What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In an 18 team comp...

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't mind players getting whatever they can, they put their health on the line for our entertainment. It is only a problem when what they want is either unaffordable for clubs or comes at the Exepnse of the game having enough kindy left over to keep growing, if it doesn't keep growing their wages will eventually take a hit. But best of luck to them it getting a good deal out of the nrl's $500milion plus annual revenue.

taipan

Referee
But the French comp is getting the crowds as does Soccer around the world.

And the NRL is getting as much from TV as the French union, with lesser players to attend to.The crowds for French union?

Soccer is a different story, they pass ridiculous amounts to their players.

BuffaloRules

Coach
French Premier League soccer only averages 19k crowds...

I wonder if their forums attract lunatic Englishmen whinging about how poor those numbers are?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nothing anti about it. They are at best static and have been for a very long time. That is a fact, there is no arguing it. You can make all the excuses in the world about weather, stadiums, transport, cost of chips or anything else but the fact remains, our crowds are going nowhere fast. It is a major fail in the nrl's 5 year plan. But this isnt about crowds, we have a million page thread elsewhere for that lol.

BuffaloRules

Coach
You are preaching to the converted that the NRL admin has been a failure,even when your man Smith was running the show and really showing them how to run up the expenses....

I am making the point that the NRL crowd sizes are not out of kilter with other sports in the world considering the popularity of the game in relatively small population catchment areas....

Should the NRL be satisfied? No. Can they be improved? Yes... But probably not as easily as you think...

Perth Red

Post Whore
At least with memberships they have set a target and actually done something to realise it. With crowds they havent, in fact they have arguably gone against trying to grow them with the agreed tv schedules and poor fixture scheduling.

This is directly negatively effecting clubs sustainability leading to less chance of expansion.

We'll never get to afl levels, the games just not that popular, but we should be daylight ahead of other codes like soccer and union but in many cases we aren't and we should be seeing gradual improvements, which we aren't.

T-Boon

Coach
Should the Melbourne Storm be relocated to the Sunshine Coast?

They have totally abandoned the development of RL in Victoria.

The NRL deserves a Melbourne based team that is interested in Victorian Rugby League.

Reactions: siv

King hit

Coach
Should the Melbourne Storm be relocated to the Sunshine Coast?

They have totally abandoned the development of RL in Victoria.

The NRL deserves a Melbourne based team that is interested in Victorian Rugby League.

Storm are backed by News and they are a successful club so there is no chance of them moving.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lol, yes news sold them years ago.

I do agree though, no point in a Melbourne nrl team if it's isn't part of a bigger strategy to grow the game in Victoria. You can thank the nswrl for the storm not having junior Melbourne based teams.

siv

First Grade
Lol, yes news sold them years ago.

I do agree though, no point in a Melbourne nrl team if it's isn't part of a bigger strategy to grow the game in Victoria. You can thank the nswrl for the storm not having junior Melbourne based teams.

I dont think so

Rule is they need to have their RG team aligned with NSW Cup team as well as their junior teams

Melbourne chose not to

They dont have a RG team and dont have any junior teams

They are using VRL development funds to fund a U18 and U16 team flights to Queensland

johnny plath

Juniors
I dont think so

Rule is they need to have their RG team aligned with NSW Cup team as well as their junior teams

Melbourne chose not to

They are using VRL development funds to fund a U18 and U16 team flights to Queensland

Sorry siv, but seriously how the f**k do you know that they are using VRL funds for this.. not really sure what you are talking about actually. Currently Sunny Coast Falcons are a feeder for Storm and have teams in the MM Cup and U20 Fogs Colts cup. MM team is all local Sunny Coast rep players, while the 20s are predominantly local, but have an overflow of Storm NYC players as well. At the same time, the Victorian Rugby League also has teams that play in the same comps. I'm no Storm fan by any stretch, but who on here actually knows what the storm do in terms of Junior development in Melbourne. I don't disagree that they should be doing something, but people here seem to think that every club runs the same development model as the Sydney based clubs with their junior boundaries and claim to their own juniors. Wouldn't junior development in Victoria be a responsibility of the VRL, same way that in QLD junior development is overseen by the QRL, not the Queensland based NRL teams. Its a different model outside of Sydney to the one that has evolved through the Sydney and then NSWRL comps. Maybe Storm partner with VRL to do that, I don't know.

Also on the question of Melbourne moving to Sunny Coast... its an emphatic no. Seriously that idea is just a dots on maps vision.... Sure RL has great support here, but there are no corporates, and no real huge industry to support an NRL team. Part of the reason they hooked up with Melbourne was to get funding to support the Falcons, so if not enough support without Storm input I can't see how an NRL club would be sustainable here.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I dont think so

Melbourne chose not to

Ahh yes the classic NSWRL line that Victoria and the ACT are somehow under their jurisdiction so the Storm and Raiders must be connected with NSWcup teams for their reserves, or pay through the nose for the right to field their own team in the competition.

The NRL stepped in and forced them to stop pulling that BS just after they had completely destroyed our relationship with Souths Logan and just in time for the Storm to save their deal with the Sunshine Coast, because guess what turns out that the NSWRL don't have control of clubs from outside of NSW.