What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yes, the ANZAC jerseys do raise money for the RSL.

Prometheus

Juniors
Semi unrelated but it shits me that when going through Woolies checkout and they are asking everyone to donate $2 to something. I always think to myself, seriously you guys make a couple billion a year and are asking me to donate.

Actually, Woolworths made a $1.25 Billion loss last year after their Masters hardware chain went under.

hrundi99

First Grade
So the mark-up was about a third of the recommended retail price. Of course, that isn't the profit margin, because you still have to factor in the overheads of the retailer selling the jerseys. The actual profits would be less than. So 5% of proceeds is a considerably higher percentage of the profits.

Yes that's correct. Of all the products we sold, we made the least margin on jerseys.

hrundi99

First Grade
Part of the $110 came back from the NRL in royalties but it wasn't a massive amount as far as I can remember.

Prometheus

Juniors
Thanks hrundi99, that's very helpful. There seems to be a widespread misconception out there that the price of jerseys is almost all profit. Earlier in this thread somebody even suggested that the clubs probably get the jerseys for about $30 were prifiteering off the ANZAC round. People need to get their facts straight before forming an opinion.

kdalymc

Bench
Ummmmm I make jerseys/have 2 charity RL teams. I can also make an EXACT NRL jersey. With the rubber grips, the stretchy material etc etc. comes to about $50. You don't think the NRL get them a little bit cheaper cos they are umm the NRL... They selling them to old mate at Amart and making a fortune.

Prometheus

Juniors
So how many employees are you paying to work in your factories? How much are the power costs at your factories? How much are you spending on research and development of new fabrics? How many salaried graphic designers are you employing to come up with new designs for jerseys every year? How much are you paying in licensing fees for all the intellectual property you are using? How much does it cost you to re-tool your entire factory when you change your jersey templates? How much are the transport costs of shipping your stock to retailers in another hemisphere? How much are you paying people to sell your jerseys? How much is the rent on your retail outlets?

Chucking a few jerseys together on your mum's Janome isn't quite the same thing now is it.

Last edited:

kdalymc

Bench
??

i pay a company to make them. same as a club/the nrl do.
i get them for 50, so i would assume the nrl get them for LOTS cheaper than that..

Prometheus

Juniors
Two posts ago you said that you make them-
Ummmmm I make jerseys/have 2 charity RL teams.

Now you say you pay a company to make them?
I can also make an EXACT NRL jersey. With the rubber grips, the stretchy material etc etc. comes to about $50.
So you get a legitimate company to make counterfeit NRL jerseys? I find that hard to believe.

I've worked in the retail industry my entire life. I know people like to think that they are constantly being ripped off by giant corporations, but the reality is that businesses have considerable overheads to deal with. When you buy a jersey, you aren't just paying for the club to make some money through the licensing. You are also paying for a very long chain of companies to each make some money on top of covering their own costs and paying their own employees. You have the retailer who sells the jersey, the logistics company that distributed the stock to the retailers, the shipping company that brought the stock to Australia, the manufacturer that was contracted to make the jerseys, the sports clothing company who designed the jersey, and the many suppliers who provide the fabrics, dyes and machinery used to manufacture the jerseys. In fact, most modern jerseys are made primarily of polymers, which are ultimately created from crude oil. So you can even trace the costs of a jersey through petrochemical plants and oil refineries all the way back to the people who originally drilled the oil out of the ground.

When you consider the number of people and organisations involved in turning this-

oil_barrel.jpg

into this-

St-George-Dragons-2016-Home-Jersey-_159_large.gif

it is actually surprising that they don't cost more.

Life's Good

Coach
Two posts ago you said that you make them-

Now you say you pay a company to make them?

So you get a legitimate company to make counterfeit NRL jerseys? I find that hard to believe.

I've worked in the retail industry my entire life. I know people like to think that they are constantly being ripped off by giant corporations, but the reality is that businesses have considerable overheads to deal with. When you buy a jersey, you aren't just paying for the club to make some money through the licensing. You are also paying for a very long chain of companies to each make some money on top of covering their own costs and paying their own employees. You have the retailer who sells the jersey, the logistics company that distributed the stock to the retailers, the shipping company that brought the stock to Australia, the manufacturer that was contracted to make the jerseys, the sports clothing company who designed the jersey, and the many suppliers who provide the fabrics, dyes and machinery used to manufacture the jerseys. In fact, most modern jerseys are made primarily of polymers, which are ultimately created from crude oil. So you can even trace the costs of a jersey through petrochemical plants and oil refineries all the way back to the people who originally drilled the oil out of the ground.

When you consider the number of people and organisations involved in turning this-

into this-

St-George-Dragons-2016-Home-Jersey-_159_large.gif

it is actually surprising that they don't cost more.

What a great looking jersey.

Prometheus

Juniors
We've heard from somebody who actually worked in the merchandise department of an NRL club that the profit margin for the clubs is pretty low. He was clearly in a better position to know than you are. Accept it and move on.

Living here in China, I know exactly how cheap I can get a 2017 replica jersey for on its online shopping platform juggernaught, Taobao.com...and believe you me, about 10%/15% the price you'll pay in Oz/NZ.

Admittedly though, quality can vary...but I've snapped up a couple of damn near identicals just out of interest.

Last edited:

Prometheus

Juniors
Yeah, but those are counterfeit. They aren't paying for the licensing. They aren't paying the designers. They aren't using the best materials. They aren't conducting research into new materials. They aren't paying GST and I'm willing to bet that they are being sewn together by children in a communist-controlled Chinese sweatshop for next to nothing. My Reebok jerseys were made in Australia, by workers paid Australian wage rates. My ISC jerseys are made in Fiji to reduce labour costs, but even Fijian rates aren't anywhere near as low as those in China.