What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason Nightingale 2017

TruSaint

Referee
Nightingales speed and defensive positioning in the shield showed every other team in the comp how to score against us. We don't have a coach that can exploit a teams weaknesses but every other team does.

Nightingale 2017 is not Nightingale 2010 .. He is a champion in my eyes too no doubt but if I were to list the top three problems in the team right now they would be

1. Widdop
2. Left Centre
3. Right Wing (Given Nene should be playing left wing).

This is not based on one game .. it is based on one game plus season 2016.

Widdop at 1 ?
On what basis ?

There are 2-3 other players can can fill 1.

What then with Gareth ?
If you based Flo's deficiencies on 2016, then u were watching a different game.

RufusRex

Post Whore
It was an ordered list of issues not a positional roster

I watched pretty much every nrl game in 2016 and both Mann and MacDonald in 2016 were better wingers than nightingale 2016. This was reflected in the simplest and most obvious measure .. tries scored. Mann when he played wing was in the top 10 players in the NRL for tries per game. MacDonald scored close to double and was lethal in the air. You are letting 2010 cloud your judgement.

Reactions: Qdf

SBD82

Coach
Remember last year how Mary moved nighty to the left wing?

Remember how that turned out to be a shit idea so he moved him back to the right, where he always should have been?

And then the charity shield... Nighty likes up in the left.

Such a f**king joke.

possm

Coach
Mary has our backline using a compressed defensive formation and has done for quite some time now. The trouble is that all opposition coaches have devised plans to overcome this. Nightingale has been caught out the same way many times in the past couple of years on both sides of the field. This is largely to do with Mary's poor defensive pattern and somewhat due to Nightingale's loss of speed.

Nightingale's manager should obtain a lucrative 2 year deal in the ESL so that he can complete his career on a high.

ALSGI

Bench
I kicked this thread off back in January becuase I was convinced he had father time tapping him on the shoulder and just wanted to say how thrilled I was in his game yesterday.

Hats off to Nighty, could well have been 4 tries if the footy gods allowed.

Hope we can see more of that this year, he only scored 5 last year and 6 the year before that and 15 the year before. I'd expect Wingers to be in double figures by the end of the year.

There's no one in the 17 I'd love to see have a great season more than Nighty.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
I kicked this thread off back in January becuase I was convinced he had father time tapping him on the shoulder and just wanted to say how thrilled I was in his game yesterday.

Hats off to Nighty, could well have been 4 tries if the footy gods allowed.

Hope we can see more of that this year, he only scored 5 last year and 6 the year before that and 15 the year before. I'd expect Wingers to be in double figures by the end of the year.

There's no one in the 17 I'd love to see have a great season more than Nighty.

That was a reflection of our team's appalling attack, not Nightingale's form. How many genuine try scoring opportunities was he actually presented with?

possm

Coach
Well we had a more sensible defensive pattern and look what happened; our wingers were not caught out in-field. The plan of Widdop feeding Lafai and Nightingale with great passes and judicious kicks was clever.

I always like to see players retire while they are on top. The club should help with finding them employment.

ALSGI

Bench
Well we had a more sensible defensive pattern and look what happened; our wingers were not caught out in-field. The plan of Widdop feeding Lafai and Nightingale with great passes and judicious kicks was clever.

I always like to see players retire while they are on top. The club should help with finding them employment.
The kind of help Mary, Young, Hornby, Head, Timmins etc got?

Red V for life

Juniors
Ohhh, Flo.

You dazzled me with your tries yesterday and had me in stitches when trying to build up some pace by thrusting your head and chest forward and hoping your legs would catch up!

LEGEND!

ALSGI

Bench
He was one of many that were aweful last night. Is anyone seriously still thinking Nighty is our best option for Wing now - let alone for another year?
Souffs debut an 18yo and we return Marketo for his first FG game in round 22?
f**k me Drunk.
So many better, younger, faster options.

