What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
They will but I have a feeling they are going to have to do what we did in 2011-2013. Pay massive overs for average (lussick) to below average first graders (Daniel Harrison)
Massive overs for average and below players is still a much lower percentage of your cap than massive overs to retain their stars like we did.

Overs for a player like Lussick /Nofoaluma might only be $100k at most. Overs for Hayne/Tedesco could run close to half a million more than a smart club would pay under the cap.

Forty20

First Grade
Wouldn't he be a rich man's Mannah? Similar player and role but he plays much bigger minutes.

Can't say I would be ecstatic if we picked him up but it would be an upgrade in the toiler department, which every team needs.

Chipmunk

Coach
Wouldn't he be a rich man's Mannah? Similar player and role but he plays much bigger minutes.

Can't say I would be ecstatic if we picked him up but it would be an upgrade in the toiler department, which every team needs.

If's he's contracted to the Dogs until 2020 and they need to offload players, I dare say you'd get him cheaper than most of our other middle forwards.

Forty20

First Grade
Yeah it is hard to deny the value in that regard. Continuing to build size and aggression in the pack would be ideal but with the rumoured funds we have available I guess there isn't any reason you couldn't add Tolman and then gun it for another prop to add that dynamic alongside Evans.

Chipmunk

Coach
Yeah it is hard to deny the value in that regard. Continuing to build size and aggression in the pack would be ideal but with the rumoured funds we have available I guess there isn't any reason you couldn't add Tolman and then gun it for another prop to add that dynamic alongside Evans.

You'd have to think that there will be plenty of horse trading to come. The cap is going up and there are now a few clubs with cash to spend, and we're probably one of them.

Djay

Juniors
Tolman is a BA type player too. Tough as nails, gives everything he has in the tank every week, makes metres and stops merkins in defence. Plus he actually has a bit of ball playing about him.

I'd have him in a heartbeat, I really rate the guy.

I don't rate him at all, his a plodder for mine and we have enough of them in our team now.

We need someone who is gonna make yards and impose their will on a game, would much prefer Graham or Klemmer from the Dogs.

I don't know who else is available but it's becoming alarmingly clear that it's gonna be hard to sign much quality, there isn't many forwards available that currently catch the eye.

It makes it very very hard when there is money to spend but you do not wanna be wasting it on average.

We are yet to replace Paulo and Peats, and who is there to replace them with, there is not much.

Bazal

Post Whore
I don't rate him at all, his a plodder for mine and we have enough of them in our team now.

We need someone who is gonna make yards and impose their will on a game, would much prefer Graham or Klemmer from the Dogs.

I don't know who else is available but it's becoming alarmingly clear that it's gonna be hard to sign much quality, there isn't many forwards available that currently catch the eye.

It makes it very very hard when there is money to spend but you do not wanna be wasting it on average.

We are yet to replace Paulo and Peats, and who is there to replace them with, there is not much.
You are kidding mate. I'm a Mannah fan, but when was the last time he made 200m in a game? Tolman did it 4 times last season, and got 150+ 6 more times. And he averaged 36 tackles.

This year he's cracked 150 twice already and averages 39 tackles. He's a machine

See above. A plodder he ain't, that's 100% certain

If's he's contracted to the Dogs until 2020 and they need to offload players, I dare say you'd get him cheaper than most of our other middle forwards.
That doesn't make sense to me. Getting rid of a player with a long contract means they will be subsidising his wages for longer. And the dogs signing Woods also seems mad as he's not what they need, he costs a shitload, and it means they have to shed contracted players, which means subsidising their wages, which means... You get the idea.

You are kidding mate. I'm a Mannah fan, but when was the last time he made 200m in a game? Tolman did it 4 times last season, and got 150+ 6 more times. And he averaged 36 tackles.

This year he's cracked 150 twice already and averages 39 tackles. He's a machine

I'm not kidding don't rate him. I'd rather Mannah any day and I don't really rate Mannah.

Unlike BA, I reckon you can't always get what you want. Sometimes you've just gotta get the best available, even if you don't like it. Particularly in areas where your team is in critical need. Like getting Moses.

Bazal

Post Whore
I'm not kidding don't rate him. I'd rather Mannah any day and I don't really rate Mannah.

The stats speak for themselves. Not many props can make over 150m 10 games a season.

Yeah he's not a Klemmer type, but he's better than anyone we have at the moment bar maybe Brown. He'd be a great pick up.

The stats speak for themselves. Not many props can make over 150m 10 games a season.

Yeah he's not a Klemmer type, but he's better than anyone we have at the moment bar maybe Brown. He'd be a great pick up.

