What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Appoint Brad Arthur as Head Coach (Part Deux)

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Find me one person who thought we were going to finish top 4 at the start of the season who is bagging us now. Otherwise you are just talking shit

Read the Season Prediction thread. The most vocal person on this thread had us as Top 4 and Corey Norman as Dally M. I conveniently bumped that post this arvo so you can see it in all it's glory.

Interestingly, in the same thread you specifically commented on the fact that only three people had us outside the 8 (of which you and I make up 2/3). Are all of those people who had us in the finals still happy after less than 2 months?

I didn't need to provide that example to prove I am not talking shit. I have seen constant flipping and flopping from people on whether the team or a coach/player is good or bad and it invariably hinges on our week to week results. I am also not the first person to comment on it either.

Just because I agree with Pou on something it doesn't mean I have my nose in his arse. I certainly wouldn't suggest that you have your nose in Avy's arse as that would be stupid. I guarantee you that if you post something well considered and sensible I will be the first to agree with you.

Noise

Coach
I have no idea how to quote paragraphs but will have a attempt

Read the Season Prediction thread. The most vocal person on this thread had us as Top 4 and Corey Norman as Dally M. I conveniently bumped that post this arvo so you can see it in all it's glory.

Ha I stand corrected. You did find 1 hysterical flip flopping fan. I still don't think that represents the majority on here

Interestingly, in the same thread you specifically commented on the fact that only three people had us outside the 8 (of which you and I make up 2/3). Are all of those people who had us in the finals still happy after less than 2 months?

All of them? No. Some of them don't seem to phased. But I specifically said top 4 which indicates a good side - which as I conceded you found one.

I didn't need to provide that example to prove I am not talking shit. I have seen constant flipping and flopping from people on whether the team or a coach/player is good or bad and it invariably hinges on our week to week results. I am also not the first person to comment on it either.

I'll agree to disagree here. Most people on here that make comments on our play/recuitment/etc are pretty consistent with their views whether it is Pou, Hindyrulz, HappyMeel, Chipmunk you or myself (and I mentioned these names because they have been vocal of late and are regular posters)

Just because I agree with Pou on something it doesn't mean I have my nose in his arse. I certainly wouldn't suggest that you have your nose in Avy's arse as that would be stupid. I guarantee you that if you post something well considered and sensible I will be the first to agree with you.

You insinuated that everyone had lost perspective and were flip flopping with their views. And like I said I'll agree to disagree here because I believe most people on here (whether i agree with them or not) have pretty strong and consistent view points

* f**k yea my paragraph quotes worked. There has to be an easier way than i did it though

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I have no idea how to quote paragraphs but will have a attempt

Nice paragraphing!

Ha I stand corrected. You did find 1 hysterical flip flopping fan. I still don't think that represents the majority on here.

Neither do I. In my original post I actually use the words 'some of you'.

All of them? No. Some of them don't seem to phased. But I specifically said top 4 which indicates a good side - which as I conceded you found one.

So some people who originally predicted better things than we are now experiencing are not particularly happy and others aren't too phased? I'd agree with that.

I'll agree to disagree here. Most people on here that make comments on our play/recuitment/etc are pretty consistent with their views whether it is Pou, Hindyrulz, HappyMeel, Chipmunk you or myself (and I mentioned these names because they have been vocal of late and are regular posters).

That's cool mate. We can agree to disagree on this one though I actually think we are not too dissimilar in what we are saying. There are definitely some that are consistent but there are also several who aren't.

You insinuated that everyone had lost perspective and were flip flopping with their views. And like I said I'll agree to disagree here because I believe most people on here (whether i agree with them or not) have pretty strong and consistent view points

Not sure how you can suggest that I insinuated that 'everyone' had lost perspective when I used the words 'some of you'.

f**k yea my paragraph quotes worked.

widerstand_arbeitnehmerrechte_arbeitsunrecht_betriebsrat_kritisches_netzwerk_die_fertigmacher_union_bashing_busting_gewerkschaft_gewerkschaftsbekaempfung_unterdrueckung.png

Avenger

Immortal
/QUOTE]
And what if that still happens? I haven't written off the year. I have just stated that Arthur needs assistance because he is in unchartered territory with 4 losses in a row.

Avenger

Immortal
And what if that still happens? I haven't written off the year. I have just stated that Arthur needs assistance because he is in unchartered territory with 4 losses in a row.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Why are four losses in a row any worse than if we'd spread them out? Does that mean our two consecutive wins are more relevant than any other two wins?

Consecutive results, in the context of a whole season, are a gimmick to fascinate fans and punters. Especially early in the year they mean very little.

