What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mark Coyne

possm

Coach
Mark Coyne urges St George Illawarra Dragons to re-sign Paul McGregor

St George Illawarra great Mark Coyne believes coach Paul McGregor "can't do any more" to justify a new contract after the club's outstanding start to the year.

McGregor came into the season as a man under fire after the Dragons finished the 2016 season in 11th place. Most pundits predicted a bottom-four finish after a poor Charity Shield showing but the Red V then went on to win five of their opening six matches to sit on top of the NRL ladder (before Saturday night's clash with the Cowboys).

1492259822918.jpg

Happy Dragons: The Dragons celebrate Euan Aitken's try during their big win over Manly. Photo: Getty Images
Coyne, a former Dragons skipper, returned to the club in an official capacity as a member of the football performance committee that was formed in the off-season. While he has no official input on coaching retention matters, the former Maroons centre believes "Mary" has proven himself worthy of a contract extension.

"Definitely – he can't do any more than what he's delivered," Coyne said.

1492259822918.jpg

New deal?: Paul McGregor is in line for a new contract after the Dragons' great start to the season. Photo: John Veage
"The team is obviously going outstanding this year and there's not much more he can do in terms of performing on the field. It's a call for the club on what is the right timing around re-signing; there are lots of things you need to factor in like where the players are sitting at, all those sorts of things.

"It will be a decision the club need to make. I don't get involved in that side of things, I don't get engaged in making any recommendations about Mary. But you'd have to say there's not much more he can do than what he's done at the moment."

One of the football performance committee's key recommendations was freeing McGregor of retention and recruitment responsibilities, allowing him to concentrate on coaching. The decision appears to have paid immediate dividends with a string of impressive victories, including against premiership heavyweights Penrith and Cronulla.

"The big one is freeing Mary up to do what he needs to do with the team on the field," Coyne said.

"Mary was a great attacking player, one of the best that's played the game and that's starting to come out. They're playing really good footy, like the Broncos and the Cowboys a few years ago, when they were just playing what's in front of them. That sort of attack is the way to go when everyone else is so structured.

"They can't do much more. The forward pack is outstanding; the way they cover for themselves defensively and fill the holes is really good. They're getting some good attacking football, the offloads are coming and they are getting the ball out wide to where the gaps are. It's really exciting to watch them at the moment."

The Dragons' director of league pathways, Ian Millward, has been charged with roster management. Having lured Ben Hunt from Brisbane, the priority now is to retain captain Gareth Widdop and fullback Josh Dugan.

Coyne believes the club is finally getting its salary cap in order after a series of post-premiership, back-ended deals.

"There's a bit of a hangover from the grand final [in 2010] where there were a few contracts back-ended to get Gaz [Mark Gasnier] back," he said.

"There's been some time to get over that hangover and they're now getting better control of the cap. It's about spending the money where you need to spend it and they're at the point where they are more proactive in managing the cap. There was a hangover from the post-Wayne [Bennett] days. He won them a grand final, which is great, but he made things a bit tough after that.

"They're planning through that now and being more circumspect on how to manage the cap differently."

There has been some conjecture over whether Dugan's best position is in the centres or at fullback. The NSW stalwart can command more money in the No.1 jersey, although youngster Jai Field is considered a potential long-term custodian. Coyne hopes he will stay put.

"He's great with the ball in his hands and at fullback you get a lot more carries," he said.

"Until he was injured he was one of the form players in the team. It doesn't matter where he plays as long as you get the ball in his hands a lot."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-to-resign-paul-mcgregor-20170414-gvl7sw.html

Well this says it all to me. Here was I thinking Coyne was going to be the voice of reason who would, with his colleagues bring the voice of change into the ears of the Board. Well talk about a Wolf in sheep's clothing, he is an old boy with the same mentality as the rest of the gang.

