What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tennis

Game_Breaker

Coach
I still don't believe it. He broke back in the fifth against Nadal after all those devastating losses. Unbelievable.

I wasn't that surprised tbh
Nadal struggled to hold serve in the 5th. Nearly all his service games went to deuce or break points

Tennis really is a mental game. Talent and skill are not enough

Danish

Referee
Don't normally post in the tennis thread but had to after this match.

Woke up at 3am to watch this game in New York. What a f**king match!

I felt Federer completely dominated the match to be honest. Only Nadal's class was able to force it to 5 sets with an incredible ability to defends break points when it mattered and take the very few chances he got during the match. The 5th set in particular Nadal struggled to hold serve the entire set, with only a single bad game by roger giving up that break.

Even so, the mentality of Federer to just keep coming back after Nadal defended break point after break point, was truly incredible to watch.

My only regret is that Nadal needlessly challenged on match point, which somewhat ruined the moment. You could see Nadal was quite apologetic about it though, and ultimately it didnt matter.

The class of both players during their speeches too was great.

We'll never see the likes of these 2 men in tennis, or a rivalry like this in just about any sport, ever again

Tommy Smith

Referee
You're right in that Federer dominated.

The match was decided on his racket. In the 1st, 3rd and the majority of the 5th set he was crunching winner after incredible winner.

And it was simply too much for Nadal who was broken 5 times over those 3 sets.

But when Federer went slightly off the boil - to be expected when he was playing such aggressive tennis - Nadal pounced as he always does by playing incredible error free defensive tennis.

Then there's also his incomparable tenacity and ability to stave off break points. He fought off 5 or 6 in that 5th set before Federer finally got the break.

It was a stunning display in that 5th set of Federer's incomparable shot making vs Nadal's resilience and composure, and ability to counter attack on the big points.

Ultimately what made the difference is that FedEx went toe-to-toe with Rafa in the tenacity and mental battle down the stretch.

Which isn't something he or indeed any other player bar Novak has been able to do against Nadal.

As a fanatical sports fan, I don't believe I've ever seen sporting theatre quite like Federer vs Nadal. It's the highest level of sporting competition I've ever witnessed and I doubt it'll ever be matched.

Game_Breaker

Coach
I looked online on Friday to see what the tickets would be worth since I was considering flying to Melbourne to watch the match
Even though it was sold out, tickets were selling for 3-4 K, I was seriously considering biting the bullet and just go because when will we see Nadal v Federer in an Aus open final again? Last one was 2009

LatK7

First Grade
Well deserved jump in the rankings for both. It's crazy that just a few days ago people were talking about Fed slipping past the 20s in the rankings by not defending his SF from AO 2016. Then he wins the tournaments and hits the top 10...just GOAT things.

Valheru

Coach
Nick Kyrgios just beat Djokovic for the 2nd straight time at Indian Wells in a straight set dominant performance where Djokovic was not able to force a single break point.

He becomes the first man in 5 years to beat Djokavic in back to back matches. For those unaware, Indian Wells is the 5th biggest tournament after the grand slams with a grand slam quality field and massive ATP points up for grabs, although matches are still best of 3.

Kyrgios really is knocking on the door of that top 10 now and I give him a massive chance of reaching semi finals at both Wimbledon and the US Open this year.

Valheru

Coach
Kyrgios lost what was a sensational match of tennis to federer in 3 sets (all tie breaks).

For those wanting more maturity and mental application from nick, he showed an extraordinary amount today combatting an unecessarily hostile crowd who booed him at every opportunity for no good reason.

The crowd should actually be ashamed of themselves. They constantly called out during points to put Nick off, one of which resulted in him losing a point at 5-4 up in the 3rd set tie breaker. He exploded after that and i can't blame him.

some11

Referee
combatting an unecessarily hostile crowd who booed him at every opportunity for no good reason.

He brings it on himself though, it's almost as if someone told him he should make a career out of turning heel.

Danish

Referee
Kyrgios lost what was a sensational match of tennis to federer in 3 sets (all tie breaks).

For those wanting more maturity and mental application from nick, he showed an extraordinary amount today combatting an unecessarily hostile crowd who booed him at every opportunity for no good reason.

The crowd should actually be ashamed of themselves. They constantly called out during points to put Nick off, one of which resulted in him losing a point at 5-4 up in the 3rd set tie breaker. He exploded after that and i can't blame him.

What do you expect from the country that prides itself of poor sportsmanship?

The most annoying thing over here is hearing McEnroe constantly laying into him, as though he isnt celebrated for being a grade A f**kwit

Valheru

Coach
He brings it on himself though, it's almost as if someone told him he should make a career out of turning heel.

He actually didn't do anything wrong on this occasion. He dropped is racquet in frustration in the middle of the 1st set and from there they heckled him mercilessly. After losing the first set he sat down in his chair where he was booed until the start of the 2nd set.

Another point in the match he went to change racquets and was booed whilst doing that and federer's wife was caught joining in.

The crowd resorted to cheering his mistakes and still he ignored them. He finally exploded when they cost him that point in the tie break. After the match they booed him as he walked off.

It was tantamount to cheating in fed's favour and the fact Nick nearly won shows how far he has come.

Valheru

Coach
sorry he is still a wanker who deserves all he gets

You obviously know him personally?

He doesn't deserve a quarter of what he gets. The only thing he has done wrong is tank points which all players do but he needs to at least make it look like he is trying. Also the Wawrinka comment was poor

Other than that, I have no idea why people get so upset if he breaks a racquet or yells at himself or his support group etc. Who cares? He is at least bringing energy and enthusiasm to tennis. That's not to mention the back to back matches where he has told his opponent to challenge a wrong call.

Also, it is the biggest myth in the world that the likes of Federer, Nadal etc. have been well behaved in their careers. Federer when he was younger was an absolute pain in the arse on the court.

coolsteve

Juniors
You obviously know him personally?

He doesn't deserve a quarter of what he gets. The only thing he has done wrong is tank points which all players do but he needs to at least make it look like he is trying. Also the Wawrinka comment was poor

Other than that, I have no idea why people get so upset if he breaks a racquet or yells at himself or his support group etc. Who cares? He is at least bringing energy and enthusiasm to tennis. That's not to mention the back to back matches where he has told his opponent to challenge a wrong call.

Also, it is the biggest myth in the world that the likes of Federer, Nadal etc. have been well behaved in their careers. Federer when he was younger was an absolute pain in the arse on the court.
he still carries on like a wanker, sorry

coolsteve

Juniors
calm down, sweety. I think he`s a wanker, you have a love fest happening with him.I just dont like the way he carries himself with all the tanking, abusing ballboys and tantrums. He only has to be half decent and all australia would be behind him in a flash. He may change, he may not. I wasn`t too fussed with Hewitt early on either. anyway, it`s just my opinion

Latest posts