Avenger

Immortal
Former premiership-winning coach, Chris Anderson once said that a true test of a coach is how the team responds after suffering 4 straight losses. I'm more interested in somebody with his experience, knowledge and insight rather than a delusional f**kwit like you who twists every conceivable statement for god knows why.

Suitman

Post Whore
Oh Pou........really?
Do you honestly believe the stuff you write, or do you just put it out there for an argument?
I'm guessing the latter.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Former premiership-winning coach, Chris Anderson once said that a true test of a coach is how the team responds after suffering 4 straight losses. I'm more interested in somebody with his experience, knowledge and insight rather than a delusional f**kwit like you who twists every conceivable statement for god knows why.
Well it's either going to be a win or five straight losses. For the record Arthur led us to four straight losses in 2014 and we responded with three straight wins, then the next year (2015 if you're still reading) we lost four straight and followed them up with WLWWWLLLWLWLL, so case closed. Arthur has passed this test twice.

But obviously if we lose this weekend it means he can't coach.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I only provided that example because Noise asked me to.

My original point about flipping and flopping was much broader than the one example from one thread that Noise suggested I needed to find to validate my argument.

You are continuing to prove my point that some people lack perspective.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Why are four losses in a row any worse than if we'd spread them out? Does that mean our two consecutive wins are more relevant than any other two wins?

Consecutive results, in the context of a whole season, are a gimmick to fascinate fans and punters. Especially early in the year they mean very little.
I don't agree.

Picture this scenario:

Two teams with the same Win-Loss record are playing each other in Round 11. One is coming off 4 straight wins and the other is coming off four straight losses.

If that happened 100 times which team would chalk up more wins? I'd vote for the team with momentum.

They say that "winning is a habit". I would argue the same with respect to losing. It is difficult to get yourself out of a rut when you lose several in a row.

Granted, I accept that it is a long season and in the scheme of things it ultimately just comes down to total win-losses. When you have them can be irrelevant.

However, if you were to survey most coaches and players I would suggest that they would prefer not to have to contemplate a major losing streak as it is a test that they may ultimately fail.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Ding Ding Ding. No we don't.

Those sorts of responses add very little to the discussion tbh.
Really???? But Pou waffling on endlessly with his BS is fine??? Making ridiculous statements that he can't back up are fine??? I suppose it gets discussion in here.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Really???? But Pou waffling on endlessly with his BS is fine??? Making ridiculous statements that he can't back up are fine??? I suppose it gets discussion in here.
If you don't agree with him tell him how and why.

If you feel you have tried that but the slippery merkin keeps changing the goal posts with his arguments then put the f**kwit on ignore and stop having a girly hissyfit. Simples.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
If you don't agree with him tell him how and why.

If you feel you have tried that but the slippery merkin keeps changing the goal posts with his arguments then put the f**kwit on ignore and stop having a girly hissyfit. Simples.
Girly hissyfit??? Lol, I only chuck those over the team and coach and board. I enjoy the Bantz with the Pou this place wouldn't be the same without him.

But if you don't think what Suity said was spot on you really are copping a noseful.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Girly hissyfit??? Lol, I only chuck those over the team and coach and board. I enjoy the Bantz with the Pou this place wouldn't be the same without him.

But if you don't think what Suity said was spot on you really are copping a noseful.
Yep, and by the same logic you must be gargling Suity's man juice.

My take on this discussion is there for all to see in post #951.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't agree.

Picture this scenario:

Two teams with the same Win-Loss record are playing each other in Round 11. One is coming off 4 straight wins and the other is coming off four straight losses.

If that happened 100 times which team would chalk up more wins? I'd vote for the team with momentum.

They say that "winning is a habit". I would argue the same with respect to losing. It is difficult to get yourself out of a rut when you lose several in a row.

Granted, I accept that it is a long season and in the scheme of things it ultimately just comes down to total win-losses. When you have them can be irrelevant.

However, if you were to survey most coaches and players I would suggest that they would prefer not to have to contemplate a major losing streak as it is a test that they may ultimately fail.
So maybe the true test of a coach is how a team responds after five losses? Or could it be six?

And does a long losing streak become something that negatively affects the preparation of the opposition?

Either way the magic number is four, supposively (yeah I said it) according to Chris Anderson. This is Arthur's third four game losing streak so he obviously loves a challenge. He also has never coached a team to five straight. Personally I reckon that's the real true test of a coach and Chris Anderson can get f**ked with his weak four-straight-losses test.

Anyway Chris once told me that the even truer test of a coach was how the team responded after seven straight losses, but he would say that, wouldn't he? In 2002 his Cronulla side followed a seven game losing streak with 11 consecutive wins. He tried to better the feat the next year but they only managed to lose six straight. It was his biggest regret as a coach. That and joining Parramatta a month too late to help Kearney extend our six game losing streak in 2012.

Anyway the point is you're wrong.

Latest posts