What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL 2017 TV RATINGS!

AFL STV ratings down -24% on same time last year. Round 1 last year had 6 games rate above 200k on fox, this year they only had 2. They also had 3/4 expansion sides in the Swans, lions & suns rating for a combined total of only 174k on fox.
Untitled.jpg
2 games - one of which was the 'queer clash', rating 74k! oh, and a whopping 49k on FTA!
Fumbleball is on the nose in QLD and NSW and its only going to get worse for them I both states.

This is a smart move by 7 Network, Nine has every right to do this as well but it seems they are not very interested in doing so at the moment.
Probably fumbleball has someone on the inside at 7 making sure it happens.

AJB1102

First Grade
2 games - one of which was the 'queer clash', rating 74k! oh, and a whopping 49k on FTA!

Wow they're A-League style viewer numbers.

Seems no one outside Melbourne gives a flying. You could knock me down with a feather .. I'm not black otherwise bananas would be totally appropriate.

Perth Red

Post Whore
In summary from that twitter chart
Rd1 tv down 3% crowd down 14%
Rd2 tv up 1% crowd up 10%
Rd3 tv equal crowd down 4%
Rd4 tv down 9% crowd down 34%

We need more round 2's!

edit: nvm im a peanut
What we need you to do is confirm that a majority of crowd figures for women afl games were BS. How can you get 4,500 in a ground with a 3,000 capacity?.
We would also like you to confirm that the crowds given out for gws, suns and lions home games are total BS as well, and please not the afl line that most of the crowd were on the TV cameras side to protect themselves from the sun in July and August.

Last edited:

The_Wookie

Bench
What we need you to do is confirm that a majority of crowd figures for women afl games were BS. How can you get 4,500 in a ground with a 3,000 capacity?.

Ive expressed my lack of belief in the 4,500 crowd report on a number of occasions. Some of the initial crowd reports where they ticketed JLT series crowd and the AFLW crowd were reported as the same have already been adjusted by the league, but most of them are just estimates in any case. Entry was free, so I really dont give a damn to be honest.

We would also like you to confirm that the crowds given out for gws, suns and lions home games are total BS as well, and please not the afl line that most of the crowd were on the TV cameras side to protect themselves from the sun in July and August.

I cant confirm it. I think GWS crowds are almost certainly being misreported, but Im not sure why that would be the case given the AFL has taken other groups - notably the SANFL at Adelaide Oval - to task over its inaccurate crowd reporting on several occasions. Im not at the venues in NSW and QLD either so I cant confirm numbers are different to the AFL reports.

Pay tv ratings for afl opening weekend

Total- 1.515 million
Average- 168k

Nrl opening weekend
Total- 1.991 million
Average- 248 k

Paticularly bad weekend on Fox for the AFL but they scheduled poorly as well so they cant blame anyone but themselves. I mean, one of these games was a West Coast away game that was shown at 10am on Saturday morning in Perth ffs.

AFL still ended up with higher ratings for the weekend over FTA and Fox combined, but the NRL are up on the AFL by about 5 million when all ratings are factored in so far.

Ive expressed my lack of belief in the 4,500 crowd report on a number of occasions. Some of the initial crowd reports where they ticketed JLT series crowd and the AFLW crowd were reported as the same have already been adjusted by the league, but most of them are just estimates in any case. Entry was free, so I really dont give a damn to be honest.

I cant confirm it. I think GWS crowds are almost certainly being misreported, but Im not sure why that would be the case given the AFL has taken other groups - notably the SANFL at Adelaide Oval - to task over its inaccurate crowd reporting on several occasions. Im not at the venues in NSW and QLD either so I cant confirm numbers are different to the AFL reports.

Paticularly bad weekend on Fox for the AFL but they scheduled poorly as well so they cant blame anyone but themselves. I mean, one of these games was a West Coast away game that was shown at 10am on Saturday morning in Perth ffs.

AFL still ended up with higher ratings for the weekend over FTA and Fox combined, but the NRL are up on the AFL by about 5 million when all ratings are factored in so far.
I suspect along with others that the afl are fudging the women's crowd figures in the hope that the Queensland government will build them another stadium in Queensland with taxpayers money.

Billythekid

First Grade
The pay TV ratings further emphasize how much the NRL was ripped off last TV deal. We continue to destroy the AFL in TV ratings as well always have but like always we don't get any more money (less even). Either the AFL have the best negotiators in the business or whoever organises our TV deals are totally inept.

AFL have an extra game each week. They really should be getting higher ratings.

The_Wookie

Bench
I suspect along with others that the afl are fudging the women's crowd figures in the hope that the Queensland government will build them another stadium in Queensland with taxpayers money.

One would hope that the decision makers would actually go to one of these matches to see for themselves.

Im supportive of the new Lions training facility having a minor capacity to go with it rather than an entirely new facility just for a few small games.

but fabdil says no and he's an expert

he is an expert on many things.

The_Wookie

Bench
Either the AFL have the best negotiators in the business or whoever organises our TV deals are totally inept.

How about a combination of the two. I wouldnt say the league negotiators are inept but I think they were forced to deal quickly to get a result fast and that hampers their result. The Nine deal was a great starting point, then the AFL did its deal, and I think they panicked a little.

Billythekid

First Grade
How about a combination of the two. I wouldnt say the league negotiators are inept but I think they were forced to deal quickly to get a result fast and that hampers their result. The Nine deal was a great starting point, then the AFL did its deal, and I think they panicked a little.

I agree that it is a combination of the 2. It's pretty amateur to panic and rush through a deal worth 2 billion dollars though if that's what happened.

insert.pause

First Grade
you don't reckon how quickly the AFL deal came together had anything to do with Murdoch getting retribution against Dave Smith for cutting newscorp out of the Nine deal and announcing it on the day Murdoch landed in Australia?

Smith made the negotiations unnecessarily adversarial and handed the AFL about $200m in the process.

If Grant weren't such a weak chairman looking to save his own skin by rushing through a deal it would have been very interesting to see what newscorps end game was. If it weren't for the Friday arvo game I would say the NRL did a reasonable deal, despite everything.

colly

Juniors
The pay TV ratings further emphasize how much the NRL was ripped off last TV deal. We continue to destroy the AFL in TV ratings as well always have but like always we don't get any more money (less even). Either the AFL have the best negotiators in the business or whoever organises our TV deals are totally inept.

AFL have an extra game each week. They really should be getting higher ratings.

Not true, see my posts. NRL gets $400 million yearly cash only
AFL gets $ 383 million yearly cash only