We don't need toilers we need people who can bend the line e.g Jubior Paulo types. We have too many light weights as it is

Bazal

Post Whore
We don't need toilers we need people who can bend the line e.g Jubior Paulo types. We have too many light weights as it is

We need the best of what we can get. Evans is a line bender, so is Vave, so is Matagi. What we need is metre makers.

Tolman plays like 60 mins a game. Start with him and Mannah, Brown at lock (who has exceeded 150m three times this season). That gives you bulk metres and a massive potential for impact off the bench. Brown and Tolman at 60 odd mins a game and an almost guaranteed 100-150m, Mannah at 40-50 mins a game and 100m+ more often than not, you can bring on a Matagi and a Vave and an Evans to go absolutely nuts for 30 mins and play that Junior Paulo role....

Djay

Juniors

Spot on, people bang on about Matagi etc, he is no where near as damaging as what Junior was, people forget how big of a loss he really was. It is showing now, our prop rotation is simply not good enough in my eyes and we don't get enough big minutes out of any of them.

Tolman is a toiler, he straightens up the attack but does by no means bend the line we have enough of them in our team.

We need some heavyweight forwards who attract more defenders then most.

Bazal

Post Whore
Spot on, people bang on about Matagi etc, he is no where near as damaging as what Junior was, people forget how big of a loss he really was. It is showing now, our prop rotation is simply not good enough in my eyes and we don't get enough big minutes out of any of them.

Tolman is a toiler, he straightens up the attack but does by no means bend the line we have enough of them in our team.

We need some heavyweight forwards who attract more defenders then most.

Without developing those players and paying overs to keep them, you will not get them. They are rare as hens teeth.

Matagi, Vave, and Evans can play that role but you need to manage them. As I said like one post ago, you have big minutes from Brown and Tolman and Mannah, who are three players who always make metres, and that allows you to play Matagi and Vave and Evans for less minutes, which means they can all go nuts.

Are you aware that Tolman made 200m twice as many times last season as Junior Paulo has in his entire career?

Djay

Juniors
Unlike BA, I reckon you can't always get what you want. Sometimes you've just gotta get the best available, even if you don't like it. Particularly in areas where your team is in critical need. Like getting Moses.
Of course and that's what makes hearing this Foran to Dogs news so hard to hear, we had him here and could have built a team around him and what we had last year. Instead we have no Foran and lost 2 of our most important players last year. Plain and simple.

Moses will be good I just hope BA gets the best out of him, as for forwards though and a hooker, who?

Peats doesn't sound like his interested in returning? Lichaa is a mystery, maybe the change is what he needs? As for forwards Evans will be good, but someone like a Klemmer would be nice or any other damaging forwards that are forced out of clubs.

Until we get those positions covered as well as a Semi replacement, I won't be satisfied. it's just been so glaringly obvious this year. Our defence has been THE biggest disappointment, but our dummy half options and forward rotation are definitely behind it.

Bazal

Post Whore
Of course and that's what makes hearing this Foran to Dogs news so hard to hear, we had him here and could have built a team around him and what we had last year. Instead we have no Foran and lost 2 of our most important players last year. Plain and simple.

Moses will be good I just hope BA gets the best out of him, as for forwards though and a hooker, who?

Peats doesn't sound like his interested in returning? Lichaa is a mystery, maybe the change is what he needs? As for forwards Evans will be good, but someone like a Klemmer would be nice or any other damaging forwards that are forced out of clubs.

Until we get those positions covered as well as a Semi replacement, I won't be satisfied. it's just been so glaringly obvious this year. Our defence has been THE biggest disappointment, but our dummy half options and forward rotation are definitely behind it.

Our forwards are fine. Nathan Brown is up with the elite this season FFS.

Halves and hooker are our biggest concern. We've addressed the halves with Moses, we've added a big body (albeit overrated at this stage) in Evans....we need a reasonable hooker.

Djay

Juniors
Without developing those players and paying overs to keep them, you will not get them. They are rare as hens teeth.

Matagi, Vave, and Evans can play that role but you need to manage them. As I said like one post ago, you have big minutes from Brown and Tolman and Mannah, who are three players who always make metres, and that allows you to play Matagi and Vave and Evans for less minutes, which means they can all go nuts.

Are you aware that Tolman made 200m twice as many times last season as Junior Paulo has in his entire career?
Not really I am not huge on stats, and take it for what I see.

Opposing defences would prefer to tackle Tolman as opposed to Paulo.

Yes he make 200m+ but he plays more minutes, Paulo in his lesser minutes on the field impacts a game much more and gets his team rolling.

A 60-8-min man vs a 40min man will always have better stats as he plays more minutes, I am talking someone who can impact a game and cause problems for opposing teams.

Paulo plays less but boy does he impact a game, Tolman plods along for 60mins and gradually makes decent meterage.