want $50mill!

taipan

Referee
NRL spent $7.2mill bailing out 4 clubs last year, no doubt it will be same this year and next at this rate. By the time they sell them they will want $50mill!

No I'd suggest they'd want/expect around the $10-12m mark.The NRL are dumb at times,but they are not that dumb to realise what the realistic market value for the Titans and Knights would be.
Reason being NRL clubs are ATM not profit making ventures except for a couple.Potential buyers are aware of the pitfalls ask the Penn family re Manly.

Whino

Bench
Well this went quiet once again, roll out the same story in 2018?

Probably. But if this is true no wonder the story is going nowhere.

GRUMPY BEARS
The old North Sydney Bears are running out of patience with the NRL. They’ve upped their bid for the Gold Coast Titans to $10 million but have had no feedback from the NRL. We’re hearing the offer will be withdrawn within a week if there is no communication. Having one potential buyer drop out will make it much harder for the NRL to get the price they want.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/50aacc416cdc8e64d89281211a0330a0

No one expects the NRL to make a decision right now but with a reported $10 million on the table they can at least get in regular contact with the Bears.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Daily telecrap, I'd take it with a pinch of salt. And where have the Bears got $10mill from, certainly not the LC according to their accounts.

taipan

Referee
The NRL have openly stated their ideal preference is a local GC based consortium.Especially as a few on the current GC board would be involved in the purchase.IOW local people with the club at heart, not an outsider who intends to play a few games away from the GC.,
The mere presence of the Suns, means no giving ground to your competitor.

And I feel sure the GC consortium would more than match any Bear's bid.Harsh facts, but the reality of the situation.

The Partisan

Few quick thoughts ....

• Keep the Titans current colours as they are actually quite close to the 'traditional' 1970's Gold Coast colours/

• Don't rebrand the Coast with any new logo. Titans was not my preference when they chose it and a logo / emblem more reflective of the region would have been great.....but hey don't see too many bears, tigers or dragons roaming around Sydney town.

• If the Bears do get resurrected somewhere in some form.......the NRL work with the QRL to have the same happen with former Brisbane RL clubs Valleys, Brothers and Western Suburbs ;)

• Perhaps the Bears big bucks would be best served to assist with the growth of the game internationally. Set up an academy for identified players / coaches / officials / administrators who live and are active in a developing country and have them learn skills to take home to their own countries / comps.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

GRUMPY BEARS
The old North Sydney Bears are running out of patience with the NRL. They’ve upped their bid for the Gold Coast Titans to $10 million but have had no feedback from the NRL. We’re hearing the offer will be withdrawn within a week if there is no communication. Having one potential buyer drop out will make it much harder for the NRL to get the price they want.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/50aacc416cdc8e64d89281211a0330a0

No one expects the NRL to make a decision right now but with a reported $10 million on the table they can at least get in regular contact with the Bears

Im assuming the whole story is bullshit...

Bears are probably trying to get in with a bid, but given nothing will be signed any time soon, the Telecrap can come out with rumours then just say it fell apart before it could be announced.

Classic and no one can prove them wrong.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Few quick thoughts ....

• Keep the Titans current colours as they are actually quite close to the 'traditional' 1970's Gold Coast colours/
Is this a council thing or a BRL thing??
  • Don't rebrand the Coast with any new logo. Titans was not my preference when they chose it and a logo / emblem more reflective of the region would have been great.....but hey don't see too many bears, tigers or dragons roaming around Sydney town.
I agree they shouldnt totally change the name or brng in a different mascot, but that doesnt mean the logo should be held a sacred...

The current badge is easily the worst in the NRL and should be fixed.
  • If the Bears do get resurrected somewhere in some form.......the NRL work with the QRL to have the same happen with former Brisbane RL clubs Valleys, Brothers and Western Suburbs ;)
Forget the Bears, just bring back the old BRL teams...

Each would have 80+ years of history behind them and im sure there would be a few little rivalries to grow.

The Partisan

Is this a council thing or a BRL thing??
I agree they shouldnt totally change the name or brng in a different mascot, but that doesnt mean the logo should be held a sacred...

The current badge is easily the worst in the NRL and should be fixed.
Forget the Bears, just bring back the old BRL teams...

Each would have 80+ years of history behind them and im sure there would be a few little rivalries to grow.

Re dot point #1 - Not sure what the council /BRL references are but when the Gold Coast Rep team played in the 70's ( in the Carlton / XXXX Cup) their jersey was predominantly yellow with thin thin lines of light blue, white and red.

FYI. The Carlton Cup was announced at the demise of the Bulimba Cup in 1972, and thus 1972 saw both Bulimba and Carlton Cup competitions. Wide Bay beat Toowoomba 24-18 in the final that year, which also included Ipswich. The Gold Coast joined in 1975. This then became the Fourex Cup in 1978. In 1982, it was played as a pre-season comp given all four sides would playing in the newly-formed Winfield State League.

Last edited:

davi

Juniors

GRUMPY BEARS

No one expects the NRL to make a decision right now but with a reported $10 million on the table they can at least get in regular contact with the Bears.

Bears running out of patience? I hope they do run out of patience because their not wanted, and the NRL already has enough critics complaining about expansion then to satisfy a Sydney club where the NRL already has the problem of having too many Sydney teams in the comp as it is. Oh thats right it won't be a Sydney club, it will be a Gold Coast/Sydney/Gosford dogs breakfast.

Bears don't have a lot leverage and have really grinded the axe for so long that the public have run out of patience listening to hasbeens talk about how great it was to watch football at North Sydney oval 20 years ago.

Just let it go and move on.

Diesel

Referee
The Bears got shafted back in 99 when they were trying to move to the CC. it's a different story for the other 5 merged clubs and Souths got back in 2 years later

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The Bears got shafted back in 99 when they were trying to move to the CC. it's a different story for the other 5 merged clubs and Souths got back in 2 years later

Didnt they default on the payments due to the Northern Eagles?

Seems less like they got shafted and more like they just went broke....

Perth Red

Post Whore
No I'd suggest they'd want/expect around the $10-12m mark.The NRL are dumb at times,but they are not that dumb to realise what the realistic market value for the Titans and Knights would be.
Reason being NRL clubs are ATM not profit making ventures except for a couple.Potential buyers are aware of the pitfalls ask the Penn family re Manly.

Now whose guessing at numbers? Lol

bobmar28

Bench
What are the Titans really worth? They are a business with no real assets and running at around a $2million loss a year.

I know the nrl want to recoup there bail out money and whilst an nrl license may be valuable if you can do what you like with it, are the Titans really that good an investment if you have to put in $10mill plus for a. Shines running a a big loss?
It's hard to see how any investor would make anything from the investment.

The Titans are an investment in territory.

taipan

Referee
Now whose guessing at numbers? Lol

Not guessing, figures cited by NRL people ,and the weak figure offered by the Bears.Do a bolt of research champ.The figure of $10m has been bandied around quite a lot in the media.So not my guesswork try again.

mistertaylor

Juniors
Titans colour scheme should be 2 shades of blue (light and dark) and silver. Ditch the gold/yellow.

A simple T style logo with "Gold Coast" underneath would look cool too I reckon.