He was one of many that were aweful last night. Is anyone seriously still thinking Nighty is our best option for Wing now - let alone for another year?
f**k me Drunk.

An 18yo in first grade? Are you mad?
You can't play first grade at the dragons till your in your mid 20s and played for three other clubs, it in thier contracts.

FlameThrower

Bench
He also was dragged into touch again on 1st tackle and metres from our try live. His crazy attempt to dive over that Souths player was dumb. I love the guy, but he gets dragged over the sideline all the time and does not have the speed to take advantage of broken plays or a spilled ball. Basic stuff we seem to struggle with and then we get on the back foot and revert to 'Dragons Footy' ...

HIS TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SLOW sick of all this good shit about him at the end of the day his looking after himself or he would of retired well and truly by now.

Mr Red

First Grade
Mary has our backline using a compressed defensive formation and has done for quite some time now. The trouble is that all opposition coaches have devised plans to overcome this. Nightingale has been caught out the same way many times in the past couple of years on both sides of the field. This is largely to do with Mary's poor defensive pattern and somewhat due to Nightingale's loss of speed.

Nightingale's manager should obtain a lucrative 2 year deal in the ESL so that he can complete his career on a high.
Compressed defence works well if you have speed in the backline so they players are able to slide when needed and use the sideline to their advantage.
However with our bunch of plodders like lafai, Dugan and McCrone compressed defence is easy to beat..

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Now, lets move forward to 2018 and we do face a selection dilemma with regards to Nighty Mann and Aitken.
For mine there are 3 options.
1. Nighty wing, Mann centre, Aitken utility.
2. Mann wing, Aitken centre, Nighty utility.
3. Nighty wing, Aitken centre, Mann utility.
I suppose the 4th option is to blood a youngster or somehow jag a quality wing/centre from the salary cap debarkle, but for the moment that is unknown and we know McGregor likes his favourites. So lets stick with the 3 options above.
1. Is a safe option. Aitkens run of leg injuries worries me. Hammies and knees once damaged seem to hang around. Off the bench he could have dynamic impact.
2. Is my preferred option. Nighty's time is evaporating fast, especially as a winger. I think he could provide good cover for backs and even hooker next year.
3. Will be McGregors option. We all know this right!

slippery5

Juniors
f**k me Drunk.
I stated Nighty should be gone last year & got hammered with quotes like " anyone who thinks this has lost all credibility" I love him but the team comes first.

slippery5

Juniors
Now, lets move forward to 2018 and we do face a selection dilemma with regards to Nighty Mann and Aitken.
I suppose the 4th option is to blood a youngster or somehow jag a quality wing/centre from the salary cap debarkle, but for the moment that is unknown and we know McGregor likes his favourites. So lets stick with the 3 options above.
1. Is a safe option. Aitkens run of leg injuries worries me. Hammies and knees once damaged seem to hang around. Off the bench he could have dynamic impact.
2. Is my preferred option. Nighty's time is evaporating fast, especially as a winger. I think he could provide good cover for backs and even hooker next year.
You DON'T get it, I think you was the one who labelled me with having no credibility when I said LAST year Nighty is past it.
Do not include him in any selection dilemmas if we truly want to progress.

Old Timer

Coach
Hate to say it but you are far too much in love with a 2010 hero.
Next year
Dufty FB
Aitken RC
Mann LC
The 2 quickest backs that are over 90kgs and under 22 years of age on the wing.
MC Donald & Lafai to reggies to fight there way into the side post round 10 or otherwise out the door at the end of this season.
All this bullshitting around with fringe 1st graders and other teams hand me downs and juniors has to stop.
The only thing that should change the above is if an outside back from the Qld SOO squad becomes available as the NSW ones should be avoided like the plague.
Honestly if you look at all the outside backs we have signed in recent years they have been absolute shit except Mann and he is the one who has been treated the worst despite repeatedly showing he can actually play this game.

Latest posts