What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings

Edwahu

Bench
Thats pretty easy. Put the "Third Party" definition honestly back into the TPA definition. That is centralise them with the NRL independent of club bids for players under the salary cap rather than pretending they are 3rd party when everyone knows they are part of a clubs comsolidated non indepemdenr offer to a player.

Third party sponsors can approach the NRL and the offer be registered with them independent of any club involvement, and the salary cap remains untarnished. The money stays in the game but it is no longer rigged. Once registered than can only approach a player who is on contract and not coming off in the current year. They cammot be.linked in term or duration.to the players club contract.

Those that come out and say they want to do a player sponsorship but only if player is with Club X are not third party and can be pushed back to the club as a sponsor.

Those found rorting (player, club and third party) have all contracts torn up including the cap contract.

The players can still earn the money bit within the regulations set down.

Still open to rorting if not policed properly but it leaves zero ambiguity around TPA"s.
It's good in theory but the NRL can't stop a third party requiring a players deal to be dependant on him been at a specific club. By definition the NRL has zero control over third parties until a club is directly involved with them (and dumb enough to document it).

Pedge1971

First Grade
It's good in theory but the NRL can't stop a third party requiring a players deal to be dependant on him been at a specific club. By definition the NRL has zero control over third parties until a club is directly involved with them (and dumb enough to document it).

So make a change and regulate it. They would not be the first industry in the world to regulate protocols around compensation for its highest earners. Financial Services industry are always doing it.

nick87

Coach
Exactly, yet the NRL want us to invest in our juniours. The raiders were exactly right when they lost Milford to Brisbane when they said they are downgrading their juniours spending cause what's the point?

You spend thousands of dollars and years on these kids, get them to where they should be then someone else comes along, offers their mrs an admin job at the club for $150kpa and takes them away.

NRL says it's all sweet.

Just to tact on here, the method of scaling back our junior investment and focusing on targeted recruiting is why we are where we are now

Wighton, Cotric, Croker, Boyd, Papalii and Bateman are the only guys in our best 17 who have been at this club since U20s. 1 third of the team, which is totally opposite to how we usually operate

Our 20s team stinks too, where that leads us or the code in the Riverina in 15 years time? I don't know. But the league has dictated to us this is how we need to go to be successful
And here we are

Edwahu

Bench
So make a change and regulate it. They would not be the first industry in the world to regulate protocols around compensation for its highest earners. Financial Services industry are always doing it.
Problem is there are 400 first grade players who can easily take collective action vs probably 100 million financial services workers. The NRL can regulate it if they pay through the nose in the CBA, but I don't see that happening.

Nice Beaver

First Grade

If the theory behind 3rd party deals, is that the deal is completely exclusive of any club and based on a sponsor wanting to pay a player as an individual, then in "theory" that is exactly what the NRL can do.

The entire system as it stands is a bloody joke. Everyone from Greenberg down knows the deals are made by the clubs.

If the idea of TPAs was actually implemented in the spirit that it should be, then Pedge's system should be pretty much bang on.

But we all know that it was NEVER implemented to do anything but favour the chosen few....

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Problem is there are 400 first grade players who can easily take collective action vs probably 100 million financial services workers. The NRL can regulate it if they pay through the nose in the CBA, but I don't see that happening.

Of course the change would have to honour current deals.

But a line in the sand has to be drawn somewhere and the system overhauled.

Not a chance while Greenberg is around, but we live in hope for one day.

davi

Juniors
Remaining players and clubs.

Tigers- after Widdop and Dugan
Knights- really have lucked out, the only one I've heard interest is James Graham
Warriors- will turn to resigning Shaun Johnson and look for a five-eight within the club.
Storm- after Widdop

Edwahu

Bench
If the theory behind 3rd party deals, is that the deal is completely exclusive of any club and based on a sponsor wanting to pay a player as an individual, then in "theory" that is exactly what the NRL can do.

The entire system as it stands is a bloody joke. Everyone from Greenberg down knows the deals are made by the clubs.

If the idea of TPAs was actually implemented in the spirit that it should be, then Pedge's system should be pretty much bang on.

But we all know that it was NEVER implemented to do anything but favour the chosen few....
I think it's a misconception that 3rd party means it can't be linked to a specific club. If you read the rule it only states that a club can't be involved in the deal or have any sort of sponsorship with the third party.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Remaining players and clubs.

Tigers- after Widdop and Dugan
Knights- really have lucked out, the only one I've heard interest is James Graham
Warriors- will turn to resigning Shaun Johnson and look for a five-eight within the club.
Storm- after Widdop

Apparently the tigers have said they aren't interested in Cronk which I find ridiculous, it appears he will be retiring now

Interesting to see where the Foran signing leaves the current 6/7/9 at the dogs. Mybe is the only one under contract and for big coin. You would think if the Tigers/Knights went hard for josh Reynolds they'd probably get him

Nice Beaver

First Grade
I think it's a misconception that 3rd party means it can't be linked to a specific club. If you read the rule it only states that a club can't be involved in the deal or have any sort of sponsorship with the third party.