We may as well give up because there IS NO AGENT OF CHANGE FOR THE GOOD OF THE CLUB involved at the moment. So Coyne and his committee:
Recommended that Mary only be made to do a small portion of the Head Coach duties.
Recommended that Millward be the Director of Recruitment and Pathways.
Credits Mary with the turnaround of the team.
Believes Dugan and Widdop should be retained somehow.
Believes Mary's contract should be extended.

He didn't say that Mary's salary + Millward's salary should equal a Head Coach's salary.
He didn't mention Mary's track record since taking on coaching at the Dragons.
He didn't say how we would fit Widdop, Dugan, Lafai, Mann and others under the cap.

Our only hope now is for WIN to buy in and purge the lot of them.

Last edited:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
"I don't like to get involved in that kind of thing".

But hey, re-sign McGregor (base on seven games this year!)

LOL.

BTW, WIN won't be purchasing a part of the club. I thought this was old news by now.

St Georgio

Juniors
I am extremely close to shifting to Mc Gregor side of the fence, I don't think there's anyone worthy of the job now, They play the Roosters,Storm,Sharks and Warrior's, you cannot deny an extension for McGregor if we are still position 1 on the Ladder, after those games we have the bye.

11Straight

Juniors
I'm still not sold on McGregor.
I didn't renew this year and still haven't, credit where it's due he deserves praise for what he has done this year but i want to see us playing this way all year before we commit to an extension and my wallet being emptied.

JDHD

Juniors
Doust came out last week and said that they were in no hurry to re-sign Mary. I'm not reading much into this. Besides, Mary was apparently told he needed to win 4 of the first 6 games and he's done more than that. I guess the real question is what will decide his fate? Is Doust waiting for a losing streak to justify the boot? Or is he waiting til after the finals in the hope that another more experienced coach magically materialises? Either way, there's no need to rush into this decision.

Reactions: Qdf

mickeylane

Bench
The club only needs 7 more games to win to make the 8 plus the 2 byes to get to 30 points.. 19 games left..

We are certainties for the 8!! IMO that's not good enough - this team has top 4 written all over it..

Mcgregor along w the top 5 key unsigned players have to be signed up asap so we can concentrate in making the Top 4

Packer
WIDDOP
DUGAN
Lafai
MANN

Gareth67

First Grade
As Mary has said on a number of occasions now , he is only concerned about this year - that is where his thoughts are - this year and only this year .

Yes , undoubtably he would like an extension , as he has unfinished business and that is to prove to himself and his critics that he is capable of taking the Dragons to the semis and beyond .

What occurs at seasons end he shall accept , for better or for worse . As you other gents have said , the team has changed for the better and as such he does deserve praise .

It is not only a case of stringing 5 from 6 wins together , but more so how the team has done it , by playing great attacking football . No ' flukes ' involved here , just good , decent football , that has the Dragons leading the comp. with their more fancied rivals lagging well and truly behind us .

That should be all that matters at this point in time , we or should I say Mary , can do no more than that for now .

Life's Good

Coach
& if we sign jowls & don't make the 8?

there is no hurry - no one is going to sign jowls from under our noses.
A simple and correct call. No club is knocking on Mary's door and no other coach is jumping out to be signed. We are in the softening up period that will lead to the inevitable re-signing of Mary. And in fairness he is earning that right(finally).
The club will say he has taken on board the lessons of the past blah blah blah. He will say the club supported him along the way blah blah blah.
I said before that I see this will be a marriage of convenience but that won't mean there won't be any love.

thebigredv

First Grade
If 3/4 of the way into the season we are still in the top 4, I'd say that would be about the time to sign him up again for a short contract. By then there will have sufficient time to bag a replacement who might offer us more if the team falters heavily, in and around the origin period. After being one of his biggest critics, I can see Mary has influence, good or bad, and I have an inkling his team may stand up in the finals, if we can just get there with a bit of comfort.

Will be interesting to see what happens now, let alone exciting. How good is it to be excited about the footy again!!