What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Could Move to First on the Ladder

possm

Coach
OV
Do you think Rein has a future at panthers or anywhere in the future?
I think McInnes is the difference this year. What do you think about McInnes?
I'd say McInnes, Vaughan and Simms have turned out to be great buys. Widdop, McCrone, Lafai and Aitken have made tremendous improvement and still have plenty of room to step up further.

I feel very sure that there has been some external assistance which has helped to make this all happen. Well done boys, keep it up and we'll make the GF.

Crush

Coach
I'd say McInnes, Vaughan and Simms have turned out to be great buys. Widdop, McCrone, Lafai and Aitken have made tremendous improvement and still have plenty of room to step up further.

I feel very sure that there has been some external assistance which has helped to make this all happen. Well done boys, keep it up and we'll make the GF.
Damn you and your well thought out genuine posts Poss!
I was trying to bait Objective View!
Lol...

possm

Coach
Damn you and your well thought out genuine posts Poss!
I was trying to bait Objective View!
Lol...
Oh! Sorry to ruin your fun Crush. Next time I'll look outside the square when I read your posts.

No, Rein has no future except as back up hooker.

McInnes is certainly a step up. I consider Cameron Smith the best player in the NRL. So a little hard to speak glowingly of any other hooker.

Straight Shooter

Last edited:

duck

Juniors
No, Rein had no future except as back up hooker.

McInnes is certainly a step up. I consider Cameron Smith the best player in the NRL. So a little hard to speak glowingly of any other hooker.

Straight Shooter
Smith is quite possibly the best player I've ever seen. Without a doubt the smartest.

possm

Coach
McInnes has a very bright future at the Dragons. Who would have thought an 80min player who plays so well for about 250k. What a great deal and what a great member of our spine in 2017.

BennyV

Referee
Smith is quite possibly the best player I've ever seen. Without a doubt the smartest.
Bit off topic, but I find it an interesting one!

What constitutes the 'best player' in the game? If I'm looking for a single signing to completely lift a team over the course of a season, Smith is #1, probably followed by Cronk.

If my team if down by 4 with 5 minutes to go in literally any game, I'd be begging for Thurston. Or Lockyer, unfortunately.

I didn't know enough about footy when Johns was in his prime, but I do remember him being completely dominant too.

duck

Juniors

What constitutes the 'best player' in the game? If I'm looking for a single signing to completely lift a team over the course of a season, Smith is #1, probably followed by Cronk.

If my team if down by 4 with 5 minutes to go in literally any game, I'd be begging for Thurston. Or Lockyer, unfortunately.

I didn't know enough about footy when Johns was in his prime, but I do remember him being completely dominant too.
The thing with Smith, Johns and Thurston is/was their complete control over the other 25 players on the field. Johns not so much as the other two but he had more individual brilliance and was very quick between the ears.
The try he set up for Albert showed incredible vision. He was a master.

Old Timer

Coach
If your team was down by 2 with seconds to go you'd want Inglis in your team.
Wally Lewis for mine.
Single handedly won so many games at club, SOO and National level.
His vision and tactical ability was the closest thing I have ever seen to Chook Raper who IMO had no peer during his time for that aspect of the game.
Wally's great strength was getting repeat sets at absolute critical times in games by astute kicking and unbelievable indiviudal one on one defence and then getting the ball into the right set of hands at the correct moment.

possm

Coach
We don't have to look very far back to note that Smith/Cronk could not win the Storm a GF last year and there was no one player on the field who dominated the other 25.

So in my view, just look at the list of immortals and you come very close to the answer of your question. Each era had it's own Cameron Smith, Wally Lewis etc.

duck

Juniors
Wally Lewis for mine.
Single handedly won so many games at club, SOO and National level.
His vision and tactical ability was the closest thing I have ever seen to Chook Raper who IMO had no peer during his time for that aspect of the game.
Wally's great strength was getting repeat sets at absolute critical times in games by astute kicking and unbelievable indiviudal one on one defence and then getting the ball into the right set of hands at the correct moment.
I think you missed the joke mate. I meant if your team was down by two points you need someone with the abilty to kick a 3 point field goal. Inglis fits the bill.

possm

Coach
In next Saturdays game against the Cowboys, I'm tipping JDB to be the standout player; very aggressive and effective in defence and in attack, tearing through the Cowboys forwards to score two tries.

Go the mighty Dragons

possm

Coach
If the Club can come to terms with Widdop and Dugan prior to Saturdays game, it would be a big boost and so the sky will be the limit.

possm

Coach
I'm hearing that Frizell is likely to play against the Cowboys next Saturday and Dugan will return against the Roosters on ANZAC Day. If this is the case, we have an excellent chance of remaining at the top of the competition ladder.

UP THE MIGHTY DRAGONS!

possm

Coach
I think you missed the joke mate. I meant if your team was down by two points you need someone with the abilty to kick a 3 point field goal. Inglis fits the bill.
In my day, tries were worth 3 points and field goals were worth two.

since77

Juniors

You only need to go back to Melbourne's 40 nil GF loss to see how valuable Smith is / was. Take Smith out of Melbourne and they win no premierships over the last decade, despite having Cronk and Slater and Bellamy.

It also takes a truly special player to win a game purely on force of will and those are who I regard as the best players. Watch Johns in 2000 GF and Thurston in 2015 GF. Both guided their teams to wins in the biggest games of their career simply by sheer determination.