I didn't misconceive it at all.

My point is, there is NO way known that 3rd party deals are not sourced by the clubs.

Having a 3rd party who stipulates such a clause only perpetuates the stigma of cheating.

Get rid of anything that creates this cloud of doubt and innuendo.

macavity

Referee
I didn't misconceive it at all.

My point is, there is NO way known that 3rd party deals are not sourced by the clubs.

Having a 3rd party who stipulates such a clause only perpetuates the stigma of cheating.

Get rid of anything that creates this cloud of doubt and innuendo.

Did you read my post above? Takes TPAs out of the equation while not limiting theoretical earning capacity. Simples.

RWB

Bench
It's not the fact these clubs are scouting and signing players from other clubs

It's the fact that the NRL continues to let the weak clubs get weaker and the stronger clubs to get stronger (regarding tpas)

Look what's happened these past 2 weeks

Brisbane who are running along smoothly sign an origin star in Jack Bird while a poor Newcastle side miss out on his services

Roosters are also running along smoothly and sign Tedesco from the Tigers while they continue to struggle

Dogs get Woods Foran etc etc

Who are the winners in this ? (The stronger clubs) Dogs, Brisbane and Eoosters

Who are the losers in this ? (The weaker clubs)

Give it a few more years and NRL will be similar to EPL where only about 4-5 teams are competitive

Yes the strongest always survive... this fact has been true for billions of years.

Get strong or quit whinging about it, no club has a divine right to play in the NRL and if your club needs a helping hand to make it a level playing field then they're probably holding the game back.

I do feel for the supporters because in all honesty there's little we can do to influence the way our clubs are run and who they are run by when you really sit down and look at it. But your anger at the NRL is misguided, they shouldn't be handicapping their strongest performers just so their weaker performers can play catch up. That's just bad business.

Clifferd

Coach
Yes the strongest always survive... this fact has been true for billions of years.

Get strong or quit whinging about it, no club has a divine right to play in the NRL and if your club needs a helping hand to make it a level playing field then they're probably holding the game back.

I do feel for the supporters because in all honesty there's little we can do to influence the way our clubs are run and who they are run by when you really sit down and look at it. But your anger at the NRL is misguided, they shouldn't be handicapping their strongest performers just so their weaker performers can play catch up. That's just bad business.

Wests Tigers are a popular brand and is important in keeping a stronghold in Campbelltown / South Western Sydney area. Just look how popular we were in the Benji Marshall era and booming crowds

Same with Newcastle. Absolute bottom feeders but pulled a 21k crowd on the weekend..imagine if they were up the top like the roosters

NRL encourages teams to develope their own juniors. So the Tigers do that while other teams poach their players, at the end of the day we might get sick of all that and suddenly funds start to thin in the grass roots and there is a sudden talent pool loss. It's a cycle

Fifita
Korobeite
Addo-Carr
Farah (although past it)
Marshall
Tedesco
Woods
Moses
Heighnington
Te'o

Etc etc

You can nearly make a team out of players who have kicked on from our own developement

Vic Mackey

Referee

That's exactly the sole reason of a salary cap. You'd nearly prefer they just get rid of it completely cause so we can see how it really is.

Like I said I don't expect you to get what it's like to lose a guy like this. Someone you'd heard about in the matts team as a kid to watch out for. Heard that your great white hope was debuting at NYC level so getting to the game early to see him. Chatting to guys on the hill 'that Tedesco kid looks alright' Then having him debut for your club at a suburban home ground. Watch him progress and then move into his prime as the player you'd always hoped he would be.

Then get snatched up by another club for 'less money' who realistically don't give a shit about him and if he has one average season or a serious injury will shop him around without a second thought and move on to the next wonderkid that someone else developed.

Part of the reason I love rugby league so much is the tribalism between Sydney clubs. I see that greatly disappearing and to me stuff like this has everything to do with it.

I loved the 2005 grand final win so much more because of guy's like Benji, Gibbs, Fulton, Farah, Harrison, Collis, Laffranchi, Heighington ET. who id been watching for years coming through the grades. They were now showing what we'd always hoped they could do on the big stage and I have no doubts I enjoyed that more then if I watched my club win a como with 15 guys they'd bought in the last 3 years.

Like I said I'd been talking about Tedesco with mates who support the club for 3 years before you'd even heard of him. You love your club and you're used to them buying whoever they want, that's fine. They do it that way and they do it bloody well.

My team can't do that, not yet and maybe never. So I get enjoyment and hope out of watching the kids they've brought through.

Clifferd

Coach
That's exactly the sole reason of a salary cap. You'd nearly prefer they just get rid of it completely cause so we can see how it really is.

