What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

IFR33K

Coach
He currently has a contract and has to honour that until the end. The Tigers withdrew the offer the day after the NRL announced that the likely Salary Cap would be $8.3M and not the $9+M that the clubs were banking on (Penrith could be in strife). Tigers are saying that it was this reduction in the projected Salary cap that meant they could not be sure they could still offer the $ 875K to Moses if Woods & teddy (hoigher priorities) took up their offers.

Keep in mind that these offers for Moses, Woods & Teddy (all highly over inflated except possibly Teddy) have been on the table for more than 6 months as is. In fact when Cleary arrived Woods contract was amended (reduced duration, same $$$ per year), Brooks offer was reduced (reduced $$ and term). They have all had over 6 months (closer to 9) to accept these deals. The longer the negotiations have gone on it has actually cost them all $$$ (except maybe Teddy). Tigers offers are still the highest. Moses could have accepted his offer months ago, stayed at the Tigers and pocketed the money. This crying poor because "Tigers didnt want me and pulled the offer" is bullshit. Tigers have been begging him to accept a ridiculous $ 875K contract for months.

Maybe Moses just wanted out of tiger town...

Glenneel

Bench
In the modern day game, a regular first grade half will command 500k plus. Shit, years ago st George paid 650/year for Widdop. If we are paying 700-750k for Moses, I can live with that. Let's not forget he also kicks goals.
He is no better than Gutho at kicking goals so no improvement over what we already have.

emjaycee

Coach
You are right, Ive no place in an Eels forum and I'm actually glad to be rid of Moses. I came here to see Eels fans opinions of him after Mondays game and also see if there was any mail on possible players that Parra would swap for him.

Feel free to answer my question though. You think it was possible for Mitchell and Isaac to contact Parra, negotiate a deal, sign and contract and ask for a release within 1.5hrs? The parra deal was done before Tigers withdrew the offer.
I think the scenario would be no different to any other contract negotiation in many businesses.
You have a preferred supplier (i.e Tigers) but you know there is a level of risk associated so you commence and proceed with negotiations with a second/alternate supplier (in this case Parra and maybe even others). Once you have both offers on the table, or one is withdrawn, you make a decision.

Once Tigers withdrew their offer, it wouldn't take long for Isaac and Mitchell to agree that the Parra offer was acceptable and to arrange to sign it.

Besides, it may have not been a formal contract that got signed 1.5 hours after the Tigers withdrawal, it could have been more simple acceptance of terms (hence why there has been no official announcement to date).

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Why? Moses signed after Brooks. Brooks signed BEFORE the offer was withdrawn as well. It was the fact that Brooks had signed and the NRL flagging the reduced forecast salary cap that prompted Tigers to prioritize Woods & Teddy and withdraw the offer. If anything what you said reinforces what happened. Its not a theory.

but you're claiming moses had a deal signed before brooks agreed to stay.

IF he did, we'd be trumpeting his signing before tigers officially claimed brooks re-signing.

IFR33K

Coach
No longer offering, signed and sealed. Im just another internet merkin claiming to know someone. Take it or leave it but thats what it is.

There are things as tpa's u know..

If he's currently on 600 then why would 850 be overs with the cap continually going up????

I take it it only became overs once he signed with a rival club, yeah????

84 Baby

Referee
Even if $875k is the figure, if released, as we would have him for half a year we only pay him half that amount. We are reportedly $700k under the cap atm so no trouble accommodating him for $400k odd.
Ignoring the NRL's registration of the contract or any contract subtleties, we can pay him whatever the f**k we wanted for this year. No need to halve any amount he's contracted for from the Tigers, we can agree to a completely new contract

Tiger5150

Bench
but you're claiming moses had a deal signed before brooks agreed to stay.

IF he did, we'd be trumpeting his signing before tigers officially claimed brooks re-signing.

No I'm not. Im claiming he had come to terms with Parra before the offer was withdrawn. Thats all. Brooks signed prior to the offer being withdrawn and that (along with NRL reducing the forecast cap) is what prompted the Tigers to concentrate on Woods & Teddy and withdraw the offer.

I'm not here to kick up dust and I'm keen for a dignified exit. FWIW other that some questionable judgements on value (almost as bad as the Tigers) I dont think Parra have done anything wrong here with regards to Moses nor do I think Tigers have done anything wrong, in fact Im quite proud of the way they have handled things. I merely initially interjected to address a perception that poor old Mitch had been wronged by the Tigers. He had an offer of near $900K on teh table for 9 months, his manager has been playign the club and trying to hold us to ransom. Its my opinion (based on some actual knowledge) that in part the withdrawal of the offer by the Tigers (as well as genuinely addressing the reduced cap and Teddy & Woods negotiations) was a final chess move by the Club to screw over Isaac Moses. The deal was done with Parra and Tigers moved to eliminate any potential manouvering by the manager.

Glenneel

Bench
Bigger than Woods and Dugan off contract?

NRL Pressure Gauge: 200-plus deals to be signed ahead of season 2018
Of those off-contract players, several are marquee talents capable of commanding $1 million plus.

The likes of James Tedesco, Blake Ferguson, Josh Dugan, Kieran Foran, Shaun Johnson, Aaron Woods Gareth Widdop and Cooper Cronk sit in the top tier, while Johnathan Thurston, Darius Boyd, Anthony Milford and Billy Slater are also still unsigned but expected to stay at their respective clubs.

Underneath the headline acts sit the likes of Dane Gagai, Josh Reynolds, Nathan Peats, James Roberts and Aidan Guerra.

http://bit.ly/2oFQvYK

The info nugget provided so far is a position we are fairly covered in: fullback/halves/backrow/centre leaves these few in bold above

Of these, Ferguson the least likely we'd be looking at with our log jam of centres. Foran, I suppose might be a fit, pushing Norman/Moses out of the halves and Guth to centre, Bevan to wing, likely though this represents way too much change.

I keep coming back to a forward but I see no listed headline act off contract?
Matulino at Warriors off contract end of year. Wouldn't class him as a massive signing but change of clubs or scenery might do him a world of good. Besides a dh another 1 or 2 big middle forwards would be a welcome addition. What about Tetivano? at Roosters, looks the goods and plays tough. You need a few of those guys in your pack.

emjaycee

Coach
he can with the eels, but not with the nrl.

the nrl rule is 10 business days mandatory before registration of contract.

Very ambiguous as the NRL press release stated at the time that the players are given a 10 day cooling off period and that the contract will be registered and that no club can announce a new signing until that period elapses.

Didn't stop Hayne waiving it and the NRL owned Titans announcing it the morning after he signed it.