What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yes, the ANZAC jerseys do raise money for the RSL.

Prometheus

Juniors
About this time every year we see people here discussing whether the commemorative ANZAC round is just commercial exploitation by the NRL, or if it actually raises money for our returned service-persons. We all know that the clubs auction off the player-worn jerseys to raise money for the RSL, but there never seems to be any indication of whether the jerseys sold to fans contribute to the fundraising.

I just noticed the following statement on nrlshop.com -

**5% of proceeds from the sale of every Anzac Round Jersey will be donated to the RSL’s Anzac Appeal**

So now we know for certain. I decided to post this in a thread of its own so that the information isn't lost in a jersey thread hundreds of pages long.

kdalymc

Bench
Yep. Should be every cent. It's meant to be illegal...
Woolies got in trouble for
"Never forget the Anzacs- Fresh in our memories"
And the NRL can sell jerseys for $180, that cost $30 and donate $9....

AJB1102

First Grade
$5 from every sale of the Souths ANZAC jersey goes to charity. The other $145 I'm not sure about.

beave

Coach
Cowboys are doing $5 to Legacy with each jersey sale. Better than nothing but pretty piss poor in the scheme of things.

They are also marketing it as a 'Commemorative' jersey and not 'anzac'........

Prometheus

Juniors
%5 of proceeds? That's pretty poor. Thats no more then a token gesture.

They'd make more from auctioning them off then 5% of the profits of not that many jersey sales. Should be 100% of profits if they were doing it for the cause.

Well, we can guess, but we don't really know what the profit margin on jerseys is. 5% of proceeds means 5% of the price you are charged. It would be larger percentage of the profits.

AJB1102

First Grade
Any fan contemplating buying an ANZAC jersey should just donate $100 to an ANZAC charity. You'll make a much better contribution and save yaself $50+.

If the Clubs make anything above breaking even on the production of the jerseys is grubby.

jonno_knights

Juniors

Its like all these pop up "charity" fun runs, where they say a percentage of profits go to a range of local charities...

In other words, they pay the creators/administrators a healthy wage, then donate whatever small amount is left over to other "charities" so their creators/administration can pocket a nice sum of money too... and then maybe at the end there is a little left over to help the people in need.

The day and age we live in, where multi million dollar corporations have campaigns to take advantage of the publics good will.

Prometheus

Juniors
Any fan contemplating buying an ANZAC jersey should just donate $100 to an ANZAC charity. You'll make a much better contribution and save yaself $50+.

You do realise some people buy them because they actually want a jersey to wear, right?

Chimp

Juniors
It is all a bit Tim Simona-esq, they're just been more upfront about it.

They market the shirts as 'ANZAC', make a profit and give a small amount to charity.... Isn't that very similar to what Simona was guilty of? A charity auction of shirts, keeping lions share of profit for himself and only giving a small amount to charity....

Wonder if the NRL would deregister themselves 'indefinitely'?

It is not illegal to use the term if they have the permission of the Federal Minister for Veterans' Affairs. This page outlines the rules and regulations regarding use of the term ANZAC - https://www.dva.gov.au/commemorations-memorials-and-war-graves/protecting-word-Anzac

I dare say the NRL, unlike Woolies, applied for permission to use the term for the team jerseys. The RSL would not object as they are getting a donation from their sale.

Last edited:
Talking of anzac rorts, afl put their anzac day ticket prices up by up to 80%. I wonder where all that cash goes too.

hrundi99

First Grade
When I worked in merch at a NRL club 10 years ago we bought jerseys for about $110 and sold them for $150-160.

Just Visiting

Juniors
Semi unrelated but it shits me that when going through Woolies checkout and they are asking everyone to donate $2 to something. I always think to myself, seriously you guys make a couple billion a year and are asking me to donate.

Prometheus

Juniors
When I worked in merch at a NRL club 10 years ago we bought jerseys for about $110 and sold them for $150-160.

So the mark-up was about a third of the recommended retail price. Of course, that isn't the profit margin, because you still have to factor in the overheads of the retailer selling the jerseys. The actual profits would be less. So 5% of proceeds is a considerably higher percentage of the profits.

Last edited:

Latest posts