Like I said I don't expect you to get what it's like to lose a guy like this. Someone you'd heard about in the matts team as a kid to watch out for. Heard that your great white hope was debuting at NYC level so getting to the game early to see him. Chatting to guys on the hill 'that Tedesco kid looks alright' Then having him debut for your club at a suburban home ground. Watch him progress and then move into his prime as the player you'd always hoped he would be.

Then get snatched up by another club for 'less money' who realistically don't give a shit about him and if he has one average season or a serious injury will shop him around without a second thought and move on to the next wonderkid that someone else developed.

Part of the reason I love rugby league so much is the tribalism between Sydney clubs. I see that greatly disappearing and to me stuff like this has everything to do with it.

I loved the 2005 grand final win so much more because of guy's like Benji, Gibbs, Fulton, Farah, Harrison, Collis, Laffranchi, Heighington ET. who id been watching for years coming through the grades. They were now showing what we'd always hoped they could do on the big stage and I have no doubts I enjoyed that more then if I watched my club win a como with 15 guys they'd bought in the last 3 years.

Like I said I'd been talking about Tedesco with mates who support the club for 3 years before you'd even heard of him. You love your club and you're used to them buying whoever they want, that's fine. They do it that way and they do it bloody well.

My team can't do that, not yet and maybe never. So I get enjoyment and hope out of watching the kids they've brought through.

Yep I remember watching Tedesco tear Melbourne storm in the u20s at leicharddt in 2011 as a fresh 18 year old I believe scoring 5 tries. Was talking to everyone on the hill how much of a freak he was and how we thought he would be our next best thing and look at him now

Pete Cash

Post Whore
We went through this shit in 2013 and 2014 where we were losing players and couldnt sign anyone and anyone we signed backflipped.,

We had to pay overs to sign waqa and it kind of stopped the rot. I reckon it convinced players we werent a complete disaster. Obviously we moved waqa on but man was that signing sweet at the time lol.

Looking at the players we signed sticky identified players he liked the look of and that he thought he could get. Especially after the high profile knock backs. So gun hard for young players he think will be good tapine and paulo. Players looking for first grade like Austin. Players from england like hodgson and whitehead. Players who are hypothetically good but such a disaster nobody wants them like BJ and taylor. (Bj came to canberra in such bad condition he could barely legally tackle)

The luckiest signing considering his ridiculous output was rapana who was just playing in the canberra raiders cup. I think he was trying to get a brumbies contract too.

The tigers are so cashed up that i cant imagine the pain will last too long

The knights need a few lucky breaks like we got though

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Wests Tigers are a popular brand and is important in keeping a stronghold in Campbelltown / South Western Sydney area. Just look how popular we were in the Benji Marshall era and booming crowds

Same with Newcastle. Absolute bottom feeders but pulled a 21k crowd on the weekend..imagine if they were up the top like the roosters

NRL encourages teams to develope their own juniors. So the Tigers do that while other teams poach their players, at the end of the day we might get sick of all that and suddenly funds start to thin in the grass roots and there is a sudden talent pool loss. It's a cycle

Fifita
Korobeite
Addo-Carr
Farah (although past it)
Marshall
Tedesco
Woods
Moses
Heighnington
Te'o

Etc etc

You can nearly make a team out of players who have kicked on from our own developement

out of that entire list only heighington and tedesco are from a wests/balmain local catchment, robbie debatable from enfield and fifita from blacktown

those are your nurseries....everyone else is a POACH no different to what the chooks and manly do with their "tier 2" identified juniors

Bazal

Post Whore
We went through this shit in 2013 and 2014 where we were losing players and couldnt sign anyone and anyone we signed backflipped.,

We had to pay overs to sign waqa and it kind of stopped the rot. I reckon it convinced players we werent a complete disaster. Obviously we moved waqa on but man was that signing sweet at the time lol.

Looking at the players we signed sticky identified players he liked the look of and that he thought he could get. Especially after the high profile knock backs. So gun hard for young players he think will be good tapine and paulo. Players looking for first grade like Austin. Players from england like hodgson and whitehead. Players who are hypothetically good but such a disaster nobody wants them like BJ and taylor. (Bj came to canberra in such bad condition he could barely legally tackle)

The luckiest signing considering his ridiculous output was rapana who was just playing in the canberra raiders cup. I think he was trying to get a brumbies contract too.

The tigers are so cashed up that i cant imagine the pain will last too long

The knights need a few lucky breaks like we got though

Rapana was a freak signing, you blokes should be thanking any god you believe in lol.

He was playing John I Dent cup and the Brumbies basically said they had younger talent they'd prefer over him...Sticky, for all his flaws, is all over the Canberra scene and went "hey, do you want a gig" and the rest is history. One of the greatest signings in my lifetime, honestly.